Sign in to follow this  
char747

Driving

Who drives in heels? I've done it a little before but I'm thinking about keeping heels in the car for driving..

However I ask, what is your technique? How do you position your foot? I've asked a girl friend of mine and she says she basically rests her foot in a way where the length of the back of the heel of the shoe is laying flat on the floor of the car and she operates that way.

I have a lot of shoes with a covered heel and it's a shame to scuff, scratch, or stain the heel in such a way (satin, suade, patent), but any other way I've tried results in a seriously tired leg as I'm trying to use the bottom of the toe on the pedal and keep the point of the heel on the floor.

So how do all of you do it without damaging your beauties or killing your leg? I'm in a mid size car so I have limited space/ adjustment options.

I prefer to drive with 5" heels...not the stiletto type.

4" heels also work fine.

I dont have any special technic, and I drive stick shift....

The minor scratches on the heels, I polish.

• Like 1

I have driven with heels, but I find it really uncomfortable with any sort of high heel. To be honest as I dont always drive with heels I find it a little dangerous because it is unusual and I don't want to make a driving mistake.

That and the fact it is the entire back of the shoe that gets scuffed. So I basically avoid driving in heels.

There was a long 'debate' about this from a member learning to drive (apparently) in heels. A crash he had while wearing them whilst driving, could have permanently ended his driving career. He's no longer a member, so we won't be hearing from him about his progress .....

I have and do drive in heels. I avoid the scuffing problem, by keeping a clean towel in the car that I place under the control pedals only when I drive in heels. As the only time the towel is there, is when I'm in heels, it doesn't have time or opportunity to accumulate grit or mud. B) No scuffing found to date. [in 4½ years, but on my 3rd towel.]

My car is a 5 speed manual, and I tend to use the gears - a lot. Driving around town can mean a gear change every 20 yards.

So far, not experienced any problems, or found any real need to change how I use the pedals. In fact I've had more problems wearing trainers, than heels. I do remember a media article a year or so ago, 'reporting' the wearing of heels was "proven" to affect driver response times. Possibly by about 2 yards at 70mph, which in some circumstances could mean the difference between stopping in time, and not stopping in time. :o

Not experienced this myself ..... :)

I have to agree with Love 4 Heels. I drive in a 4" stiletto on a left-foot accelerator with no problems. My car has an automatic transmisssion which allows me to drive with one foot.

E

I'm liking the soft towel idea. That seems to make the most sense for me so far. :)

Edited by char747

I once drove a van in heels, and because of the heightened driving position it meant the heel could stay on the floor and still use the pedals. Was an interesting experience, but didn't leave me with the feeling I needed to do it more often really.

I once drove a van in heels, and because of the heightened driving position it meant the heel could stay on the floor and still use the pedals. Was an interesting experience, but didn't leave me with the feeling I needed to do it more often really.

Me neither.

I'll usually wear heels while driving if I have no other shoes with me, or I feel the need to get my ankle used to an unfamiliar angle before walking in a heel.

If sat behind the wheel of a car is the best/only opportunity for wearing a heel though, I'd fully understand anyone using that option. B)

I do remember a media article a year or so ago, 'reporting' the wearing of heels was "proven" to affect driver response times. Possibly by about 2 yards at 70mph, which in some circumstances could mean the difference between stopping in time, and not stopping in time. :o

Not experienced this myself ..... :)

While looking for something else, I found >> this << You've been warned. ;):huh:

Mythbusters did test this.

Jamie and Adam were wearing high heels in different types and shapes...and the conclusion was that there where no change compare to flats.

So that leads me to the conclusion...its becouse its a female driver, not the footwear.. :)

Mythbusters did test this.

Jamie and Adam were wearing high heels in different types and shapes...and the conclusion was that there where no change compare to flats.

So that leads me to the conclusion...its becouse its a female driver, not the footwear.. :)

Ouch! :D

I've seen that as well and yep, unfortunately comes down to the female drivers. I actually drove the other day in heels and got a few pics I'll try to remember to post tonight. :) lot of fun and went well. Got a lot of practice with how to place my foot. :P

Driving in heels a lot I am mostly with heels of about 3 1/2 inch.

Is no problem and I am comfortable with it.

Edited by FreshinHeels

Driving in my red satin 4" stiletto heels. :) it was a LONG stop light. :P Didn't give me nearly as much trouble as I thought it would. Though I will need to put a soft cloth in if I'll be doing more diving with (my better) heels. The floor was relatively free of debris so the heels didn't get torn up or scuffed at all.

post-1400-0-56885000-1343872399_thumb.jp

post-1400-0-14522600-1343872604_thumb.jp

Them's very 'pretty' (girly) heels. ;)

You really should take a sideways picture showing off the whole shoe (with your foot inside if possible) and add the picture to the "Girly" shoe thread? B)

After driving back from London last week, I had to 'shuffle' the cars on the drive. We'd been out in Mrs Freddy's car, and I had an early start next day in mine. The towel was in Mrs Freddy's car as I had driven. [she won't drive in London.]

I get out of her car thinking that moving my car 20 feet, then back on the drive doesn't need a towel. Wrong! :( Not sure how I managed it, but I now have what looks like a puncture hole in the back of the heel. I clean my heeled footwear every time I wear it, so I know they'll be clean when I next grab them to wear. Day after the Friday venture and car shuffle, I discover the hole. It's not a biggy as the boots are on borrowed time anyway. But it was surprising how easily/quickly the hole occurred. :rolleyes:

Obviously, I'm never going to clean the footwell, as often as I clean my heels. ;):D

Judging by the scuffing marks I've seen on the back of heeled shoes worn by women drivers, most of the damage seems to occur on the back of the shoe, rather than on the heel (that is under the shoe) if you understand how I've explained it? [badly. :rolleyes: ]

If I understand how the damage is usually achieved, the back of the shoe, (heel of the foot) is rested on the floor. The damage on my boot is possibly from me momentarily letting my boot rest on a sharp stone between pedal pushes. Though thinking about it, the hole looked round? Maybe I'll put a picture up here if I can.....

Damage to heels on thin heeled shoes is a continuing problem. I've myself lost one pair (circa 4 years ago) due to a hole in a pavement completely stripping of the finish covering on a heel. I've reported here, damage to a couple of pairs that wasn't terminal, fortunately....

If heels were parallel, tubed shaped covering might well work, but the thicker tops act like a wedge trying to push the tubing off. Might work on the lower portion though ..... Might have to look at that idea ..... ;)

I get out of her car thinking that moving my car 20 feet, then back on the drive doesn't need a towel. Wrong! :( Not sure how I managed it, but I now have what looks like a puncture hole in the back of the heel. I clean my heeled footwear every time I wear it, so I know they'll be clean when I next grab them to wear. Day after the Friday venture and car shuffle, I discover the hole. It's not a biggy as the boots are on borrowed time anyway. But it was surprising how easily/quickly the hole occurred. :rolleyes:

Obviously, I'm never going to clean the footwell, as often as I clean my heels. ;):D

The damage on my boot is possibly from me momentarily letting my boot rest on a sharp stone between pedal pushes. Though thinking about it, the hole looked round? Maybe I'll put a picture up here if I can.....

How did this happen? :huh:

post-40-0-67251400-1344084317_thumb.jpg

Some other scuffing is evident lower on the heel, probably from a kerb or (sitting on) a stool.

Edited by FastFreddy2