Sign in to follow this  
shyguy

Oddities - Fun And Different Heels You'd Probably Never Wear

They are a long way from my size that's for sure. Finding nice classy stiletto boots in my size is not easy - or cheap! But will be worth it...

Edited by Shyheels

Just now, Shyheels said:

They are a long way from my size that's for sure. Finding nice classy stiletto boots in my size is not easy - or cheap! But will be worth it...

You are right about that. I recommend a brand called Sexyca. Made for both men and women in the UK, but available (I think) in your size. I found their sizing accurate and would have kept the boots I bought from them but for the usual problem - shaft with too much room. Good customer service too. 

I shall have a look. A name like that though suggests fetish and I am really looking for nice stiletto boots to wear to the office. Although I make light of my office dress code, I do want my boots to be classy and fashionable. 

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I do want my boots to be classy and fashionable. 

A stiletto heeled boot with 5" heel that looks classy and fashionable? No probs. UK size 10? :o 

I would respectfully suggest, you try something that fits with a heel, before you splash out £100's on having something made for you. It may be your ankles don't like a heel, or you don't enjoy walking around in one. When you know you want a pair made for you, then I would suggest sourcing them from one of the Leatherworks/LSB team. Someone in Scotland may be producing styles from the original lasts, and selling them under the Leatherworks branding. Historically, a very sturdy shoe, as is the Sexyca brand. But you are right, Sexyca doesn't cater for stay-at-home-mums. 

Pleaser and Ellie might do styles you like, but their boot shafts (as shown recently) may be loose on your legs.   

Edited by FastFreddy2

To my surprise, there are quite a lot of HH boots of various styles on Amazon, in sizes up to (allegedly) UK12 or UK13 - although I suspect some are not as generous as the size number suggests.   Prices range from £25 or so upwards.   

One pair of rather nice (but not so cheap) OTK boots (up to UK13) is here:   https://www.amazon.co.uk/UMEXI-Zipper-Stilettos-Contrast-Stitching/dp/B0783GFGSJ/ref=sr_1_85?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1515450744&sr=1-85&keywords=boots&refinements=p_n_size_three_browse-vebin%3A1920003031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A1919422031|1919426031&th=1&psc=1

As Freddy suggests, it may be sensible to buy something relatively cheap but suitably high (not necessarily a stiletto) simply to establish whether a 4 or 5" heel is wearable.

43 minutes ago, Puffer said:

To my surprise, there are quite a lot of HH boots of various styles on Amazon, in sizes up to (allegedly) UK12 or UK13 - although I suspect some are not as generous as the size number suggests.   Prices range from £25 or so upwards.   

One pair of rather nice (but not so cheap) OTK boots (up to UK13) is here:   https://www.amazon.co.uk/UMEXI-Zipper-Stilettos-Contrast-Stitching/dp/B0783GFGSJ/ref=sr_1_85?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1515450744&sr=1-85&keywords=boots&refinements=p_n_size_three_browse-vebin%3A1920003031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A1919422031|1919426031&th=1&psc=1

I avoid anything sold on Amazon, as a matter of principle. UK based companies, should pay UK taxes.

Despite that, I used the link to see -what was for me- an unconventional looking pair of boots. The shape was okay, but the pattern meant I had to rest my eyes for a few moments. (Yes, I like any colour, as long as it's black.)

I also looked at some other styles from the same brand, which included a Hot Chick copy - with a declared heel height of 4.75 inches (120mm). Because there was only one review, I looked at a duplicate site/brand. Same shoe, but lots of reviews. Apparently, the shoe received, didn't look much like the picture, and was reported as low quality. Returns were to China.

The reason I recommend UK companies, is because Trading Standards and UK legislation provide protection from fraudulent selling. Returns are a mandatory obligation from the seller. Dealing with third parties (ie Amazon/ASOS MarketPlace/Tesco Direct) for example, aren't necessarily a nightmare, but can be. 

Another company I recommend, a retailer rather than manufacturer, is Banana Shoes. B)

I have checked out Banana Shoes and am checking out various eBay sellers. I am not limiting myself to otk books but am happy to consider stiletto knee and ankle boots, as well. I have my eyes on a pair of classic looking (secondhand, nearly new) knee boots with a 4" stiletto heel. They look quite nice...  

