Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Selling Shoes And Boots

P.S.

Had contact from another weird buyer......

I have something on sale at a greatly reduced price with a saving of about £100. Fella contacted me mad keen to buy...... Wanted me to change the listing so he could do a Buy-It-Now at an agreed price. We both had to go out for the afternoon, so the deal was going to be done around 8pm. I got back a little later than him and contacted him at 9pm with me ready to make the change he had requested.

His reply .... "Sorry, bought something else earlier."

As it turns out, he did me a favour, as I got more money for it in the end. B)

But I've not sold anything else ..... Probably I'm not selling the right items, though I would have thought jeans sell all year around. Pricing couldn't be any keener, I'm almost at Charity Shop (Thrift Shop?) pricing levels.

Couple of days ago I saw some Readers Comments about an on-line newspaper report. The report itself was on the impending/starting Summer Sale, where here in the UK, all the slow selling spring/summer clothing get moved out a little quicker by discounting in a "mid-season" sale. Apparently, an annual event, that many shoppers expect to arrive about now. One of the better known, better liked (amongst middle class shoppers) is the Selfridges sale. B) It's a store I like, but seldom - if ever - can afford to shop there. I've possibly tried on shoes with a view to buy later (in sale) but been thwarted by low stock levels. Mrs Freddy has bought some bits from the store, but again these would have been sale items.

The bulk of the Summer Sale stores are going to be the usual High Street stores that I mention from time to time; Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis. The more popular girls clothing stores would include New Look, River Island, TopShop and Dorothy Perkins. All of these stores will be places us 'men in heels' will frequent to buy ourselves shoes. Some, if not all. ;)

Thing is, and the point of the Readers comments, will we be offered goods we want to buy? One rather caustic remark I remember, mentioned they would not be buying no matter how much the price was reduced. Typically summer clothing going on sale, with this the 3rd year running we haven't seen one. The comment closing on; "why am I going to buy clothes I can't wear?" In a similar vein, another said they had tried to buy a light-weight (occasional) raincoat, with no luck at all. The prospective buyer wasn't looking for a sale bargain, they were looking for a product.

There was also a suggestion the prices might have been artificially hiked up to start with, and the sale price is actually the price the retailer was expecting to sell at when they bought their stock. Bit cynical? Maybe, but I've got a lot of time for that notion. With most shoes being made in China now, and available to just about everyone for £25/£30 retail, some brands are getting pretty greedy selling Chinese made shoes for over £200! This situation doesn't help buyers, buy-with-confidence, when offered a discounted bargain. In that respect, when is a bargain, "a bargain"? In fact now, it's gotten to the stage now, where the Freddies don't buy unless it's at a sale price. Sometimes we might lose out, but that's nearly always with shoes for me, and I really don't need any more!

Anyone else got any experience or thoughts about this? :huh:

Edited by FastFreddy2

I have often thought prices could be extra high to start of with and even ehen in a sale the store would be making a profit.

Some of the under cover programs on the tv say how much the item costs to make (low cost of materials and low wages). The company making them make a profit. Then there is a chain of buying and selling before the end customer that each add a little/ a lot to the buying price.

Bit of a saga, but definitely a Truth Stranger Than Fiction Story ..... ;):D

2. They were sold by the girl who had bought hers from me. [Who argued the makers didn't size them correctly.] And who then used MY photo's to sell them! :o

Having been 'caught' by someone using my images once, the next one I spent any time working on a photo I used on a listing, I actually put a © symbol across the matrix of images. Not only that, I identified myself as the copyright owner.

Thought no more about it, since you'd have to be a bit of an idiot to re-use (for commercial gain) a copyrighted image. It's pretty much why I usually include the original source when showing a photo I didn't take when I post it here. [Original source of publication.] The images I include here, fall outside the copyright infringement problem (AFAIK) as they are posted for artistic review and consideration. I NEVER claim ownership and usually do what I can to make sure the owner is recognised. I've even moved the owners name to one side of the picture and edited in the missing detail, where a shoe was originally hidden by the photographers name.

