Sign in to follow this  
Blacksheep

What Are The Do's And Do Nots When Wearing Heels

I have been wondering, what is the 'correct' etiquate when wearing heels. such as for women, we see different styles to suit different occasions such as daywear versus evening wear.

- should socks or stocking or bare feet be worn and when

- what looks best comparing body weight / build, with heel type

- what other clothing style looks best with what type of heel

- what works best with what season

- what are the definite no no's for men when it comes to wearing heels

just a few questions which if answered I feel will help a lot of men and women who may be still experipmenting with their level of heeling. when answering please discuss your own personal level of heeling such as privacy of own home , in public when out of town, to everyday wear everywhere etc

i have also included a more recent daytime public heeling pic of calf lenght boots with 4" heel appears in gallery, too big for attachments

i look forward to comments

I have been wondering, what is the 'correct' etiquate when wearing heels. such as for women, we see different styles to suit different occasions such as daywear versus evening wear.

Wow, big question. :o

I'd think 30 different opinions, from 30 different people?

Here's my go anyway. ;):D

- should socks or stocking or bare feet be worn and when

My lifetime experience from living in the UK, suggests bare feet are the only fashionable way to wear sandals. That would be with a heel, or without. Mrs Freddy also tends to wear bare feet in boots too, but that's more to do with comfort than fashion.

I have seen sheer hose [so no reinforced toe] worn with some open toe shoes, but this would have been to give a better colour to pale legs or block imperfections in skin tone.

- what looks best comparing body weight / build, with heel type

What doesn't work for me, is kitten heels on shorter, wider people. In fact I'd offer kitten heels only work with slim long legs. Higher heels seem to infer a slimming look on wider people,

- what other clothing style looks best with what type of heel

For men, trousers or jeans flapping around ankles with all of their heeled shoe on show, ought to be an arrestable offence. In fact the only time it works for women, is with collettes. [Very baggy ladies trouser. Often made of something fluid, like linen.]

- what works best with what season

I'm a traditionalist. Sandals in the rain don't work for me.

- what are the definite no no's for men when it comes to wearing heels

Anything sparkly. Stupidly high platforms.

i have also included a more recent daytime public heeling pic of calf lenght boots with 4" heel appears in gallery, too big for attachments

i look forward to comments

Very nice boots, attractive rise.

I would never be brave enough to wear any calf/knee boot, over my trousers or jeans. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Freddy for your input, I was hoping the thread will expand to the 30 either way as there are many opinions but hopefully be enough to assist new heel wearers to to this site which will help them for. The confidence which is so needed. Thanks for the kind comment on my newly uploaded pic

I was hoping the thread will expand to the 30 either way

I'd like to see 30 contributors, full-stop. ;):D

HHp takes a lot of interest, that might be more appropriate here. [Men in heels, and ONLY interested in wearing heels, not skirts and other feminine attire.] Traffic counts, so no surprise the draw is to a busier place? Plus there are a much larger number of female contributors there, and if there's one thing that's going to attract men interested in high heels, it's going to be a site where woman talk about/show their interest in heels. (Bees and honey-pot syndrome? ;) )

Recently, H4M has been busier, but can the momentum be kept up?

Many new (and older) members visit without contributing. Not sure why that is? If you have an interest in heels, you MUST have or see experiences of heels, on an almost daily basis. Not many reports about this though? I guess members believe their experiences would be of no interest? Can't see that myself, as I find entertainment in the most (seemingly) mundane encounter?

• Like 1

I wish I could provide concrete answers, or opinions to your questions...There are so many variables, especially the build and swagger of the man wearing the heels...

Anyway, I would agree that bare feet or hose/tights are best for heels, no socks..

Some guys, especially tall men, with long legs and a swimmer's build, can pull off most looks effortlessly....Then, there is the rest of us guys, who don't quite fit into that category. So, all I can say here is that what might work fine for one man, can not look so good on another...Wish I could be more concrete, but there are hundreds of variables that affect the look...

To me, most guys look better in jeans with heels, but that is just my opinion...In any event, the jeans must fit correctly, and be the proper length, or they can really detract for his appearance in heels..Like FF has said, very loose jeans that are too short are usually a no no...

Seasons, hmmm. Oh well, I'm sure there are seasonable looks, I just wear my boots and jeans the same way all year...

As for "no nos", again the variables are so many that it is hard to even generalize...Again, usually only slender tall guys can pull off extremely feminine looks successfully. So, the rest of us kind of need to be able to blend our heels with more masculine attire.

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea what goes with what and when.

So sorry but I can't help ye there.

You know, it could just be as easy as saying what you like? :huh:

Or writing in a few words, about something you've seen that you particularly enjoyed seeing. B)

For classic courts and sandals, hose or barefoot as has already been said.

Obviously jeans and boots, jeans over boots is my recommendation. Never for men shorts with any heels.

I think for some, smart trousers and a classic court shoe would look great, but as with women, men have to co ordinate the whole outfit to the occasion.

I feel even women get it wrong sometimes. There is nothing worth some a scruffy individual either male or female wearing stilettos. It just doesn't look right.

A trim figure looks best with heels both male and female

Colour co ordination may be a problem for men in so much as 1 in 7 men are colorblind, so safe colours for any combination needs to be considered

I feel that most of us have feelings going back to child hood bullying, so many of the reports in these threads tend to make comments surprised that they did not receive any adverse comment. When younger, such comments from peers would be adverse or critical. Confidence build from within. Sorry I digress

I feel even women get it wrong sometimes. There is nothing worth some a scruffy individual either male or female wearing stilettos. It just doesn't look right.

A trim figure looks best with heels both male and female

Colour co ordination may be a problem for men in so much as 1 in 7 men are colorblind, so safe colours for any combination needs to be considered

Other than the high ratio of colour blindness in men which I din't know, I agree all you comments. B)

I feel that most of us have feelings going back to child hood bullying, so many of the reports in these threads tend to make comments surprised that they did not receive any adverse comment. When younger, such comments from peers would be adverse or critical. Confidence build from within. Sorry I digress

If I'm reading this right, you are suggesting childhood bullying, creates an expectation we will be criticised for anything [unusual] we do?

While I see how that conclusion could be reached, I have doubts it's pertinent here? I vaguely remember not always having the best of times when young, but I worry more about people laughing, than them being critical. That said, people staring can seem pretty rude. :rolleyes: But other people being rude isn't my problem. While I get my feathers ruffled by it, I'm not losing any sleep over it either.

Now, people finding amusement in my dress sense, [twice this year] does hurt. But again, I'll live through it. B)

• Like 1

I imagine that whatever might be "correct" right now is determined by the whims of the fashion designers. Soooooo............ hose/no hose/socks/bare/etc. ........just watch current fashion trends.