2 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

A stiletto heeled boot with 5" heel that looks classy and fashionable? No probs. UK size 10? :o 

I would respectfully suggest, you try something that fits with a heel, before you splash out £100's on having something made for you. It may be your ankles don't like a heel, or you don't enjoy walking around in one. When you know you want a pair made for you, then I would suggest sourcing them from one of the Leatherworks/LSB team. Someone in Scotland may be producing styles from the original lasts, and selling them under the Leatherworks branding. Historically, a very sturdy shoe, as is the Sexyca brand. But you are right, Sexyca doesn't cater for stay-at-home-mums. 

Pleaser and Ellie might do styles you like, but their boot shafts (as shown recently) may be loose on your legs.   

Indeed, I am not going to splash out hundreds on custom made boots. 

I am willing to spend reasonable money to get something nice. 

Many years of cycling, stretching, a few years of being a dedicated sabre fencer in my younger days has left me with strong and flexible ankles. That is no substitute for experience in wearing stilettos, practice alone will do that, but it ought to give me a solid base from which to start...

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

The Louboutin analysis is thought-provoking.   There are several videos on YouTube of women owning/wearing/analysing the Hot Chick 130mm heels and, although some find them 'difficult', they are clearly by no means impossible to wear, inside or out, even by women with a modestly-sized foot (say UK6).   I admire those who can, and do.

An EU39/UK6 in a Merci Allen, (also 130's) come in at 133mm measured.  Higher with a larger shoe - apparently.

There is a difference in wearing a very high heel, and wearing a very high heel. I read this earlier:

5a5428e22a3d6_LouboutinHotChick-AUS.thumb.jpg.7c0e9d8ab36945d1a49e96b64c896bf9.jpg

"built more for posing than walking. So, slip her on, pose, and let others come to you."

On more than one YT video, there is mention of the Hot Chick Challenge. This is wearing (I can only assume walking) in a Hot Chick for ten minutes. Not stumbled across anyone wearing them for that long in a video so far. 

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

The pics are puzzling; the third (leopard print) pair in particular.   I have seen these online frequently and attempted to identify them; they do (or did) exist in the L range but never with a claimed/admitted heel height of more than 120 or 130mm - yet the pic (if un-doctored) certainly suggests a height in excess of 5.5" (140mm).   Some (female) discussion on the highest L heels was inconclusive; did such high (130mm or more) heels ever truly form part of the L range?   If so, what were (or are) they and how high in reality?

You might like this (equally undoctored) video:

Just now, Shyheels said:

stretching, a few years of being a dedicated sabre fencer

Jealous! :o Very much on my bucket list, fencing with a foil. (Along with wall climbing.) Despite being semi-geriatric, I still have good reflexes. ALWAYS wanted to have a go at fencing. 

Banana shoes are very helpful, and they carry reasonable stock levels, and sometimes have sale items at attractive prices. The "Leatherworks" outfit will make a semi-custom pair of boots for under £200 if I remember. "Semi" meaning material and colour to suit, built onto their last. One day I might order up some long boots made with slim legs. that's a big maybe though. :(

I really think 120 is pretty much a decent outer limit as to what looks graceful and can be gracefully worn. 

Just now, FastFreddy2 said:

Jealous! :o Very much on my bucket list, fencing with a foil. (Along with wall climbing.) Despite being semi-geriatric, I still have good reflexes. ALWAYS wanted to have a go at fencing. 

Banana shoes are very helpful, and they carry reasonable stock levels, and sometimes have sale items at attractive prices. The "Leatherworks" outfit will make a semi-custom pair of boots for under £200 if I remember. "Semi" meaning material and colour to suit, built onto their last. One day I might order up some long boots made with slim legs. that's a big maybe though. :(

I loved sabre and would have kept it up, but I moved and couldn't find a good sabre master where I moved to. I've tried foil (everybody starts with foil) and epee, but sabre was what really did it for me. Loved it. 

Yes, quick reflexes are key...

You ought to invest in the tall boots with fitted shafts. Yes, the upfront cost would be high but wen you think of all the time and effort you have put in looking for, trying on, sending back various boots over the years, you have 'spent' far more than that just in the value of your time. And then you would have a special pair of boots that would mean something to you. It would be well worth the investment in pleasure and satisfaction. You're a long time dead... 