So imagine my shock (annoyance) when I find someone has not only used my image without my consent, they copied my WHOLE listing!! :angry: Twice. :angry:

They managed to sell one item, but the other listing was still live when I found it. Even worse, although not a registered business seller, the volume of kit they are selling suggests they are. :o

This breaks the auction site Policy, in a number of places. They don't like theft of intellectual property, nor do they allow listings to be copied without the original authors consent. Although I had asked the member to remove the photo's, (which didn't happen quickly), I also reported the infringement, expecting not much to happen for a couple of days ......

2 hours later, both the errant listings have been 'pulled' and any bids on the outstanding listing have been removed. I also got a polite message from the auction site management telling me they take this sort of infringement very seriously. :huh:

I'm surprised and happy about that. I put a lot of work into my photo's and listings. And I've already quite likely lost a sale due to someone stealing my pictures..... :rolleyes:

Edited by FastFreddy2

Having been 'caught' by someone using my images once, the next one I spent any time working on a photo I used on a listing, I actually put a © symbol across the matrix of images. Not only that, I identified myself as the copyright owner.

Thought no more about it, since you'd have to be a bit of an idiot to re-use (for commercial gain) a copyrighted image.

2 hours later, both the errant listings have been 'pulled' and any bids on the outstanding listing have been removed. I also got a polite message from the auction site management telling me they take this sort of infringement very seriously. :huh:

I'm surprised and happy about that. I put a lot of work into my photo's and listings. And I've already quite likely lost a sale due to someone stealing my pictures..... :rolleyes:

The seller also apologised to me for the breach, claiming innocence. Then went on to ask for permission to use my text for his subsequent listing, which I refused to give since I wanted to re-run my whole advert.....

The seller went on to re-use it anyway? :blink::angry: I had to report them again, and another two listings were removed, though this time it took a couple of days. :unsure:

I suppose most folk wouldn't bother. But they seem too lazy to put 20 words into an advert, and I did spend some time putting my 30 words together, so why 'donate them' to what is obviously a commercial business?

With the frustration of my advert being repeatedly hijacked, and the lack of bidders on other listings, I didn't try to move anything on this weekend gone. :(

Mrs Freddy, who works in the back room of one of the larger store groups, has reported the start of their summer sale (mentioned previously) has not had its usual impact on sales takings. A slight increase in store and on-line, but not the jaw-dropping escalation seen in previous sales. Sounds like UK PLC is digging in..... :(

The seller went on to re-use it anyway? :blink::angry: I had to report them again, and another two listings were removed, though this time it took a couple of days. :unsure:

And the seller has done it again!

Just how hard is it to put your own 20 word advert together? :wacko:

Well, 5 times in all the other seller used my ad and subsequently had 3 of them cut by The Management. Think someone may have got the message (finally) as the listings for that particular product from them have stopped altogether. B)

Not sure there's any point, but put up a couple of things for sale this weekend. One of which is shoe related. If it goes, I'll be happy. If not, I have an escape route anyway.

I haven't bought any shoes myself -expecting to keep them- for some time. Sorta getting withdrawal symptoms. :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

The commercial seller finally did his own advert, and own pictures, or at least it looks that way. Maybe they just copied someone elses listing? "Truth will out" though. They've now got 6 red cards on 60 sales. I thought that would get their account suspended, but people keep buying.

On my own account, of four things listed - none sold. Finally, a 'golden duck' sales week. Odd, because the shoes I had listed got 4 watchers and 60 views. That sort of interest normally results in a sale?

Similarly, another item got 13 watchers, 157 views, and two 'message' enquiries. But still no sale? That was a shock. Especially since the item was new, but listed at a 'used' price point. Everything but the shoes went back on sale. Not sure sure what to do about those at the moment. :huh:

Edited by FastFreddy2

The commercial seller finally did his own advert, and own pictures, or at least it looks that way. Maybe they just copied someone elses listing? "Truth will out" though. They've now got 6 red cards on 60 sales. I thought that would get their account suspended, but people keep buying.

