Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Rubbing Shoulders With Celeb's - Almost.

Part 1.

The afternoon started a little later than planned, care of trying to bathe before the heating system provided hot water. Consequently, a late departure meant we had to skip the Brent Cross part of the adventure.

The evening moved up a gear almost as soon as we arrived in London. Finding a parking space at 6.23pm that should be paid for, a passing Traffic Warden assured us we were safe from a ticket from him at that time, and told us why. [Can’t see how he’ll stay in that job long….. Bless him.]

We visited Marks and Spencer first, looking for some work shoes for Mrs Freddy. We were there a long time, and while herself must have tried 6 or 7 pairs of shoes, I tried none….. As we were dressed for the cool air outside, eventually it was the heat (in the sales area) that forced us out of the store. That and Mrs Freddy’s frustration at not being able to find suitable shoes in the M&S flagship store.

Further up Oxford Street, we tried NEXT for the same thing, working shoes. Nothing suitable there either, and the store was quite limited in its choice of shoes, given its location.

We then walked back towards the bulk of the larger stores [Eastward.] I couldn’t stop myself visiting New Look. Not always an easy place to visit. This is a store that always has security on the door. You have to walk up a large flight of steps – rather like a Grand Entrance - and Mr Security stands at the top of the stairway. The high heels of men wearing them, is almost impossible to hide.... It’s even worse leaving, because you almost always have to walk right past Mr Security. The gauntlet run, it was a fruitless exercise. [Pun intended.]

Walking further, we passed a River Island, and by now frustration had set in, and I wanted to try on some shoes. The store was fairly quiet, so I tried on these >> these << in their size 8. Bit small as expected. [Think they are owned by same people who own Top Shop, and T.S. shoes come up a size small like Dune.]

We approached Selfridges, at what might have been almost 8pm, which is closing time for many stores on Saturday. We got in anyway, and were told the store would shut a little later at 9pm. We went straight to the second floor, and to Womens Shoes.

I think I made sure we looked at every shoe there. Must go to almost 1000 shoes? Only tried on one style, >> these << from Nine West. Oddly, a size 7 [uS 9] fitted best. Waaaaay too expensive though, at £165. [seen since on sale at £115.]

As it was getting late and we needed to eat, we both went to the loo in preparation for going outside and walking to the restaurant in what we expected to be cool evening air. As we approached the top of the down escalator, I caught a fellow walking around behind us with what could’ve been an iPhone, and using it to record video. [i saw him later, doing the same thing on the ground floor.]

I made our displeasure obvious and he walked away.

As a further note, the whole time we had been in-store, Selfridges had been playing what I now know to be Rihanna’s latest album. This only seemed odd because I had thought they would be mimicking a radio show by playing various artists? Anyway, down ward we went.

Approaching the ground floor, and close to one of the side entrances, I spotted [while still some way up the escalator], a tall girl – possibly a model – wearing VERY high Louboutins with platforms at least 2 inches thick [if not more]. As Mrs Freddy likes Karen Millen, I thought I would try to get a piccy of the shoes, while herself looked around K.M.

Once on the ground floor, I could see just how tall the model was in her shoes, and realised she was important enough to Selfridges to have an assistant walk with her. As she walked across in front of us, I realised she looked like Rihanna, and understood why the music of hers had played constantly the 30/40 minutes we had been in store!

We crossed behind, and I then noticed there was two fellas in the shopping group there as protection for the famous shopper. I tugged Mrs Freddy toward me and we walked in a semi circle to outflank her, so I could get a picture from the side as she walked past with her entourage? [There’s a big yard wide column right next to the back wall by the All Saint concession, and we stood next to the column.] Waiting for her to walk past, I turned to talk to Mrs Freddy, only to find the group had turned off behind us, and Rihanna was standing right behind Mrs Freddy! I gently pulled at her arm, and the group passed us. I managed to get a >> quick snap << off of the back heads of a couple in the group. Rihanna’s two protectors [see one chap in newspaper article] were stopping people getting too close that were trying to take photo’s with their phones…. He didn’t seem bothered with me as we were so far away from her by the time I’d composed myself and aimed my phone camera. [My ‘instant on’ tele-zoom camera still in the car of course.]