Edited by Shyheels

You might find 120mm (4.75") doesn't look or feel as high as you might expect in your size.

I'm a UK8, and sometimes get into a generous UK7 (just about anything with EU41 written on it). I have no trouble at all in a court shoe that high or ankle boot with a loose ankle. (Some aren't, and are restrictive when walking.) Of course walking in a high heel affects my walking, but only in as much as I have to be careful. No running anywhere, no ball games.... ;) :D

I expect I shall be able to walk 'okay' in 100mm or 120mm given my flexibility and the size of my foot. But walking well - gliding - is another matter. I aspire to walk well in my stilettos... :)

Just now, FastFreddy2 said:

You might find 120mm (4.75") doesn't look or feel as high as you might expect in your size.

I'm a UK8, and sometimes get into a generous UK7 (just about anything with EU41 written on it). I have no trouble at all in a court shoe that high or ankle boot with a loose ankle. (Some aren't, and are restrictive when walking.) Of course walking in a high heel affects my walking, but only in as much as I have to be careful. No running anywhere, no ball games.... ;) :D

No running? No ball games? And here I was planning on wearing my stilettos when I was out practicing my long-jumping....

Just now, Shyheels said:

I loved sabre and would have kept it up, but I moved and couldn't find a good sabre master where I moved to. I've tried foil (everybody starts with foil) and epee, but sabre was what really did it for me. Loved it. 

Yes, quick reflexes are key...

I'm built for speed. I expect the sabre to be a bit heavy for me. Plus I'm more your D'Artagnan (working toward a Porthos), than a Jack Sparrow. ;) :P :D

Just now, Shyheels said:

You ought to invest in the tall boots with fitted shafts. Yes, the upfront cost would be high but wen you think of all the time and effort you have put in looking for, trying on, sending back various boots over the years, you have 'spent' far more than that just in the value of your time. And then you would have a special pair of boots that would mean something to you. It would be well worth the investment in pleasure and satisfaction. You're a long time dead... 

I may well do that when I dispose of the mill-stone around my neck. No, not Mrs F, but the disaster zone that is my home. I'm not afraid of the cost of the investment, but more ensuring I get some use out of that investment. I have over 60 pairs of heels here, already more than I could wear out unless I live to be 120 years old. If I bought some long boots that were to be made for me, I would need time to wear them. About every day for 2 years. :D

Not going to happen for another year I would say. :( 

Speed is just what you need with sabre - or indeed any of the weapons. Sabres themselves are lightweight. In term of that there is little difference between foil and sabre. Epee is a bit heavier, with the much bigger, chunkier guard. But the weight of the weapons themselves is not really a consideration. You'd be fine.

Hopefully the homestead will get sorted out. 

In terms of investing in boots look at it this way - having spent the money you will be focussed on getting the best possible use out of your boots and find all sorts of wonderful perfectly valid reasons to make expeditions out and about in them!

• Like 1

Gosh!   Another lot of detailed exchanges with some interesting discussion - and not much 'sabre-rattling' either!

I am a satisfied Amazon customer - several transactions pre-Christmas with exemplary service - but agree that one must be wary of the 'marketplace' sellers overseas, although on the one occasion when this caused me a problem a few years ago it was properly resolved with A's help.

I agree too that some of the HH footwear sold thru Amazon (or other markets) is of doubtful quality, even if it conforms to the description.   But reports elsewhere suggest not all; caveat emptor.

As I also wear an Eu 45/46, I can speak with a little experience relevant to SH's intentions.   I can wear and walk in a 5" (block/cuban) heel but my slightly bandy legs make them lean out a little too much in anything above 4".    A 5" stiletto would probably not give me quite the same problem as the thin heel would cope with the 'lean' better without twisting the shoe upper - I can't say for sure as I've not tried any that fitted comfortably enough for proper wear.   I can wear a 3.5" thin stiletto boot with ease - and with the definite feeling that it should be an inch or so higher.

The world would be a better place if 4.5 - 5" non-platform heels were more or less universal - I would gladly accept the absence (or prohibition) of anything higher.   But imho a 5 - 5.5" heel can still look graceful and attractive if worn with confidence - although that assumes a woman of reasonable height, build and shoe size.   (My ex-GF was a case in point.)   Frankly, I suspect that SH's perfectly reasonable view that a 120mm/5" stiletto is 'high enough' (on most women) is not really applicable to him, given his greater height and foot size as it will be scaled down.   The equivalent gradient of a 5" heel on (say) Eu39 is about 5.8" for Eu46 - so perhaps a 5.5" heel ought to be his goal, even if not the immediate sensible step.

