Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Selling Shoes And Boots

Your friend with the boot collection sounds a bit weird, if I understand your appraisal correctly.   Not so much because he liked to collect boots, but because he had acquired several pairs too small for him and apparently sold them for that reason.   If he was a collector, why not keep them?   If he was a wearer, why get so many that didn't fit?   I don't expect you to know the answer; maybe he didn't either!

Yes, those thigh boots look too wide; I don't really like baggy boots of any type, especially when shiny and showing the creases so much.

The Office shoes are not nearly as nice in side view as they appeared to be from the earlier rear shot.   That heel has no flare and is set too far back - and there seems to be a platform too.   Sorry, not a classic stiletto court by any means - is that a style you like?   The Lois court on the other hand is close to perfection; I wonder why they are no longer available? 

The chap I met had sourced many style from many places. I don't think he kept buying from a single manufacturer, but imported from all over. I know for sure (because he advised me about them before I purchased too) that he bought from at least one manufacturer/retailer in Italy. As we know, even a single manufacturer doesn't have consistent sizing across all their style range. I have 3 different sizes from ALDO, and at least two from ASOS. 

He might have been tempted to return some, but as I indicated, I don't think he would have thought it worth it. (Too much trouble). Mrs Freddy has a similar problem, a reluctance sometimes to return an item even if the item doesn't quite fit. And as I said, selling them on wasn't an option either. There might have been personal issues that acted as a barrier. Perhaps he had an established auction site account that didn't separate him from his normal life? I do know his wife knew, but wasn't happy about it. (Not any longer, anyway.) Cost wasn't an issue. He 'gifted' me the boots. I would say circa £200-£400 worth.

The boots I showed earlier were at least 50% wider than my skinny legs. My calf measures about 13 inches in diameter. Most boots come with a 19/20 inch calf I think. And for men they need to be. I have some Jessica Simpson boots here that I think are great. They are a mid-calf boot, with a split opening that allows a larger calf to wear them. A chap I met around two years ago who bought some shoes from me, also tried the Jessica's. He couldn't get his calf into the boot. Those patent boots would probably look good on most mens legs, and a chunkier ladies leg. Just not my skinnies.

I bought the Office shoes because they were plain leather, and high. I don't generally do platforms, but I have some from Forever 21 and they are difficult to walk in, so I like them. The Office shoes had/have a taller/slimmer heel. Nicer shape to the toe, and were/are leather not PU. I was interested to see if they fit better than the ALDO ones I had already tried (and sold on) or were a better fit. I was happy to spend the £3-90 return carriage to find out, so I did.

As I reported, the fit was not only improved (the ALDO 8's felt like a 6½) but fitted really well with no apparent vices (pinching) anywhere. I had almost decided they were keepers. BUT, while walking around on carpet, I twice had a 'little moment' where I thought my ankle would fold. At first I thought it might be a loose heel, but it wasn't. I then checked for straightness, only to find the heel wasn't vertical. They went back.

You are right about the Lois. A proper 5" heel. Short arch, which made walking in them pretty difficult, and a good half a size (to whole size) too small. Meaning, the 8's felt like a 7. For my feet that isn't much of a problem, because they tend to 'mould' into the shoe after about 20 minutes. If I remember. the blue pair were perfect as far as I could see, I can't remember if the black ones also had the inclined heel, although I had returned a red pair with a wonky heel before I found the good pair. I don't remember seeing any fault with the second red ones, nor the grey ones, so I was concerned the fault had developed during storage? Not that I had done anything untoward, but possibly there were unstable chemicals in the shoe. Certainly something had gone on with the red ones, as one shoe had 'grown' a dark mark down the side of the seam on one of the heels. I offered the grey and the red pairs with the faults declared, and the both sold. I did not want to risk further loses with the black nor the blue pair, so they went too.

There is a short book I'm planning to write about acquiring a size 8 black leather court shoe. Of course it won't be a book, but a really really long post on how frustrating it is to find that simple thing with a good heel. I have found it practically impossible. I've kind of managed it, but I'm not overly happy about the search results so far.....

I have two pairs. A very expensive pair (sticker price £240) from Kurt Geiger. Another pair from Office. (Sticker price £65.) I would wear the Office courts out, but not anywhere near a UK pavement. The Kurt Geigers, will never be worn away from my carpet. I can't walk in them, and they rub one toe - though that isn't the stopper. If ever I will own a pair of shoes that get placed in a glass cabinet, these are them. B)  I'm pretty sure I've posted picture elsewhere. If I can dig them up, I'll include them here somewhere.  ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Had a bit of a "review" session today.

