Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Selling Shoes And Boots

Wearing heels made a lot different... I wish I were honest to myself and had the currage to start wearing heels 30 years ago...

Me too.

That said, where would I be now, what would I be doing?

It would have gone one of two ways. Either gotten myself into the entertainment industry (one way or the other) or become a complete outcast/artist (photographer). Either of these two alternatives would have had me dead by now, given the opportunity either offered for excesses in one form or another.

As it was, I took the central route, and made a little money by conforming. That security gives me the freedom I now enjoy, even though my body struggles to enjoy the freedom in the way I might have 20 or 30 years ago. A trade off perhaps?

I'm a long way off suffering while wearing heels. This heat makes enclosed shoes difficult, but not impossible. Moving around much in the heat, can be tiring. I'll be a long time buried, so best to do what I can, while I can. B)

As with you, I would think .... ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Another two pairs left the Freddy household today. A pair of mine, and a pair of Mrs Freddy's heels. Me now with only 23 pairs to sell. :D

I think I should leave the balance of the boots until Autumn, and try to sell what I have left of the courts/mules to go. Still got a couple of pairs of Mrs Freddy's shoes to go, with one pair having a heel of over 6 inches. As my feet seem to sink into shoes, I usually take a snug size. A few minutes wear, and my feet have moulded into the shoe shape, and usually become quite loose. 15 years ago I had suggested Mrs Freddy use the same technique. Rather disappointingly, her feet swell (maybe like everyone elses, since the recommendation is usually to get a size larger). They have a platform that wasn't so 'trendy', at that time. They are not made very well either, despite being Italian (if I remember). The style is quite common now, though this pair comes with a slim ankle strap, which isn't so common.

I'll be adding them to the auction site quite soon. They look stunning on, but are a small size 6, so no good for me. :(

Edited by FastFreddy2

I'd mentioned that I had a count up, since I'd sold a few [30] pairs .....

Freddy shoe Audit.

Four categories ..... Each a bit broader to keep it realistic.

Courts and Mules.

15 pairs (mostly unused). Incredibly 9 to keep, and 6 to sell. 4 'keep' pairs, are the Schuh Lois. (I must have this number the wrong way around surely? :huh: )

Ankle and shoe boots.

51 pairs in total (51! :o) 34 to keep, with perhaps 7 or 8 pairs worn. 17 pairs to go, mostly unworn. This includes several styles where I have multiples. One style x2 another x2, one x6. As with the 'to go' pairs. One x3 another x5. :unsure:

Calf height.

Says here, 5 pairs to keep?

Long (knee) boots.

6 in total. 5 to keep and 1 to sell on. In the keep set, 2 styles with 2 pairs each are included. The pair to sell are some I forgotten about. :unsure:

Think that comes in at 77 pairs.

That makes 24 pairs to sell. [One pair already gone.]

Never let it be said, I'm a collector. :rolleyes: My problem is, I buy/use a pair I really like, and think they'll never be another pair I like so much. So I then go empty the shop of that style. I don't wear my way through them, and then another (replacement) best-liked-pair comes along....

I'm learning though. B) Bought about two pairs this year, with one already sold on. One pair in 8 months. Well done me. :D

Finally got another 'free' auction-style listing weekend from the auction site.

Will get the balance of the summer shoes on for Sunday. Will send links to the UK residents that post here, so you can see what's on offer. Not expecting any of you buy, but mistakes are easier to spot if someone else is looking. B)

• Like 1

Shoes are listed, but still have a couple of piccies to do, and complete the text on one or two of the listings.

There is one pair going for sensible money, with an un-sensible heel of 5" with no platform. Already have one buyer/bidder for these, who has offered to send me a cash payment ..... A fella, needless to say. ;) Actually, just checked the same listing while writing, and a 2nd person has bid on them already .... Bearing in mind the goods the bidder sells, and the history of buying UK8/EU42 shoes and boots, I suspect it's another fella. :)

9 listings done.

One or two more photo's to do, but the listings are complete for the most part.

I will PM the UK members who post, and anyone else who PM's me for the auction site account name. :D

I've sent the 4 UK based members I know (and have met ;)), a link to the auction site.

If you don't have a PM and live in the UK, maybe your profile/avatar doesn't reveal your location?