It now looks like 120 "Sales" have arrived with 106 happy customers, 1 Neutral, and now 13 Negatives. Although they still have some listings, I don't understand how? Their 'positive feedback' rating is just under 88%. Very poor.

I've not bothered to list anything when given an opportunity the last two times, but listed a couple of bits today (Thursday). I will be pleasantly surprised if anything sells. School holidays and (soon to be) return to school with the cost of uniforms, study books and stationery, all keeping wallets thin. :( Oh well ....... :D

Finally sold something, but not shoes.

An chip programmer I haven't used for 15 years..... Last one listed was offered at £49 and didn't look like it sold. [You can never be sure, as I think some sales occur after the listings close.] I got £30 less fees, for mine. Hopefully the buyer will be happy with it. It could be worth more, the listing had a week to run, but I'll be glad to see the back of it either way. :)

Having had at least two winning bidders (and it may well be 3) with no payment to follow, I now only count sales where I see sight of the money.

So I can say with confidence, I've finally sold a pair of shoes!

Someone who was interested in the sold pair, but who didn't bid, might be interested in some I haven't yet listed. Possibly, folk are looking to spend again? ;)

Two pairs of jeans gone too. so now down to something like "loads still" pairs. :D

And as long as I don't put on any weight (and preferably lose some), all the jeans I have left, fit me. Though I'm still finding jeans I've acquired (almost always from M+S) in bags left in 'temporary' places. Must consolidate them, again.... ;) And maybe count them too. :huh: I'm still struggling to find a dark blue denim jean, with bootcut leg and higher waist. Easy in black, much harder for my 'signature' dark blue. :rolleyes:

Might have to start advertising some more of the ankle boots I won't live long enough to wear ..... As attractive as I think they are.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Of around 5 items listed this time around, 3 bits sold, though not the new shoes I have listed previously.  :(

But 3 bulky mountain bike related objects are going, provided funds arrive. One of them is a wheel I've kept for around 12 or 13 years just because I liked the look of it. It made £11, which is a bit disappointing. If the buyer doesn't pay, I won't be unhappy. I have no use for the wheel, but it would make an attractive addition to a wall somewhere in the house (in my opinion).

I've about 4 bike frames to get rid of too. One a fairly expensive (though I can't remember how expensive) light weight hard-tail frame. Another object so pretty, I've often considered wall mounting it too. While I have in mind to have a shoe-room one day, I doubt I'll get a bike room too. ;)   :D

Winter is approaching. Time to get the balance of my 'to sell' shoes and boots out. :)   

Edited by FastFreddy2

It's mandatory. I'm just waiting for someone a little inquisitive, to work out why there are two sizes of womens shoes in the room.....  :D

That won't take long. My nephew (aged 3 at the time) came into my room and I had left a pair of my shoes out as I had been wearing them and was going to wear them again later.

He asked whos shoes they were and I said "they were mine" He then said "they are like ladies shoes".

He asked whos shoes they were and I said "they were mine" He then said "they are like ladies shoes".

"Out of the mouth of babes ...... "  ;)   :)  Bless him!

I've a 10 and 35 year old to concern myself with. I don't mind either of them knowing ...... Mrs Freddy though ......  :unsure:

I sell on Ebay from  time to time.  Always start my listing for £1.  My thinking  is that I bought the heels on Ebay in the first place. I'm get around the same price I paid for them in the first place.All been sold and never had any problems with my buyers as such.  Some lucky woman got a free pair of new boots. She did pay but the Paypal payment went to the wrong email address and thinking I had been paid sent the boots off. I now check every listing  twice to make sure the payment will go to the  right Email address and sometimes I do have to change it back to the right one. I did have one buyer make an offer of  £3 on a pair of cheap black court shoes with damaged heels. I told him no. He was out of order anyway asking. He won the shoes in the end paying around £15 + p&p. I did have to show more photos of the damaged heels before he bid on them.