It occurred to me she might be fake, a lookee-likee, but too many Selfridge staff were popping into the area to have a look, for it not to be have been the real deal. [see newspaper article. The outfit - furry top with stocking type tights - was the outfit seen by us on Saturday night too. So we did stand next to one of the UK’s most popular girl singers.] >> Newspaper article. <<

We just acted ‘cool’, wink.gif and popped into the Karen Millen concession, before being advised the store was closing. [9pm.] We left and headed for the restaurant.

Had a great meal at ASK Italian. I spent some of the time texting people telling them who we’d just seen. I also enjoyed a window seat expecting I could watch girls in heels walk past, which they did fairly frequently. I may have had my heels spotted once, as a young female pedestrian walked backwards for a second look at me. I just smiled. [What else could I do?] huh.gif

Part 2.

We got back to the car, and I was reluctant to leave London, having a great night out I didn’t want to end. With a belly full of food, I wanted to walk some of it off. Herself wanted to go home, but I promised a short walk of some 30 minutes. It was also an excuse to put slightly higher heels on. >> These << in fact. So we walked.

As a reminder, the pavements in the West End are made of slabs with for the most part, cracks/gaps between filled with mortar. The idea being, they provide a smooth surface that helps prevent tripping or injury. In practice, it doesn’t work so well. My higher heels came with quite a thin stiletto heel, but I needed to get them worn.

We walked for a good while, and even stopped for a bit outside Hamleys toy shop in Regent Street, to watch some of the animated window displays. While outside the store, one of my heels went down one of >> these << perforated basement vents! I was really cross for a couple of minutes. While examining the damaged heel, lifted but still on my foot, I got a look of plain disbelief from the male half of a passing couple. biggrin.gif

While standing there, we kept seeing small groups of leggy high-heeled girls walking past, all going in the same general direction. I thought we might try to find out where they were going?

We found they were going to one of the many nightclubs in the area..... It was around 11pm, so folk were queuing to get into the venue. We walked up to and past the queue and having spotted another pair of Louboutins on quite a short girl, I realised it was Chloe Green, TV Celebrity [D list maybe] currently appearing in Made in Chelsea, and daughter to the owner of the TopShop Group [mentioned before]. She was with two black fellas, and another girl called Rosie, also from the cast of M.i.C. See fairly disappointing >> piccy1 piccy2 <<. Being short in stature, it seems Chloe has quite a collection of Louboutins. [Read quote from fellow M.i.C. cast member Victoria.]

It rather looked to me like the girls wanted to get in the club, but the staff seemed like they were having none of it. Eventually the girls and one of the fellas left, walking past us and leaving along the route we had arrived on. As soon as they rounded the corner [just out of our sight], they got ‘papped’!

We left too, and walked past the group of three who were by now standing on the kerb waiting to cross Regents Street. I still didn’t get a shot of Chloe’s shoes. Decided there and then I must get a better camera.

We returned to the car to begin our homeward journey, about an hour and a half after we had started our after-dinner walk. [Ooops!] But what a night!? cool.gif

Reason for edit: Adding links.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Great write up Freddy and loving the accompanying pictures. I don't recall Rhianna mentioning she almost met you and Mrs Freddy, while she was out, in any of the showbiz columns though maybe she just didn't recognise you :P Her loss

Great write up Freddy and loving the accompanying pictures. I don't recall Rhianna mentioning she almost met you and Mrs Freddy, while she was out, in any of the showbiz columns though maybe she just didn't recognise you :PHer loss

biggrin.gif

Maybe. wink.gif

The writeup is a tad over 1500 words, with article links and edited photo's too. I've done less for project course work when at college ..... So no small amount of work. blink.gif

The reason for the effort, is to ensure there's no doubt in anyones mind this is all true. The photo I have of Rihanna in Selfridges, has her with corkscrew hair, and a fur gillie. Not a hair style I've seen her with before, and the fur gillie? [Yeuk!] But fortunately, she was snapped in Knightsbridge [not too far away] in the same outfit. cool.gif Plus the photo in the paper shows the front of her Loubie's, and indicates the height of the platform, which was what drew me toward her originally. [Her height and her boots.] The 'fake suspender' tights she was wearing, are also drawing other articles in the newspapers, more evidence it was really her. [Not a fake.] >> For example << smile.gif

An incredible evening. With me wearing either 4 or 4 1/2 inch heels while it all happened. Bliss. happy.gif

Now THAT is a story! this is indeed a great write up!