I had ordered two pairs of ankle boots from HoF, which I've had here for a little over a week. One pair looked so awful in the flesh, I didn't even remove the packing once I'd opened the lid of the box they arrived in, they were always going back. The second pair were from Carvela and the style is called "Get". 

post-40-0-80311600-1434063267_thumb.jpeg Originally £160.

These have an almost 5" heel, and a pointed toe. They feel like a 7, as they are very very snug, but I like my shoes tight. The heel on the right shoe is a little off vertical, but not so much I can tell when walking in them. I don't need them, and they are still expensive even in the sale..... How could I justify keeping them?

The answer was to look for other shoes to sell on. 

2 pairs I decided not to keep went straight to Mr Recycle. Damaged in use (pair of Select courts), and some PU ankle boots with blade heels that needed re-heeling. I have the new heel tips, but not a Dremel to make the new over-size tips fit. Been waiting 3-4 years for me to repair them, so their time was (finally) up.

Got another 4 pairs that I'm going to offer here for free first, though they are likely too small for most members being around a 7 or an 8. Pictures tomorrow.

Got about another 10 pairs to go to the auction site. 

I also have about 4 pairs of summer shoes to move on, as it's obvious to me I won't be wearing them after all. Two pair of heel-less courts, and two pairs of wedge sandals.

I am growing/have grown a core group of about 4 or 5 styles that seem to allow me to do everything in heels. If I'm honest, the rest are surplus, though some of the surplus are just nice to own regardless to whether they ever get worn by me. ;) 

Rather disappointingly, the M+S "Mars bar" ankle boots shown further up, have developed a fault. Seems that some of the lamination on the heel has come unstuck. Took them to the repairers today, and while he said he could fix them, he also said it'll happen again.  :(  Didn't have time to ask more, as two young girls came in behind me, so a long chat wasn't possible. Maybe more news tomorrow.

The M+S boots have been repaired, but the quality of the work done, has left a lot to be desired. Although I wasn't charged, should the lamination break away again, I won't be going back to my usual cobbler. At the time I could have cried ... but I spent an hour improving the job and the finish is a tad more acceptable now. Thank goodness I always have wire wool around.

The "freebies".

These shoes are destined for some form of recycling. Anyone here wanting them, can have them.

post-40-0-31973500-1434578935_thumb.jpg Worn in the house. Couple of scuffs. UK8

post-40-0-75955300-1434578955_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-87518800-1434578957_thumb.jpg New. Some scuffs. Harness can be detached. UK7

post-40-0-97161400-1434578973_thumb.jpg Used. Leather. UK8

post-40-0-65350900-1434578987_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-92951400-1434579005_thumb.jpg New. UK7

I'm not expecting anyone to come forward for any of these, but I will hold them until Saturday 20th.

While some of these are listed as a UK7 I can get my feet into every pair without a struggle. Well, getting my ankle into the New Look cowboy boot isn't so easy, but all these fit. I'm a UK8.

Edited by FastFreddy2

The last pair would be my favourite, but they may be too big if they fit you and you're size 8. How high are they?

I am technically a wide 6, but generally wear size 7 :)

They could be worth trying to see if they fit. I have a week of work 29th June - 3rd July. I'm expecting a parcel delivery, but once it has arrived I could meet up.

Edited by hh4evr1

Sounds like you have the same size feet as Mrs Freddy. (Not jealous, much!  :P   :D) And any shoe that fits me will be too large for you. 

The closet thing I've had of 'mine', that might have fitted was a pair of these: post-40-0-87038800-1434754624_thumb.jpg

They were marked as a UK8 by ALDO, but were universally criticised as coming up a size small. I can usually get into a 7, though walking in them is something else. These came up a good 7, and because of the tiny/narrow toebox, I even suggested they might suit a 6½ when I sold them. Buyer was very pleased, so I didn't have the sizing wrong .... For some reason they felt higher than they looked too. Which is saying something given the heel was over 5" high as I remember.

Your shoe size, which you've mentioned before, surprises me. I tried on these: post-40-0-09941200-1434755148_thumb.jpg when I visited, and spent the better part of two hours photographing your collection for you. I remember they fitted like the proverbial glove, even though they didn't have a size printed on them anywhere. They MUST be too big for you?  :huh:

Yes they are a bit big for me and if you want them you can have them. I may have to find a pair in a smaller size.

Not been near any shops recently, so hadn't managed to drop off any shoes I'd planned on letting go until yesterday. (More going today.) One pair was by Nine West, and called O-Lamis.  :huh:

post-40-0-05222700-1435314346_thumb.jpg

It's funny what people remember .....