I don't know quite what to make of the video link from Freddy (thanks!).   (I don't think the look of the shoe is improved by the heel being so set back - and I suspect that it hinders walking too.)   The wearer can clearly walk in the very high heels shown but the very limited perambulation does not really show whether she (?) would be at ease in walking properly over any distance.   There are however other videos where similar heels are worn with some facility outdoors.

Indeed there has been much in the way of interesting discussion going on here! And in a couple of other threads too! And as you say, no sabre rattling! 

I have been looking at a very nice pair of knee boots that is available in either a 100 or a 120 heel - with the heels scaled appropriately for the shoe size, so both of those heights would be higher for me given my shoe size. But that is all good. I want the full experience and perspective and challenge that a stiletto wearing woman would have with either of those heights. No cheating by having longer feet. If I am going to do this it is going to be done properly. 

The 100 would obviously be the more sensible height, but of the 120 has a certain cachet, glamour and elegance, not to mentioned added challenge. We’ll see. In my favour I do have strong flexible ankles and excellent balance. 

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

The world would be a better place if 4.5 - 5" non-platform heels were more or less universal - I would gladly accept the absence (or prohibition) of anything higher.   But imho a 5 - 5.5" heel can still look graceful and attractive if worn with confidence - although that assumes a woman of reasonable height, build and shoe size.   (My ex-GF was a case in point.)   Frankly, I suspect that SH's perfectly reasonable view that a 120mm/5" stiletto is 'high enough' (on most women) is not really applicable to him, given his greater height and foot size as it will be scaled down.   The equivalent gradient of a 5" heel on (say) Eu39 is about 5.8" for Eu46 - so perhaps a 5.5" heel ought to be his goal, even if not the immediate sensible step.

I think 4" - 4½" is more realistic for a UK6, and then for evening wear if so inclined.

Even those I know who wore lower heels for years, had crippled feet by their early 50's.

17 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

The 100 would obviously be the more sensible height, but of the 120 has a certain cachet, glamour and elegance, not to mentioned added challenge. We’ll see. In my favour I do have strong flexible ankles and excellent balance. 

Again I would suggest buying cheap first. I suspect 4" heels for your foot size would not present a challenge (if at all) for long. Conversely, starting at a height that immediately gave you problems (5") might dissuade you from continuing. That said, I would expect a 5" heel to be suitable given your fitness level. B)  

Your advice is good. I do think 4 inches would be pretty easy given my shoe size. Five inches, as you say, would be more challenging. 

I won't be dissuaded from continuing, that's for sure, but too high a level of difficulty at the outset can make mastery almost impossible no matter how persistent one might be if you can never quite get it right. I shall have to think carefully...  

27 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Your advice is good. I do think 4 inches would be pretty easy given my shoe size. Five inches, as you say, would be more challenging. 

I won't be dissuaded from continuing, that's for sure, but too high a level of difficulty at the outset can make mastery almost impossible no matter how persistent one might be if you can never quite get it right. I shall have to think carefully...  

Are you then saying that your inclination is to go for the more-challenging (nominal) 120mm/5" heel, in the knowledge that in your size it would in fact be rather higher than 5"?   Or are you saying that the nominal 4" (probably around 4.5" in your size) is the better introduction?   I have little doubt that you could walk easily enough in 5"+ (as I can manage 5" and have few pretensions of fitness or agility), but I can see the merit of the 'lower entry point'.   Do keep us posted - and details and a pic of whatever you do buy (with you wearing them or not) would be much appreciated.

I think I shall go for the 120s. I'd welcome the challenge and I like the authority of a five-inch stiletto. 

It will be an adventure, thats for sure. 

Just now, Shyheels said:

Boots are on order...

Late Christmas present to self? Or part of a New Years 'keep-fit' regime? :D

I got to my fittest (in recent years) when I was walking 5+ miles a week in a 4" heel. Weather was quite good during that period though ... :rolleyes:

Edited by FastFreddy2