Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

2013 Eurovision Song Contest.

I have been watching this show, on and off for what must be getting on for 50 years ......

Originally it was about 10 or 14 countries in Western Europe who fancied a bit of a get together for a sing-song. Enormous fun, that no-one took that seriously.

Move on 50 years, to almost 40 participating countries, that now include bits of Asia ... Tactical voting is rife .... Big money event, with few 'genuine best songs' winning.

This year was particularly frustrating for me.

I have a clear winner, with a clear 2nd (in true Eurovision tradition) and a good 3rd and 4th with 'club' songs, with a probable no.5 also being a club song

About 5 entries were obviously written by trained monkey's, and about half barely deserving their national accreditation, including the UK entrant. [Average song, sung by older person who has no place on the UK music scene any longer.]

Will post the Freddy Euro 2013 Top 5 later.

Here is a link to the two worst of the 39 entries....

>>

<< dour. :huh: "That's why birds don't fly." :rolleyes: Came in 9th!!

Closely followed by ...... >>

<< "Alcohol is free." Must of been.... :blink: Came in 6th!! Edited by FastFreddy2

So, in reverse order ......

These will need to be played with decent speakers, or headphones, BTW. ;)

No.5 The German entry from >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HYTd7WDCPg. << Notice everyone dancing, but came in 21st behind the UK.

No.4 From Slovenia. >>

<< A bit wobbly on the night, so didn't make the final. Great (modern) dance track.

No.3 From Ireland the much criticised >>

<< A bit camp, but a good song, well sung. 26th??

No.2 From Russia, what could have been a True Euro Anthem. >>

<< Came in 5th!!

And just to confirm I have tastes outside dance music..... The No1 song I can't stop playing .....

From Norway ....... >>

<< Truly stunning, foot stomping song. Came in 4th !! ??

Edited by FastFreddy2

And just to confirm I have tastes outside dance music..... The No1 song I can't stop playing .....

From Norway ....... >>

<< Truly stunning, foot stomping song. Came in 4th !! ??

And now with the correct(ed) link. :rolleyes::D

Must've played it 50 times ... Still sounds great. B)

My personal top two at 2013 Eurovision song contest was Norway and Azerbaijan... liked those most of all.

My personal top two at 2013 Eurovision song contest was Norway and Azerbaijan... liked those most of all.

The Azerbaijan entry singer

was good, and the song production excellent. But, I felt the song relied too much on the chorus hook "Hold me" which was used a little too often, it certainly didn't deserve 2nd position for this reason. One or two other songs overly repeated their hooks too, making it seem like some lyricists had been a bit lazy?

The Azerbaijan stage show on the final was a little distracting to the theme of the song. I didn't see the connection with the lyrics and (i) the shadow performer, nor (ii) the model who showed up later? Both pleasant enough, but distracting (for me). What's the idea of a threesome when listening to a love song? :huh:

On a rather sour note, there has been a widespread allegation that Azerbaijan had some financial influence over voting panels in other countries, not least due to their getting maximum points from 10 of them. :huh: A situation I find hard to see as realistic given the less than perfect lyrics and strange stage show. [Russia did a much better job with their take on a very similar theme.]

Azerbaijan is closer to China than Central Europe and sit on the North border of Iran, so I don't know how they qualify for entry into the E.S.C. either? Unless it's now called the Eurasian Song Contest? Which is actually, a more accurate title given the location of some Middle Eastern competitors.....

Edited by FastFreddy2

I don't speak Hungarian, so had to look at another version of the vid to understand what the song is about.

See here >> Clicky << and captions need to be switched on to see the translation while the band sings.

The 'ding-dong' melody works and could be said to have been done in true E.S.C. tradition. The singer is off key once or twice, and the lyrics would not do well here in the UK. "Sweetheart" is not a term we use any longer. Given the hook is repeated so often, and the whole song seems to be repeated twice, I can understand why it didn't appeal to me, even though it came in 10th out of 26 Finalists. Not too shabby at all. B)