Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Azzedine Alaïa

I have wanted to spend a silly amount of money on a pair of boots for a couple of months now. Initially pencilled in a Christmas present, it was more a 'mid-life-crisis' amount of money. It's that or get a motor bike, which has the potential to be seriously less healthy. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

If I'm honest, my thinking is if I do that, it should curb my interest in owning so many more less expensive styles. It sort of sits on hh4evr1 remark that it's better to own one good pair than lots of cheaper ones? Certainly makes sense as I only wear about 4 styles. The rest are just eye candy!

The decision process went something like........ Over £500 and I'd never be able to look at myself in the mirror, nor maybe anyone else come to think of it. [it's a ridiculous amount of money for a pair of shoes!] Then anything less than say £250, is practically high street pricing. [LK Bennet, Russell and Bromley, Kurt Geiger all have shops with shoes/boots for this sort of money.] So probably over £300 and under £500.

I found a potential boot, by Azzedine Alaïa on sale for £425 at Net-a-Porter. Quite stylised, so not likely to be copied. High heel with slim hidden platform, so probably comfortable. Sizing maybe an issue. Italian sizing [usually slim] might be okay, but I'd want to try the largest size first. But .... "Out of stock". I've been watching the site every day for what must be a couple of weeks. Think it was last Friday, stock popped up in the EU41 size. I was too busy Saturday and Sunday to sit down and order, so had a look Monday morning, already having decided I would buy. To my dismay [and maybe relief] both the 41 and 40 1/2 had gone! Not sure why, maybe an earlier error being remedied. Maybe someone else unsure of their foot size ordered both?

The site provides free returns, so why not? I had considered doing the same thing myself. The answer will be if one size reappears. Thing is, I'm not sure I could make the "I'm buying" decision again on a £400 pair of boots?" rolleyes.gif

I have a thing for ankle boots, as I've such skinny legs. [so no long boots possible really.]

I've also got a thing for curved, banana shaped heels. These are high at 5" but the slim platform helps make it a practical design too.

The downside to me owning these would be, I'd still have to hide them under long jeans or trousers. sad.gif Maybe just as well I don't own a pair ..... Though they provide a great response to criticism for wearing womens shoes? "They're an £800 shoe. Who wouldn't want to wear them?" tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I have wanted to spend a silly amount of money on a pair of boots for a couple of months now. Initially pencilled in a Christmas present, it was more a 'mid-life-crisis' amount of money. It's that or get a motor bike, which has the potential to be seriously less healthy. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

If I'm honest, my thinking is if I do that, it should curb my interest in owning so many more less expensive styles. It sort of sits on hh4evr1 remark that it's better to own one good pair than lots of cheaper ones? Certainly makes sense as I only wear about 4 styles. The rest are just eye candy!

The decision process went something like........ Over £500 and I'd never be able to look at myself in the mirror, nor maybe anyone else come to think of it. [it's a ridiculous amount of money for a pair of shoes!] Then anything less than say £250, is practically high street pricing. [LK Bennet, Russell and Bromley, Kurt Geiger all have shops with shoes/boots for this sort of money.] So probably over £300 and under £500.

I found a potential boot, by Azzedine Alaïa on sale for £425 at Net-a-Porter. Quite stylised, so not likely to be copied. High heel with slim hidden platform, so probably comfortable. Sizing maybe an issue. Italian sizing [usually slim] might be okay, but I'd want to try the largest size first. But .... "Out of stock". I've been watching the site every day for what must be a couple of weeks. Think it was last Friday, stock popped up in the EU41 size. I was too busy Saturday and Sunday to sit down and order, so had a look Monday morning, already having decided I would buy. To my dismay [and maybe relief] both the 41 and 40 1/2 had gone! Not sure why, maybe an earlier error being remedied. Maybe someone else unsure of their foot size ordered both?

The site provides free returns, so why not? I had considered doing the same thing myself. The answer will be if one size reappears. Thing is, I'm not sure I could make the "I'm buying" decision again on a £400 pair of boots?" rolleyes.gif

Edited by miltboot

That IS an interesting heel. If they offered it on a Taller boot I would consider it.

You'd have to be nuts! wink.gifbiggrin.gif$1000+ Even in a sale ! ohmy.gif >> Alaïa long boot <<

The curved heel is slowly becoming a bit more popular, as designers struggle to find new ideas. Heels are thickening up everywhere, (which is good for me). The inward curve is great for wearing under straight trousers and jeans, and maybe why there's some interest. [Doesn't everyone want to be that bit taller, without announcing they're wearing 5 or 6 inch heels?] With a curved in heel, you don't need to have a flared end to your trouser, to cover your shoes. wink.gifcool.gif

P.S.

Thankfully, they don't have your size. wink.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2