Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Barratts ~ Ankle Height Block-Heeled Boots

Not my favourite brand, but they do have attractive styles from time to time. More interesting when they're about to close a line, and bargains can sometimes be had. Barratts tend to mark quite a lot of their styles with 'discount' labels, but that's like getting it for their intended real price, as far as I can see. Very occasionally, they do actually have some styles with serious discount applied....

Like >> this one. <<

I'm thinking I might take the plunge. Spend £12, and with that cross toe belt removed, anything poking out of my jeans will look quite manly..... :rolleyes:

Not my favourite brand, but they do have attractive styles from time to time. More interesting when they're about to close a line, and bargains can sometimes be had. Barratts tend to mark quite a lot of their styles with 'discount' labels, but that's like getting it for their intended real price, as far as I can see. Very occasionally, they do actually have some styles with serious discount applied....

Like >> this one. <<

I'm thinking I might take the plunge. Spend £12, and with that cross toe belt removed, anything poking out of my jeans will look quite manly..... :o

They will work well with a pair of jeans, i dont think that the cross strap would be an issue because its not going to be seen and at £12 thats a realistic rice to pay for them..:rolleyes:

They will work well with a pair of jeans, i dont think that the cross strap would be an issue because its not going to be seen and at £12 thats a realistic rice to pay for them..:o

My single concern, is that we men can be quite hard on heels, especially cheaper ones made to a fairly low price.

More than once I've bought shoes with an owner replaceable nasty cheap/trashy soft plastic heel tip 'spare' included. At first look it seemed quite an attractive idea, giving the owner a spare set of tips. One of the pairs bought [and returned] were from Barratts. Both pairs I'd seen with these style heel tip, were unique to that particular shoe [heel shape] and would be impossible to replace once the spare had worn through too. Being owner changeable, the tips could be popped out with a knife blade, and the replacement 'popped' back in with a stiff push. But you'd only change them yourself once. Wear through the spare, and the shoes looked like they were going to have to go in the bin.

Not a problem for a fashion-savvy teenager, who possibly would want to throw them away after 6 months anyway. :rolleyes:

Not so good if you are looking for some shoes to wear for a couple of years, like most other styles?

My single concern, is that we men can be quite hard on heels, especially cheaper ones made to a fairly low price.

More than once I've bought shoes with an owner replaceable nasty cheap/trashy soft plastic heel tip 'spare' included. At first look it seemed quite an attractive idea, giving the owner a spare set of tips. One of the pairs bought [and returned] were from Barratts. Both pairs I'd seen with these style heel tip, were unique to that particular shoe [heel shape] and would be impossible to replace once the spare had worn through too. Being owner changeable, the tips could be popped out with a knife blade, and the replacement 'popped' back in with a stiff push. But you'd only change them yourself once. Wear through the spare, and the shoes looked like they were going to have to go in the bin.

Not a problem for a fashion-savvy teenager, who possibly would want to throw them away after 6 months anyway. :rolleyes:

Not so good if you are looking for some shoes to wear for a couple of years, like most other styles?

Very true, you do get what you pay for and yes Barratts are "Cheap" in manufacture though not always in price.

I must say (Straying slightly off topic) that those Ninewest ankle boots I bought the other day are probably the best made AND most comfortable pair that I have in my collection. So it just goes to show you pay more, you get more.:o They are actually more comfy than some of my "Mens" going out shoes!

I must say (Straying slightly off topic) that those Ninewest ankle boots I bought the other day are probably the best made AND most comfortable pair that I have in my collection. So it just goes to show you pay more, you get more.:o They are actually more comfy than some of my "Mens" going out shoes!

