Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Celeb Outfits - Yes Or No?

16 minutes ago, pointyboot said:

This thread has become IMMENSELY interesting since I revived it recently. :D

Indeed! Thanks! Revive another!

Freddy:   You have broadened the discussion concerning defamation and other forms of comment or disclosure way beyond the previous limits.   The English law on defamation was somewhat modified by the Defamation Act 2013.

There is a difference between 'fair comment' (now called 'honest opinion') and 'truth'.   A statement which is made maliciously will negate the defence otherwise available of being an honest opinion.   A malicious statement which is 'true' cannot be actioned in defamation but might be actionable in other ways, if damage is caused and proven.

My comment about you being 'obtuse' was not, as I trust you realise, intended to be offensive (let alone malicious or defamatory!) and of course it was you who described yourself thus. ;)

And of course if a defamation action is unsuccessful there is always recourse to the defenestration action  

6 hours ago, Puffer said:

My comment about you being 'obtuse' was not, as I trust you realise, intended to be offensive (let alone malicious or defamatory!) and of course it was you who described yourself thus. ;)

I thought I had 'outed' myself on that line, though I'm pretty sure I'm not as obtuse as you have been in the past. (No offence..... ;) :D)

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

And of course if a defamation action is unsuccessful there is always recourse to the defenestration action  

Although I will not remember this word, I never stop being surprised at the things I can learn here ... ;) B)

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’m just an old sesquipedalian at heart...

Then you will certainly need a good lawyer when your case comes up ...

On 28/01/2018 at 9:58 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

Androgyny is either a foot in both 'camps', or a foot in neither.

If ever there was an icon for androgyny, it would be Tilda Swinton. 

493FCCED00000578-5397053-image-a-63_1518

From >> here <<

I always feel uneasy when I see a woman wearing a man's formal evening suit, or in top hat and tails.   It is such an obvious theft of a very male outfit, even if modified - just about the only thing a man can wear to a formal function - yet the 'fair sex' wears it in preference to the sort of very feminine and elegant dress that no man could ever appear in without ridicule!   And the suggestion of cross-dressing or lesbian lifestyle that underlies the woman in such an outfit (think Marlene Dietrich) can be discomforting - perhaps the more so when we know that we men cannot reciprocate even if we wish to.

OK, I can agree that a woman dressed thus (with or without some contrasting but very feminine footwear) can look attractive as well as elegant - but it is still masquerade if not piracy in my book. 

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

elegant - but it is still masquerade if not piracy in my book. 

"Piracy", what a novel term for it. :D

In most other species on the planet, it is the male who is the 'peacock' to the usually dour 'peahen'. What went wrong?  :rolleyes:

The Great Male Renunciation in the 18th century, when men forswore adornment and colour in favour of the sobriety and intellectualism of the so-called Age of Enlightment. And we’ve never recovered from this 18th century mindset!

15 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

The Great Male Renunciation in the 18th century, when men forswore adornment and colour in favour of the sobriety and intellectualism of the so-called Age of Enlightment. And we’ve never recovered from this 18th century mindset!

Beau Brummell is doubtless spinning in his grave. :(

He’s probably still being chased through the afterlife by his many, many creditors

Edited by Shyheels

16 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Yes, ole Beau was quite the character.

His modern-day counterpart is 'Beau Nidle'.   I've met several who would qualify for that epithet.   I do not, but 'Beau Legs' might (alas :() be apt - a slight characteristic of which I only became aware when wearing my highest heels. 

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

His modern-day counterpart is 'Beau Nidle'.   I've met several who would qualify for that epithet.   

Sadly, me too.

I think any government "income" should be means tested ..... It might cut down on the abuse. I don't agree with complete funding of anyone from overseas who claims 'asylum' either. So many times found to be abused, but a bit of a contentious view so I'll not speak of it further.

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

I do not, but 'Beau Legs' might (alas :() be apt - a slight characteristic of which I only became aware when wearing my highest heels. 

:D:D:D .... Beau legs .... very good! 

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’ve heard of Beau Bells, lives in the East End, I believe...

I left that one out for you to mention - although a rather 'Hackneyed' comment.   

Beau Thai runs a takeaway, I'm told.