As for me buying heels from Ebay. Most I find now I don't have any problems with and most fit. I think I had 2 or maybe 3 that were to small. Sold straight back on to Ebay again. I did have some bad buys. First pair squeked as I walked. Been told could be a Loose heel shaft. The heels looked cheep anyway. Got a full refund from the seller after sending back. Another pair the strap come apart after trying on the first time.  Sent back but didn't get my return postage paid.

I'm not sure if this is a good time, or bad time to be selling heels on an auction site? I haven't managed to sell shoes for a little while, and I'm loathe to start an auction for some at 99p which would be price that would give me a free listing.

I know I have a few pairs to release from 'the collection', so I ought to make time to do another of my "What do I own" audits. I should (but won't) do a picture of every single pair on the premises, hers and mine, and do a montage of them.... :huh:  

When I do sell on Ebay  I sell just before xmas but I this time decided to sell just one pair in the new year. Bought them of Ebay in the first place and wanted to sell them as I just could not walk in them. Paid £19 + P&P for them. I got £17.50 for them and I made about £3 on the postage as well.

Ebay has been doing free listings during xmas holiday where you could list at any price. I took advantage of this and sold some magazines and posters at a good price.  I had 5 lots of magazines that I listed for between £15 and £25 depending on the condition of the magazines. It was the 3 cheaper lots that sold.  I made over £100 in the end. I knew that if I put the magazines at 99p start they would  sale at that price. Only got about 12 views on each lot. It does seem the most buyers haven't got much spare money at the moment.

My Hermes are a good courier but you do need to be able to print off an address slip and can take between 2 to 5 days to deliver. 

Edited by Heels

Sold a pair of size 8 mules  from Faith about a week ago on Ebay.  Bought them, just before xmas.but were to small for me.  Listed at £16 got £18 for them. Which is more then I paid for in the first place.

Sold a pair of size 8 mules  from Faith about a week ago on Ebay.  Bought them, just before xmas.but were to small for me.  Listed at £16 got £18 for them. Which is more then I paid for in the first place.

Add the original delivery costs of the mules to the buy price (if you haven't already).

Take 20p + 3.94% off your bid price if you were paid via P/P. Take 10% off your bid price and carriage charge paid (to you) for the auction house fees. (No listing fees if you started at 99p of course.). Take away what you ACTUALLY paid for carriage, and the cost of packing. Assume your time is worthless, and there was no time or cost involved in getting the package to your courier. 

Still in front?  :huh:

The £18 you got was very likely a good price, but I'd be surprised if you still actually 'made' money after the auction house took their fees.  :(

I did buy these from with 2 other pairs from the same seller. All arrived in the same parcel. . I expect I did make a little loss but not as much as I was expecting.

As I said before, you very likely got a good price, so you're obviously doing the right thing.  B)

I've made some serious blunders in the past, and have yet to 'reap-the-benefit' of buying too many pairs, or unsuitable pairs.  :rolleyes:  I imagine I have perhaps 10-15 pairs I will be losing a LOT of money with.  :( I'll learn though, one day:D

Finally gotten around to getting listed some of the shoe and jean excess listed on an auction site. Was mind-numbingly tedious work. I put too much detail in I'm sure, but it's hard to know where to stop.

Have sold some shoes already at fairly low prices. For example, got £15 (less fees) for some shoes I know I paid £40 for. I still liked them, they still fitted.... But I have shoes as high that are more suitable. They've been here 4 or 5 years - unworn .... They had to go.

Same with the jeans. I will lose less on each pair because I've not yet paid £40 for a pair. (Maximum stands at £28 currently). I do expect  to lose 50% of their cost though. Most of those being sold, are a tad too short for the higher heels I tend to wear these days. I haven't yet have had to give anything away, (though £25 losses feel like it), and it's not like I don't need the space ....  :huh:

Edited by FastFreddy2

Finally gotten around to getting some of the shoe and jean excess, listed on an auction site. ...

Oh dear, Freddy!   Transatlantic English ['gotten'] issuing from just north of London, tautology and a superfluous comma ...   :o

See me in my study after prayers.   I suggest you have your Latin primer inside your trousers ('pants' if you insist) to reduce the impact of my cane.  learn.gif