Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Strictly - It Takes Two

The toes are not particularly long or very sharply pointed.  The whole appearance is well-balanced; they would look totally wrong imho if they had a stubby or rounded toe, quite apart from the foreshortening effect.   

My Miguel Jones boots have a high 5" heel and their pointed toes are longer - perhaps a little too long (and I like pointed toes!) - but again the overall look is balanced:Jones3.thumb.jpg.1ae048e8872be475708e51200535f096.jpg 

Those toes are almost exactly like the ones on the boots I was mentioning. They remind me of a policeman's question once to someone wearing winklepickers: 'Do your toes go right to the tip of your shoes?' The answer: 'Does your head go right to the top of your helmet?'

10 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Those toes are almost exactly like the ones on the boots I was mentioning. They remind me of a policeman's question once to someone wearing winklepickers: 'Do your toes go right to the tip of your shoes?' The answer: 'Does your head go right to the top of your helmet?'

I remember that exchange too - and I'm sure I've posted it here.   My copyright!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

I remember that exchange too - and I'm sure I've posted it here.   My copyright!

Ah, it was you who said it, was it? The right era, I suppose... ;-)

On 08/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, Russ in boots said:

Ah, it was you who said it, was it? The right era, I suppose... ;-)

That's a little unkind ....  ;) :D

10 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

That's a little unkind ....  ;) :D

10 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Well... Couldn't resist! ;-)

Not unkind at all!   I'm proud to have been around (and observant) when winkle-pickers and policemen's helmets were seen every day.   And nurses wore seamed black stockings and starched caps, errand boys whistled and railway porters carried luggage for a tanner tip.

Alas, nostalgia is not what it used to be ...

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

Not unkind at all!   I'm proud to have been around (and observant) when winkle-pickers and policemen's helmets were seen every day.   And nurses wore seamed black stockings and starched caps, errand boys whistled and railway porters carried luggage for a tanner tip.

Alas, nostalgia is not what it used to be ...

I remember some of it - just - but you have the advantage on me. I don't remember my mother wearing anything other than tights, and certainly not stilettos, although my nan wore a girdle and stockings with real metal clasps on the suspenders. Policemen in helmets, of course, and pre-decimal currency. Then the problem of trying to divide 5 by 12 to try to work out how much you were paying...

12 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

I remember some of it - just - but you have the advantage on me. I don't remember my mother wearing anything other than tights, and certainly not stilettos, although my nan wore a girdle and stockings with real metal clasps on the suspenders. Policemen in helmets, of course, and pre-decimal currency. Then the problem of trying to divide 5 by 12 to try to work out how much you were paying...

My late mother never wore heels of any significance (alas), although in her late 30s when the stiletto era was emergent.   Stockings/suspenders, yes, but she preferred to go bare when possible and was always a (flat) sandal lover.   Thinking about it, she was pretty unfashionable all round and somewhat bohemian; never glamorous.

There was an easy way to approximate a post-decimal conversion back to 'real money'.   Double the decimal figure and put a 'shilling stroke' between the figures, e.g. 27p = 5/4d; 93p = 18/6d; £2.63 = 52/6d (£2.12.6).   (it works the other way round too:   4/9d = 24p.   

I remember too bombsites, rationing (just), smog, Sputnik and the Suez crisis! 

I can remember steam trains going past the end of our garden - they finished in 1967, I think. I wonder how people alongside the preserved lines (Bluebell Railway etc) like the smoke. Would it make everything dirty? Washing etc. Bombsites? We had one upstairs until a couple of years ago when our son moved out...

We saw these heels earlier .....

S-ITT2  day 3a.jpg

And the skirt worn was this .....

5a0a2a2646fcd_HighwaistedleatherorPUskirt.jpg.f47bbdc22543c0d87520878067983cc8.jpg

Very attractive!

This dancer is quite petite, and would look good in anything, but the 5" Loubies were back again, seen here.

5a0a24743c458_Ep23a.jpg.67c846327de75bc53b6882984e37d20b.jpg5a0a245f32c25_Ep23b.jpg.fe4142785f57ccc2d66abe195223bfe6.jpg

With her tiny size 4 feet, they have probably the sharpest rise of any shoe seen on this programme. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

5a14b2180fd07_Ep26a.jpg.311a0d4e6de829988fbf86b034e3a3c6.jpg5a14b21a0bb55_Ep26b.jpg.505ebc365866ebf0727a7ab460ffd982.jpg5a14b2303f9ce_Ep27a.jpg.efa2b9200d5f8c261b56a190ba374eb9.jpg5a14b232bb46c_Ep27b.jpg.356f3e7713a846ee2baad9da3a5378a4.jpg5a14b235643c1_Ep28a.jpg.f7666f562e89350155b458b4f4f71eec.jpg

In case anyone has failed to notice, "sock boots" are big this year. 

Edited by FastFreddy2

9 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

In case anyone has failed to notice, "sock boots" are big this year. 

Indeed they are, and very stylish too!   Two minor criticisms, however:   

(i) The close-fitting shaft emphasises the 'rear projection bulge' of the boot with foot, especially if the heel is itself placed towards the back of the boot.    Although that would be equally true of a court shoe, the presence of the uncovered shaft highlights it;

(ii)  The trend to wear the boots with a skirt or cropped trousers, revealing the entire shaft (and emphasising the bulge per (i)), is the opposite of what seems to have become common, i.e. covering most of any boot/heel worn inside trousers.   I'm not sure which I like least, but clearly the idea is to show off the sock boot shaft.

The sleek lines of a sock boot seem to me to be a good male fashion, ideally worn with narrowish trousers just breaking across the top of the heel.   Any heel of width around 1" or less would be fine - stilettos for the really daring.

There were once again, some high heels to be seen on the 2018 series, but the director must have been told to avoid transmitting (where possible) anything that could be reproduced on sites like this. 

What used to be wide shots with zooming into the heel wearers, almost stopped altogether. More often than not, women in heels sat behind the man, even if this meant the celeb being hidden by a dancer. I pretty much decided early on, following the series wasn't going to be worthwhile. Zoe has also started to wear shoes with slightly lower heel. (She's not getting any younger.)  That's not to say heels weren't evident, but trying to get screen shots would not have been as worthwhile as it once used to be. :(

• Like 1