I will send a link to any member who is interested anyway, but I'm not going to 'spam' the membership, so you'll need to ask if you are curious. B)

I feel like I have to say this......

Do you sell them only by the pair?

A while back I was in a charity resale shop and came across a really nice left foot pump in my size. I dropped it to the floor and slipped into it while balancing on my crutches and walked about the store, liked how it looked and fit. I hunted all around for the mate, keeping in mind that shoes are sold only by the pair. After several minutes of searching all of the display shelves, I decided that the mate had walked away, or possibly the left shoe was donated by someone who shared my situation. The checkout clerk watched me approach her station on my crutches. As I set the single pump down, she asked if I needed both shoes. Several sarcastic and disrespectful replies ran through my mind, but I replied that I am able to do very well in just one shoe.

E

I feel like I have to say this......

Do you sell them only by the pair?

A fair question. B)

So far [and this weeks initial bids look to be no different], two of every three pairs sold by me, go to men. Were I to sell these shoes in batches, I would reduce the potential range of buyers because most seem to be discreet buyers hiding their purchases from people, like their significant other. Not one buyer has complained I offer these shoes in such a way, that purchases can not be seen. Often [though not always] feedback isn't left, as this could also flag the purchase.

As a buyer, I would bid on a bulk purchase if one or both these conditions existed: I liked every style in the batch [ii] I paid a proportionately lower price for a batch, than I would if I bought individually. Worse, if I didn't like one pair of the five pairs on offer, my bid would reflect the potential cost to me [£0] of putting the style I didn't like directly into the charity [thrift] store.

In four years of buying, I think I've twice seen 'bulk' [5 pairs] offered. As an example of how many I've looked at over those years, two days ago I reviewed over 5000 listings in one sitting. Not that my time couldn't and shouldn't have been spent doing other things .... :huh:

Also, bulk = volume. Over here we pay a premium to post anything over a kilogramme, as our national postal system is tilted toward letter post, rather than parcel delivery.

In summary: Selling in bulk would probably mean me getting very little money on the sale, and the discounted carriage I would have to offer, would probably make the whole thing uneconomic. Add my time for shipping and the potential risk of an unsatisfied customer [5 times greater with 5 pairs, than with one pair] it would almost certainly mean my time would be better spent just dumping them at a charity store. :(

I donate to charities regularly. I'm loathe to give away everything surplus in my life. :o Some of it was hard won, and has great value to me. And if truth be told, I enjoy the selling part too. :)

A while back I was in a charity resale shop and came across a really nice left foot pump in my size. I dropped it to the floor and slipped into it while balancing on my crutches and walked about the store, liked how it looked and fit. I hunted all around for the mate, keeping in mind that shoes are sold only by the pair. After several minutes of searching all of the display shelves, I decided that the mate had walked away, or possibly the left shoe was donated by someone who shared my situation. The checkout clerk watched me approach her station on my crutches. As I set the single pump down, she asked if I needed both shoes. Several sarcastic and disrespectful replies ran through my mind, but I replied that I am able to do very well in just one shoe.

E

While reading this comment didn't produce a loud 'belly-laugh', :D it is certainly the most amusing thing I've read for some time. A great report and it produces a wide grin every time I read it. (So far, about 5 times. :D )

Tops marks E. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

4 of 9 pairs on offer, got bids. A respectable tally, if a little disappointing.

None of the 3 high value items [£40 each] got offers, though two of them had watchers for the last 3 days or so. One pair in particular, had 117 views. As a general benchmark, I expect to see a bid if an item gets looked at, over 30 times. In fact the pair I'm thinking about, must of had over half those views, during today? Not sure what to make of it really?

On the up side, I've had contact and a meet up already, from an ex-member on here. B) He had shown some interest in a pair, and wanted to try them on for size. We seem to have startlingly similar backgrounds, and possibly, similar tastes. I've asked him to re-join. [i suspect he hadn't logged in, or changed his email address.] Ether way, I think "he'll be back". :D

One of the successful bidders, is 'mad' for heels. Not sure I'll get him on here, but it might happen. Early days yet, but I'm hoping for a meet with him via personal delivery of his purchase. ;)

Some related news .....

As before, 4 pairs sold, one pair returned.

Looking at the purchase history of one of my bidders for boots I'd offered for sale, I made enquiries about size and fit of a style he had bought that I liked too. I arranged a 'try on' session, as my bidder was a helpful and pleasant owner.

Although I posted his purchase before visiting, he wanted to return his purchase. I don't offer returns, but he wanted to return them anyway, and wasn't looking for a refund either? I said I would offer them to another bidder, and refund against the sale if the offer was taken up. [i didn't want to offer a refund at this time, though I hoped to be able to. I use expensive/safe carriage, and this formed 40% of the the purchase cost.]

I met the buyer, who I can tell you, had a small but truly wonderful (and expensive) collection of high heeled boots. I tried on several pairs, and the one (really) expensive pair I'd like to own that I had travelled to see. [i have a plan....]

Some of those I tried on, were too small for my host, and he gave them to me! Of course I was tempted to be coy, and refuse them, but ..... One pair almost fitted on shoe size, and another pair were just too nice to refuse! I accepted the gifts, which were offered to me because they needed to go to a good home. I was, and am, grateful.

Not only did I take back the boots bought from me, I brought back 3 more pairs of thigh boots too. Consequently, I did a full refund on his original purchase. Another bidder took them immediately when I offered them, so I have still reduced my original wardrobe by one pair.

Having had time to 'play' with the new acquisitions, I may not keep them. All three pairs are too large for me, though all 3 pairs were too small for the previous owner. Two pairs are not high enough either, if I'm honest. The third pair, which I really like, are patent. No walking out in those either. :( In fact they are so nice, even Mrs Freddy said; "They're pretty, it's a shame they don't fit me." :oB) Not had her in them yet, but I'll add a photo when I do.

After the 'try-on' session, we went out for a very short walk, him in 6" heels, and me in the 5" heels I'd arrived in. Didn't go anywhere we would be seen, as I understand it was his first visit outside in heels. I'm hoping to meet up again, with maybe have a longer period out and about. If I sell the donations on, the money will go toward another pair of boots. [Hopefully the style I was shown during my visit, that are waaaaay outside my usual budget.] If we do meet again it would be nice to go out with me wearing 'silly high' heels that fit, and by way of showing my appreciation, take the donor out somewhere for him to wear his heels too. [On a practical note, he would not be able to drive in the boots he wore, and lacing them up in a car before a walk, just wouldn't be practical.]

I suppose some will be wondering why the donation? Well, experience suggests that not everyone is happy to sell on auction sites. One of the buyers from the last group of 4 sold, has subsequently made his feedback [with purchasing history] private. This would be because he's bought some heels, and had feedback that ties the shoes to him, which he didn't want. Although I list privately, it is possible to find a purchase like these through feedback. Still not a problem, as long as no one mentions what the listing was for. For example: "Thanks for buying, I hope you enjoy the boots", tells a third party (wife/girlfriend) everything they need to know. And everything you may not want them to know ...

So I was given the boots, because the alternative was possibly to throw them? Charity shops would have little use for a size UK9/UK10 thigh boot. [From a moral stand point, even though I'm sure they'd sell.] Either way I'm obliged for the gifts, and will do what I can to make good on the gesture. He's a nice person to talk to, and I'd welcome a second visit.

Which brings me back to Thursdays visit.

The fella I had a meet with several weeks ago, has tried to re-join, and as best I can tell has been waiting 2 weeks to get back in. Obviously new members not a priority? And after 2 weeks of waiting, I guess most would give up?

He's still around though. I've had a lot of contact, and we are meeting again this Thursday.

We have planned a 'walk about' around the shops in London. I will also be bringing the heels he bought off an auction site with me, that I agreed to have delivered to my address, so his purchase remained discreet. No issue with him wearing/owning heels, but volume of heels (ie budget), as with most of us, a whole different issue. It could/would be with Mrs Freddy too of course. She knows I've money invested in heels, but wisely doesn't care to ask. She's pleased I'm selling some on. Not for the [little] money it recovers, but for the space the sales produce. ;) I don't know if it is 40 pairs of mine sold, but must be close. Including those sold for her too, it would be well over 40 pairs, with another 10 to 15 pairs between us to go. :o

I've re-listed the expensive styles I didn't sell before, and again have many watchers with even more 'views'. Hopefully, the watchers will become bidders. :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

Sounds like a bit of a success even if the sales haven't gone to plan. Meeting new heelers and getting gifts is a bit of a bonus :-)

Sounds like a bit of a success even if the sales haven't gone to plan. Meeting new heelers and getting gifts is a bit of a bonus :smile:

Just about all the shoes I couldn't (too small now) or wouldn't wear (heel too low or patent court) have gone. I've maybe 3 pairs worth very little, I could pass on and lose no sleep over it. Some I did well with, others - not so good.

