Sign in to follow this  
shyguy

Wearing wifes shoes....kids reaction

Recently we had a day out to go swimming as a family, and I decided to borrow my wifes shoes which look a bit like trainers as they were quick to slip on. I stress they look only very slightly feminine, and are not noticably womens. However our teenage daughters know they are their mums, and it appears that so does our 5 year old. As we got out of the car at the leisure centre, the 5 year old says "Dad why are you wearing mums shoes?"

Both my teenage daughters and their friend looked down, and all 3 laugh hysterically.

My wife says "why not? they don't look like womens shoes do they?"

I just look at them, tut and carry on towards the entrance.

My eldest daughter giggles a bit more, asks me why I'm wearing mums shoes again, I just said that they were comfortable and quick to slip on.

That was the end of the conversation. All went as normal then, no more was said about dad wearing mums shoes.

I'm guessing that would be the reaction of most people to a guy in womens shoes / heels, takes them by surprise and they react, as long as it isn't made into an issue it's soon forgotten. What do you all think?

Yeah, cutting the talk that way is [probably] the best solution possible. It's all about being confident and not behaving as if you were guilty and trying to explain yourself.

...... My eldest daughter giggles a bit more, asks me why I'm wearing mums shoes again, I just said that they were comfortable and quick to slip on.

That was the end of the conversation. All went as normal then, no more was said about dad wearing mums shoes.

I'm guessing that would be the reaction of most people to a guy in womens shoes / heels, takes them by surprise and they react, as long as it isn't made into an issue it's soon forgotten. What do you all think?

I think you are being optimistic. :-D

I agree you did all the right stuff, and successfully averted what could have been a catastrophe. If you are going to get 'made', it doesn't want to be by a close family friend who might broadcast your interest should she ever stop being friends with your daughter? :o

If ever your eldest announces she wants to be a detective though, please don't stop her. She plainly has an aptitude for it. :-D

And just to worry you a bit further ..... When a teenager and sometimes finding myself with access to the inner sanctum that was my parents bedroom, I would go over the room with a fine toothcomb, not searching for anything, just being 'child' gauge nosey. It was how I started wearing heels IIRC. I found some of my mums shoes, and tried them on. Which got me to where I am now ..... :wink:

I think by the time you get 'proper' caught (red-handed caught), your girls will have suspected for some time, and probably, won't be bothered. As long as you're not caught by one of their friends too, because then they might have to excommunicate you publically, to save face....

Safe journey. :cool:

TBH my daughters have seen me wearing some of my wifes sandals on occasions to go out in the garden or whatever, as they were there and easy to slip on. If any comment is made I usually just ignore it, or say "they were there and I needed something on my feet".

I think I'm getting to the point of not really caring about other peoples reactions, only those of my family as they are what's important. The friend of my daughters probably has her own issues to be spending her thoughts on, and wouldn't have dwelled on my choice of footwear too long.

Also my girls have seen some of my heels, and my wife has said they were hers but she no longer wears them or that they were an ebay purchase gone wrong and too cheap to bother re-selling. The turnabout was when she borrowed a pair of my boots for a night out and the girls asked what SHE was doing in heels as she normally only wears flats.

I think I'm getting to the point of not really caring about other peoples reactions, only those of my family as they are what's important. The friend of my daughters probably has her own issues to be spending her thoughts on, and wouldn't have dwelled on my choice of footwear too long.

Also my girls have seen some of my heels, and my wife has said they were hers but she no longer wears them or that they were an ebay purchase gone wrong and too cheap to bother re-selling. The turnabout was when she borrowed a pair of my boots for a night out and the girls asked what SHE was doing in heels as she normally only wears flats.

:D

Recent Ebay purchase by any chance? :cool:

I entirely agree, the only important opinions/feelings, are those of your immediate family.

As before, good luck with the journey. :cool:

No definitely not the recent ebay purchase. Some boots I bought ages ago have a lower heel (about 3") and a bit wider at the tip. My wife tried them, liked them and borrowed them, with my permission, for a night out. It's had an effect as she recently bought some 2" heeled shoes of her own which she wears so it has opened her mind to at least something other than flats. And we're similar size in footwear :D especially when she buys a size bigger due to having a wide instep.

good story!!

peoples reactions is as a result of how open minded they are!!

great that your girls see what they are seeing

what their father has on his feet, does not change who he is!!

and will help them grow up open minded!!

as for not worrying about what people saying!!

agree, feeling more and more like that!!

:grin:

Just as an update, these shoes in the original story are ones I often wear to walk the dog now, and it is a complete non issue. Also as an aside one of my daughters bought some ballet pumps (flats) and they were a little tight, and my wife suggested I wear them to stretch them for her, so she handed them to me and asked me to wear them round the house for a while. No issues for anyone with that. The girls still haven't seen me in heels though apart from the wedges which they haven't noticed yet.

....... Also as an aside one of my daughters bought some ballet pumps (flats) and they were a little tight, and my wife suggested I wear them to stretch them for her, so she handed them to me and asked me to wear them round the house for a while. No issues for anyone with that. The girls still haven't seen me in heels though apart from the wedges which they haven't noticed yet.

You may know this already, but in times gone by, it wasn't unusual for a servant to break-in his Lordships shoes for him. If anyone was going to get sore feet loosening up new leather shoes, it wasn't going to be the guv'nor. [D'you think your daughter is letting you know 'your place'? :)]

On a slightly more realistic note, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out your children "know" of your interest. ;)And aren't at all phased by it.

Good for you. <he said with a slightly envious tone ;-) :lol: >