I'd purposely stayed away from mentioning those new boots because I'm hoping you'd do a write up of your visit/experiences of the day, [including the fella at Superdrug] and [ii] do another thread entirely about the new boots with piccies? But as you've mentioned it ...... I've some Nine West boots I imported from the US and they were my first experience of padded footbeds, and I found the same as you - incredibly comfortable, especially if worn for longer periods. :rolleyes:

Like >> this one. <<

I'm thinking I might take the plunge. Spend £12, and with that cross toe belt removed, anything poking out of my jeans will look quite manly..... :o

Back up to £15 on-line .... :rolleyes:

Like >> this one. <<

I never did get into Barratts earlier in the year to get those boots, and when on offer for £12 were quite a bargain. smile.gif

For most of the subsequent months this year, the SAME boots were on offer for £50. I guess they wouldn't have sold many with a 400% price increase......

No surprise then, the company has gone into Administration and with it the daughter company, Priceless. Bargains are currently to be had at Barratts, with Mrs Freddy acquiring some Skecher Shape Ups, for £40 rather than the usual £90 [in that store.] I've been critical of their styles, and prices in the not too distant past. I think I mentioned they do have interesting styles from time to time, but are generally, poorly made and of poor value. Looks like I'm not alone in that view. sad.gif

To be honest, the days of the high street shoe shop may almost be over, Many clothes stores now carry them, as do the smaller high street ladies brands. They are so cheap to import from China, why wouldn't anyone sell their own (re)branded styles?

Office, and the newer Canadian import ALDO, are the notable exceptions, with Kurt Geiger trying to make headway in the larger shopping centres or Malls.

Having mentioned Priceless being a daughter store to Barratts, I thought I should visit to have a look see for bargains. wink.gif

Having had a look around on-line, I thought I might need to visit this thread to 'fess up to having made a mistake on the style I thought had increased by 400%...... On looking further, I can see it wasn't an error.

Priceless >> boots << at £12 - were £30 (apparently).

Barratts >> boots << at £25 - were £50 (it says) though this thread was created when they were just £12 down from £15. rolleyes.gif

The two style are a little different, and the original Barratts post does mention the 'cross-toe-strap' that only the Barratts version includes...... So far from being a bargain, they've actually doubled in price over 10 months? angry.gif No wonder I don't shop there. rolleyes.gif

Certainly I won't miss them, though I might miss Priceless if that goes too.

I have two. Urgent pair of similar looks, one pair are a replacement for one identical pair that I loved so much I wore out three sets of heel tips, then the sole came off as well so I bought another identical pair. I was walking about 30 kilometers a week in them so after 6 months which would be about 100 k or so they fell apart. The other pair are slightly higher being 4 1/4" heel rather than the 4" heel. They are so comfortable I could wear them all day. The longest non stop walk I did was 8 Kim

Love your style, thanks for sharing

I was walking about 30 kilometers a week in them so after 6 months which would be about 100 k or so they fell apart. The other pair are slightly higher being 4 1/4" heel rather than the 4" heel. They are so comfortable I could wear them all day. The longest non stop walk I did was 8 Kim

Well you're certainly putting most [if not all] of us, to shame with your 'exercise' regime! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

It certainly puts anything I'd done, into your shadow. smile.gif May I ask how [what sot of venue - street/treadmill] and why, so much walking? Yes I am jealous, that only did you make the opportunity for yourself, but plainly made the most of that opportunity. wink.gif

And there's nothing wrong with your taste in footwear either. cool.gif

Well you're certainly putting most [if not all] of us, to shame with your 'exercise' regime! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

It certainly puts anything I'd done, into your shadow. smile.gif May I ask how [what sot of venue - street/treadmill] and why, so much walking? Yes I am jealous, that only did you make the opportunity for yourself, but plainly made the most of that opportunity. wink.gif

And there's nothing wrong with your taste in footwear either. cool.gif

Thanks FF,, I walk in an inner city park where there is a track for runners and walkers. It is easy to measure distances using google earth too. With heeled hiking boots they are particularily comfortable, maybe more comfortable than flats, as I'm sure I don't walk that far in flats. 3 hour lunch breaks are great, but now with only two hours I can't do so much these days