But I'm creating some space, and winning some brownie points for selling rather than buying. Mrs Freddy should do well when her shoes go up. She is happy to throw anything she doesn't like, so anything sold will be a step up from there. [Mostly unworn, or worn once - twice tops.]

That aside, my visit wasn't very far from you. ;) (Not looking to pass any further detail on you or him .... )

Don't think I've mentioned this place either. :huh: Perhaps I should?

Maybe you could mention H4M to them, only you can decide if it seems the right thing to do and when.

As you are aware, even if they try to join H4M, it's not as simple as just applying?

I've recently applied to two other places for entry to Forums like this one. Not only did I get into both within 12 hours, one practically had an entrance exam, which obviously I must have passed. ;)

The second site, was mentioned to me by one of the active members here, during a two hour 'chat' conversation last night. Not only did I find an email welcome this morning, but it included a link to a personal board message from one of the site helpers. I had another 'chat' with the helper ("greeter" I think was her official title) when I logged on. She kept the 'chat' going for as long as I needed it.

Not sure why there is such a delay here? Not long ago, it seemed we were criticised for not working hard enough to swell the board numbers? :huh:

Another two pairs gone. The boots I took back also got sold (again) too. I really should have a count up, to see how many I've moved on. :huh:

The thigh boots are still here. I passed up the opportunity to list them for free last week, as I think there's a continuing shortage (or fear of shortage) in disposable liquid assets. [aka money.] One of my £40 listings had over 200 views with 8 watchers. Still no bids?

I shouldn't be surprised. I've some designer brand boots that are found offered for sale from $200 to $350 when sold directly in the US. Bringing them over here would usually add $40 to the purchase. Plus the VAT, now at 20%. Suggesting these might have a cost to a UK buyer over £200 to own them, wouldn't be entirely unrealistic. I have them offered at £40 too, but no interest. Well I say no interest, 5 watchers and over 60 views, but no bidders. :(

After a period of not selling, I tend to reduce the selling price until a buyer arrives. I sold some £30 New Look, 4" black stiletto shoe boots with leather uppers and seriously padded footbeds .... for £4-99. I tried them for fit before wrapping and dispatching. Felt like wearing a glove. Leather too. But they had to go. I have far too many pairs to keep everyone shoe or boot I own. BUT I won't give away the expensive stuff.

Maybe I need to wait until the cold weather arrives, to see if they sell. If not, I'll just wear them. :D If anyone is going to enjoy a £200 boot [that no-one wants to buy at £40], that would doubtless sell at the give away price of £10, I might as well get the pleasure of wearing them. They are worth more than £10 to me, even if I'll be stressed knowing I've such expensive footwear on. :rolleyes:

I checked the transportcost from Norway and abroad for a pair of boots, estimated weight 3 kg incl wrapping.... close to 100 usd.

What is the shipmentcost from UK and abroad?

What is the shipmentcost from UK and abroad?

3kg's is a lot of weight for a pair of shoes or boots? ;):D

Our National Carrier is Royal Mail. They have a separate business for moving parcels around the world called ParcelForce Worldwide. Private companies like TNT/DHL might be cheaper, but I haven't priced up the costs with them as their services are usually fully tracked, and are likely to be more expensive than the cheapest ParcelForce options.

Dimensions weren't given, so I priced it on a 10cm x 20cm x 30cm package. This gave the cost of transporting the weight, rather than the volume. If the package was 100cm x 100cm x100cm, then the package would be charged by volume, not weight.

If you have dimensions, and the package 'volumes out', the pricing would change. See 3kg results in screen shot below:

post-40-0-36055700-1347439242_thumb.jpg

Knee height leather boots with leather linning and leather sole, size 44/45 is quite heavy....

