Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Pee'd Me Off.

Don't get 'miffed' very often but had a short conversation tonight that I found quite irritating.

A relative of a friend of mine runs a pub. One of his staff is not only openly gay, but does like to camp it up a bit. I mention this, because it means none of the regulars are ignorant to his lifestyle.

Apparently, he was at Gay-Pride, dressed up [i believe in a dress] and more importantly, in high heels. If I have it right, he showed some pictures around the bar some days after the event. There were no comments passed to me, that any of the regulars were offended by this.

Seems the fella then asked the boss, if he could wear heels behind the bar. "No" was the answer. I'm not sure this reply is even legal [discriminatory], unless ALL staff are banned from wearing heels at work, which seems unlikely. It would seem he was refused because it wasn't deemed 'appropriate'.

Since no-one gives a monkeys about the gay/dress bit, how can wearing heels be less socially acceptable? :huh:

I used to frequent a computer component retailer not that far from where I used to live. I once watched a fella of truck driver statue, come in wearing make-up and long hair, to buy some parts. I don't remember anyone even taking a second look. (Other than me. ;) )

Around 6 months later, the same person was working behind the counter. Still with make-up, still looking like a tattoo'd lorry driver which they might well have been, in a previous existence. Again, no-one took a second look. No-one cracked a joke [ie made sarcastic remark] and from what I could tell, no-one was much interested. And why should we be?

So I'm upset with this pub-manager. ;):D

If he didn't live so far away, I'd put him on my 'banned' list. :P:D

I beleave the definition of "high heels" has to be explained.

Is he asking for using 6" stiletto sandals or is he asking for wearing boots with 3" block heels?

I can understand that very high stiletto heels may not be the right footwear when working in a pub....

I beleave the definition of "high heels" has to be explained.

Is he asking for using 6" stiletto sandals or is he asking for wearing boots with 3" block heels?

I can understand that very high stiletto heels may not be the right footwear when working in a pub....

I'd be impressed if he was looking to wear 6" Stripper Grade heels for a 12 hour shift in a pub. :D

There is a reasonable argument for not wearing heeled shoes anywhere in the work place due to H+S concerns, and I do know of at least one retail store that has a [global] limit on the heel worn by its employees. I also know (and have mentioned before) it's a rule not rigidly enforced, especially with the Beauty and Cosmetics staff. :-o

In my past (long) working life I've been a union shop steward, a staff rep. I've a couple of management diploma's, and have run a couple of small company's. "No" isn't a word I've been trained to use either side of the discussion table. There's little to differentiate between an apparently safe 2 inch heel, and inappropriate 3 inch heel as construction, fit and design will be more import. In this instance I'm not nor likely to be, privy to detail. :huh:

This isn't so important I'll be losing any sleep over it, but the opportunity for some sexual equality in the work place, has been lost. I would have been a lot happier [and optimistic] if word had it the fella was now wearing a moderately heeled clog or mule when behind the bar. That said, I've seen plenty of dropped bottles and broken glass behind bars, so maybe a moderately heeled boot would have been my targeted compromise. But how far should the H+S ethic go? Reinforced toe capped boots only? They would certainly be the most appropriate choice given the working environment.... But mostly I've seen lightweight sandals in use.

I would wager that no-one would be stopped from wearing flip-flops in this sort of environment. :o Hence my line of thinking going down the discriminatory route. H+S could be the reason for the refusal, but I suspect it isn't. ;) Sadly. And again, I'd always be looking for a compromise. Happy staff work better. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2