Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Computers, Keyboards, Touchpads....

Bit of a rant really....... :angry:

Not for the first time, I spent an hour tonight writing up about my footwear collection, with numerous links and included some frightening numbers .....

I'd spent the hour composing/editing, and was quite close to concluding. Unknown to myself [the laptop I use has no indicator], the Num Lock key had been switched off. Expecting the number 7 key on the keypad to produce a number seven, I was somewhat surprised when a keystroke [ALT] + [Home] shut the window I was using without an option to Save or Cancel. An hours effort down the loo .....

Believing I'd fallen foul of the "I'll do what I want" touchpad, I finally turned it off. I think they have limited use, and I waaaaay prefer a regular mouse anyway.

Writing another post, tried the same keystroke I'd used earlier, again unaware the Num Lock was off. More effort lost. :angry:

A short Google search, and a couple of minutes using RegEdit has hopefully cured the problem.

I might have to change my posting methodology. I loathe to see the 'Edited' remark at the bottom of my posts, but it's starting to look like I'll have to begin using this to save my prose as I write, to help avoid these accidental losses. :unsure:

Rant over..... :D

I know what you mean Freddy,

I use either my iPad or mostly iPhone to post stuff on here, which means that occasionally just as you go to send, you lose network and everything that you have spent ages typing, trying to type a long item on the iPhone is a real pain due to the size of the keyboard.

The other down side is that there are no emoticons via iPhone/pad other than emoji which means the reeader has to have apple equipment.

The joys of posting eh.....

I had quite a lot of this with the previous laptop now dead some time. I eventually got around to turning off the touchpad, and used a corded mouse. We have broken a number of mice dropping them when the cord snagged on something. :rolleyes:

It did get to a stage earlier this year where I was doing all the prose in Word, and added emoticons and links later when I copied it across. This is a bit of an unpleasant way to do it though .....

New laptop, and things seemed to work well until yesterday. :( The greatest contributor to that success being the £5 [Tesco] wireless optical mouse. No more wires to snag, and works better than our last optical one too. B)

The new problem was the Num Lock key, and me using [ALT]+1+7+1 to get the "½" character, whilst the Num Lock was off. I had been describing my shoes and their the heel height, but attempting to add the half symbol completely closed the internet session. And lost all I'd written, including links, pictures. Everything.....

Calmer today. :D And the change to the startup default appears to be working. ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2