My walking companion (who some of you have met) made a remark about the Nine West ankle boots I passed on. She reminded me we chased all over London and the Home Counties buying up every pair I could - at the time they were on sale. Might have been late 2008 early 2009, or thereabouts. I know for sure I owned at least four pairs at one stage, at £42 a pair..... Reason being, I thought I'd never need another pair of heeled shoes to wear out. They have a rubber wedge heel, so super discreet, with no audible tell-tale clip-clop as with other shoes with a harder plastic heel. Even now it seems not such a good idea to let them go (and she was VERY surprised I did) but I've not had them on my feet for at least 3 years .... Why keep them? Generally, I wear a heel with a 4½ inch heel (or higher) now, where before my walking heel height was 4 inches. 

I sold at least one brand new pair on an auction site - maybe two pairs. (I can't remember.) And thanks to a retailer briefly declaring there was no time limit on their returns, I got refunds for two more pairs ...... (One pair was easy to return, the second pair was a little more problematic, but I got credit for them anyway.) That left me with a pair I'd worn, that maybe I could have sold, but frankly to 'agg' of selling shoes that don't make much money isn't really worth it. I'll be taking two brand new pairs to the charity shop later today for the same reason. It's a better use of my time to just let them go. Plus -of course- donating them to charities (who will sell them) is good for my soul. ;)   :)  Got some other bits to leave there too, so I'll sleep well tonight.  :D    

Edited by FastFreddy2

Yes they are a bit big for me and if you want them you can have them. I may have to find a pair in a smaller size.

I've double-checked the photo's, and as much as I look, the larger format pictures don't reveal any labelling at all. The photo-set is in a directory called "Pleaser", if that reduces the options at all?

I did find a distinguishing mark on the back of the left heel cover though. I'm hoping it'll be unique and still there.

post-40-0-93673200-1435787413_thumb.jpg

13 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Do you still have those wedge boots?

I will check Friday evening. Got in late, and (should) have an early start. B)

On 04/02/2016 at 11:47 AM, Russ in boots said:

Do you still have those wedge boots?

Looks like they have gone. :(

Even pulled out all my 'hidden' (from my immediate access,) shoes/boots that are stored in large plastic boxes too. Not here any longer.

The Nine West wedge boots were my first 'in and around the public in daylight' heeled shoe. If I remember, I wore them at Lakeside initially, almost 8 years ago to the month. Not long after, I replaced them with these ...

56b623ae1bf7f_HarleyDavidsonEllaharnessb

I removed the 'harness' bit to make them less 'girlie'. I imported them from America at considerable cost, but they were my 'go to' heel for around 3 years. I bought a second pair, but have not worn them as the first pair lasted so long. They come up more like a 7-7½ really. (Dune/Office/Topshop 8, other brands size 7.) Having a soft rubber heel put on in place of the manufacturers hard plastic one, transformed the boot. Significantly quieter, and pushed the heel a little higher.

As I bought a couple of pairs of even more pointed, and slightly higher shoes in the same style from M+S last year, I doubt these will ever get worn by me now. With carriage and duties, the H.D. would have cost me a little over £100. I'll be lucky to see £30 on an auction site, so I'm in no tearing hurry to see them gone, though they will be going.

They are so masculine, I got away with wearing them in front of friends the once I dared to try it. (Night-time, in a bar.) I've even been 'caught' wearing them at Brent Cross by people who knew me. No fall-out at all. B)

Been over a year since this threat was touched - quelle surprise.

Contrary to what I keep saying I will do, I've sold very little over the past year. In fact I've done a lot more buying than selling. Obviously the big place to sell is Evilbay, where the auction site takes around 15% of your bidders money. I'd had a pair of shoes on the web site for a year, priced at something like £15 delivered. Some Truffle 'barely there' shoes that usually sell for £18. I got £10 delivered for them. The sale netted me around £5.

58d12bc628c4d_Truffle-BarelyThere.jpg.9b3c0ea82f7ebaef61d6cf3dfcd3155b.jpg

Not just disappointing, but frustrating really, as these were a great fit. With a 5" heel, I would like to have worn them out. :huh:

It might be a great place to buy, but not so good for selling, sadly. I would describe it as a place to dispose, with some small financial compensation. That said, the PVC/faux leather thigh boots I've sold in the past, seemed quite popular... ;)

In my "continuing" quest for some nice red patent heels, I'd bought two pairs of 'used' Office courts with walkable heels close to 5" high. Sadly, I was unhappy with both pairs, each having undeclared faults on arrival. I just sold them on. Made a loss on each, but both pairs went fairly quickly.