And since the weight go by kg.. anything above 2 kg will be as 3 kg...then I beleave 3 kg inclusive wrapping will be correct.

:)

I agree the weight will be greater than the shoes and boots I am used to sending, as heaviest so far including packing, came in under 1.5kgs. Those knee boots might 'volume out' too?

The faster you want to send them, the more detail you want while in transit [ie tracking] will cost more of course. We in the UK might use ParcelForce to send something cheap and bulky anywhere in the world, for not much money. But no tracking (no way of knowing if it's actually delivered) and very little compensation is the recipient claims 'undelivered'. I think this service is tilted toward inexpensive gifts sent to relatives or friends abroad.

As before, I've now sent shoes to Canada, Sweden and Ireland using a Royal Mail International Tracked service. Quick, tracked [signature on receipt] and came in around £30-£35 per package if I remember. But all of these would have been under 1kg.

Around 7 years ago, I had to return a heavy [2kg+] package to the US, that was delivered faulty on receipt. Cost me £72 even then, for a fully tracked and insured [£1600] carriage, to get it back. Was a very unpleasant experience I haven't repeated.

Some of my buyers have been critical of my postage costs, but I won't send anything unless a signature is needed on receipt. I doubt there are many rogues out there, but carelessness [loss] and mis-deliveries [delivered to wrong door number] could cause me problems I'd sooner avoid. And buyers are no better. A number of times recently, I've had the wrong postcode included with the rest of the address. Twice they've had a single wrong digit, which is bad enough, but another had the postcode from a completely alternate [previous] address.... :rolleyes:

Consequently I check every one before sending. :ph34r:

Mrs Freddy is back at work, so Freddy Entertainment Services Ltd is able to stand down for another month (until the good lady gets another week off.)

Managed to get more footwear re-listed for sale in the last hours of the weekend, and some other bits I found that have been sitting around for a while. :rolleyes: Living out of boxes sometimes provides some interesting surprises, finding clothes you'd bought and completely forgotten about, including items meant to be returned more than a year ago. :huh:

I've also managed to get a couple of pairs of thigh boots in size US11 on sale too. Booth pairs too large for me, and styles I couldn't wear anyway. [Legs waaay too thin.] There's a further pair in size US12 to go too, but they'll have to wait until the other two pairs have been sold first.

Having a few moments to look at the computer, I'm able to do some much needed admin. Had a count up too, of the shoes sold on an auction site. Currently stands at 47 pairs!

I remember buying every pair, and why. There were many disappointments, mostly from sizing issues. Some too large, but mostly a tad too small. Okay for wearing for a couple of minutes, but not suitable for what I need them for - walking around in. ;)

While I've had a fairly dry spell on purchasing, looks like some of this seasons styles are moving away from platforms. I suspect there might be one or two minor reversals in the collection reduction initiative ..... :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

There is one pair going for sensible money, with an un-sensible heel of 5" with no platform.

Already have one buyer/bidder for these, who has offered to send me a cash payment ..... A fella, needless to say. ;) Actually, just checked the same listing while writing, and a 2nd person has bid on them already .... Bearing in mind the goods the bidder sells, and the history of buying UK8/EU42 shoes and boots, I suspect it's another fella. :)

Rather interestingly (to us) this fella has started selling off some of his own collection. A person with VERY good taste in footwear I might add. Missed something a short while ago I would gladly have bid on....

Sold for £50! post-40-0-01169300-1348836712_thumb.jpg

He's got one or two other pairs up at the moment, going to be very hard not to bid on at least one of the items.... :huh:

That, after bidding and winning a pair of knee boots (for looking at, not wearing!) Waaay too high to walk around in anywhere ..... :wub:

Edited by FastFreddy2

I've put some more shoes and boots up on the auction site. Sizes ranging from UK 6 up through 7 and 8 to UK 9 inclusive. With that size range, you will understand they are not all mine? Might be 13 pairs on offer at the moment.

Small number of the listings still need some work like additional pictures, but there's something there for everyone. ;)

As before, no links to the listings, thank you. B)

A further 6 pairs of mine gone, 2 pairs previously owned by a friend. B) 5 pairs to go on again. :huh:

For the most part, it's the more expensive ones that take time to sell.... ;)