I'm not much of a celebrity follower so while it's nice to spot a celebrity, I think you handled it great!

Great pics, great story. More, more!

PS: yeah, I'm jealous. I need to work on convincing my wife on me wearing heels out. Maybe if buy her Louboutin's....

Now THAT is a story! this is indeed a great write up!

I'm not much of a celebrity follower so while it's nice to spot a celebrity, I think you handled it great!

Great pics, great story. More, more!

PS: yeah, I'm jealous. I need to work on convincing my wife on me wearing heels out. Maybe if buy her Louboutin's....

As far as wearing heels out goes ..... Firstly let me advise to proceed with caution! mellow.gif

You WILL get spotted, and your self-awareness won't help. Meaning; You'll believe folk are noticing, even when they're not. When they do notice, you'll need the confidence to shrug it off. [i still struggle with this some days.]

Not only is all this true for you, it'll be even more intense for your S.O. You'll not only have to carry the situation for yourself, but for your partner too.

I started off in not especially girlie shoes [black leather wedge boots] and eventually found high heeled cowboy boys were an acceptable style to Mrs Freddie. I made sure the heels were low enough as to not affect my walking style too much, so I drew the minimum amount of attention to myself. Noisy environments are good too, to help disguise the unique sound that heels produce. Often the heels supplied from the factory are hard plastic which are noisy and frankly dangerous. [slip hazard.] My boots improved on both counts when re-heeled using a regular rubber compound.

Lastly, consider visiting a venue some way from anyone you might know. If you have a moment of discovery, it remains your affair, not the subject of local gossip....

In summary, don't force anything. And reward any contribution made to a day out. wink.gif

As for the celebrity encounter ....... This may have been a bit of a one off.

Though I do notice people from time to time .... We walked around Watford Harlequin Centre one day a couple of years ago, and saw Nicolas Cage pushing what we hope was his child in a pram. If I remember the lady he was with, may of been of Eurasian descent? Seems he was filming over here at the time ..... [Elstree Studios are about 10 miles from Watford.] It's a nice thing to see, but I don't chase these people. We are lucky (I think) to be living close to a capital city, one that international and homegrown celebs are happy to frequent. It takes us less than an hour by car to get into London. Less than an hour to get to a good number of venues for wearing heels.

I'm sitting here thinking that the proximity of these places makes me lucky? But I think it more the case, I'm just prepared to take advantage of these opportunities, where others might not. [i create my own opportunity for indulgence from my available environment?] That's also true of my wife. Some might think I'm lucky to be with someone who is easy-going enough to tolerate my interest? I would counter that my partner could only be my partner, if she were tolerant? [i'm ALWAYS well meaning, and generally easy going. But I am hard work sometimes too.huh.gifbiggrin.gif]

I hope you get out in heels, and get help from your S.O.

Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out though. Most of the ladies in my life now, (and in my past) have known about my interest in heels. But not everyone of them, and some would not have tolerated the idea at all. I've pushed the boundaries of 'normal' behaviour, but then no-one I know looks at me and sees a regular guy anyway. My behaviour is tolerated I think sometimes, almost because it's expected.

For example .... We went to see a movie last night. It was on early, and we were going for coffee and a sweet course at a local restaurant afterward. Mrs Freddy was quite surprised I wore flat shoes rather than heels. We were in a rush to get out promptly, it was just easier in flats.... But it wasn't expected. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

[Film was Immortal. - Horrible plot and graphics. Might be one of those films borne of a computer game.

We had thought; "Hmmm. Greek mythology, might be good?" Was so bad I nearly left early. sad.gif Cinema had 6 people in it, including us. Wonder why?]

Reason for edit: Grammar and continuous Editor malfunction??

Edited by FastFreddy2

I'd hoped to include a piccy of Rihanna's boots from the internet .... somewhere. So far, no luck. unsure.gif

I did stumble across a piccy of some clone boots on a well known auction site. I've used a section of the image there for illustration and review purposes only. Any copyright claim is acknowledged.

The boots appear to be the same style the singer was wearing when we saw her, and when she got 'papped' that evening. Looking at the platform and heel height, it's understandable as to why she seemed so tall .... cool.gif

post-40-0-50662400-1323124413_thumb.jpg