Not sure why I keep looking for these. I actually bought a 'cheapo' pair for around £20 (delivered), new and boxed from an independent seller up Bradford way. Nice fit, comfortable, what's not to like? Only that they are a Chinese knock-off of Jimmy Choo, and I'd like the real thing. Or a pair of stupidly high Louboutin Hot Chick in my size. :rolleyes: 

On 3/21/2017 at 1:36 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

Been over a year since this threat was touched - quelle surprise.

Contrary to what I keep saying I will do, I've sold very little over the past year. In fact I've done a lot more buying than selling. Obviously the big place to sell is Evilbay, where the auction site takes around 15% of your bidders money. I'd had a pair of shoes on the web site for a year, priced at something like £15 delivered. Some Truffle 'barely there' shoes that usually sell for £18. I got £10 delivered for them. The sale netted me around £5.

58d12bc628c4d_Truffle-BarelyThere.jpg.9b3c0ea82f7ebaef61d6cf3dfcd3155b.jpg

Not just disappointing, but frustrating really, as these were a great fit. With a 5" heel, I would like to have worn them out. :huh:

It might be a great place to buy, but not so good for selling, sadly. I would describe it as a place to dispose, with some small financial compensation. That said, the PVC/faux leather thigh boots I've sold in the past, seemed quite popular... ;)

Those are lovely sandals and I am very surprised that they were so hard to sell, and only then for a pittance.  Apart from being elegant and feminine (and with a 5" heel), that style appears to be currently popular - so where were all the customers?   I assume you only sold them because, much as you would like to have worn them outside, they would have been too obviously girly - a pity though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Puffer said:

I assume you only sold them because, much as you would like to have worn them outside, they would have been too obviously girly - a pity though.

You assume right. Sandals almost never fit my slender feet, as my feet tend to slip forward n them. These shoes might have been made for me, they fitted so well.  I was disappointed it took so long to sell them on, and £10 wasn't the first bid I was offered either, I 'talked' it up to £10.... But they had to go because I was just never going to wear them. Had I a tendency to travel abroad, or far enough away from home I would have no chance of meeting people I knew (or had camera phones) I might have taken the chance on wearing them out in discreet circumstances. But I've almost no social life, don't participate in foreign holidays any longer, and we didn't get a summer last year either. There seemed little point in keeping them. The same can be said of perhaps 50% (or more) of the shoes I own. Even the mens shoes I have, amounting to some 4 or so pairs, only one of them is worn. The other 3 pairs I know I have, are literally 'gathering dust' and have been for years. At least two pairs have been waiting for some action for over 6 years (at least).

I'm surprised you're finding so little outlet for them. Let me know what you have with heels over 4 inches (all styles) and I promise to give you more than Ebay are allowing you!.

12 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

I'm surprised you're finding so little outlet for them. Let me know what you have with heels over 4 inches (all styles) and I promise to give you more than Ebay are allowing you!.

That's going to be one loooooong list. ;) :D

I'll certainly give it a go. B)

"Related", but slightly off-topic ....

I have noticed that some (Evilbay) buyers struggle to read. I have twice sold strobe lighting with "Collection only" clearly mentioned in the listing, with buyers then asking about carriage costs.

More recently, I listed a Makita drill with the same thing mentioned, bought by a chap 45 miles away. When asked about collection arrangements, I got no response so I had to refund, losing the benefit of the discount offer on fees I would have enjoyed if the sale went through. A couple of days ago, similar thing. I sold a Makita battery, with no picture of it shown at the time. (Why would someone bid on something they couldn't see?) I've since sent pictures of the battery, with the query; "Do you want?" The battery is 'as described' but I don't want it returned under the "Significantly not as described" clause .... I'd have to carry the cost of each way carriage in that situation (As unlikely as it might be.) I've not heard back from the bidder, and it's been some 25 hours at the time of writing.

Sellers can be intellectually challenged too. I once bought a very cheap pair of New Look ankle boots with a decent heel. I had asked the seller if there was a platform on the shoe before bidding, and I was told "no". When they arrived, they had a 'hidden' platform. :rolleyes:  At the time, return costs would have made sending them back unattractive. Thankfully the rules have changed since and 'mis-sold' items are returned at the sellers cost, though actually getting that money can be a bit fraught (I've read). 

Not sure what to do about the battery. It's packed and ready to go .... The  simple thing to do would be to send it. It couldn't be argued the buyer was unaware of what was going to arrive... :huh: