Sign in to follow this  
lovesheels

Why is it ?

Perhaps that's because there are still a very few men who wear heels, and the phenomenon is quite unusual. If we do it on a greater scale, it'll eventually become socially acceptable. It's just like long hair or earrings for men. It also was the case when Coco Chanel introduced trousers for women- I'm sure people were awkward first, but more and more women began to wear pants. It was becoming a commmon occurence and, after some time, a woman in trousers was as "normal" as 2 plus 2 equals 4.

My GF and i had a similar conversation and she says most women could really care less, its men who do it to each other. When i wear my heels most women either don't care or give me a friendly smile. but men on the other hand will 1. not notice 2. give me dirty look 3. stare but make it look like they're not.

But yea we agreed that there are a lot a stupid gender stereo types. I work construction and was talking to another guy and he got accused of being metrosexual because he dresses nice and grooms himself (ie shaved, hair combed, etc) and he was getting shit from his sister in law. And i said whats wrong with looking good once in while.

You cant win.....

If you look good, your either gay or some metrosexual type, if you dont look good then you must be a pig?

Doesnt matter what we do, we will always get it in the neck from somebody so if your gonna get a hard time, you might as well be in something that makes you happy :-D

I work construction and was talking to another guy and he got accused of being metrosexual because he dresses nice and grooms himself (ie shaved, hair combed, etc) and he was getting shit from his sister in law. And i said whats wrong with looking good once in while.

So it's okay for the females to preen and for us, we can only look okay? What is so wrong for us to look MAHvelous too?

My wifes answer to this deep sociological question was "it just is".

I think the answer is as Elegant pointed out, it isn't common enough. Heeling for men would need a figurehead with some major clout. Even David Beckham didn't manage to make it acceptable for men to wear a sarong, and heels for men will take at least as much exposure to become widespread.

I think it's that too many folks see men being less than men as being a problem whereas women empowering themselves and being more masculine is less of an issue. I know guys who are quick to label almost anything as "gay", whether it's being able to cook a gourmet dinner, sew a button, or drive a convertible. If you think about it though, what did women have to go through throughout history? Time was when women couldn't drive cars, join the Army, or even wear pants without people thinking they were strange. Like Shyguy says, "it just is". Not going to change overnight either. I certainly don't plan on sitting on the sidelines waiting to see guys in heels; even in my limited heel wearing I've found most people don't care or don't give me any grief about it. At the very least I figure one of two things might happen. 1. Folks will become more used to seeing it, or 2. Maybe it will encourage some other guys to wear them too.

1. Folks will become more used to seeing it, or 2. Maybe it will encourage some other guys to wear them too.

Hey Dave

Great points made there, but what you will probably find is that both of those will happen at the same time.

As people get used to seeing it, others will also try it.

Yet another point that what you put on your feet, really is not worth kicking up a fuss about to others ha ha ha ha puntastic!

agree, the more men wear heels in public the more it will become acceptable and normal, sadly where I come from have never seen it before!!

need to make history!!8)

Guys,

You do have to define the term heels and what people's perception of them is. Even the 70's disco era platform heels would cause people to point, smirk at you just as much as you wearing a pair of 4" stiletto court shoes. The difference is the gender the heels are designed for and also the connotations drawn by the style of footwear worn. It is a well known fact than many men dabble "in private" in wearing clothing and shoes designed for women. It is part of "the scene" in some cases and is seen as not normal. So wearing anything that is specifically female will label the male wearer. Of course, this does not apply in ceratin circles where it is viewed quite correctly as a fashion statement, but the Jane & John Doe don't think along those lines. But step out in disco heels and because they know they were made for men, no stigma is attached to the wearer. Because the shoes were made for men to wear, you wear them without even a thought or care for what others around you may be thinking.

It does seem to me that we are trying to go from the classic oxford laceup flat to an elegant slender heeled court shoe in one go. It is really too much of a change for J&J Doe to cope with. Happily, we are seeing albeit slowly heeled footwear appearing for men. Yes it is expensive, YSL, Gucci offerings are eyewateringly expensive, but no more than women are prepared to spend on a shoe, and there are others like Archie Eyebrows and there will be more to come.

In order to progress, manufacturers need to see a demand. A major chain shop like Russel & Bromley - high end admittedly but nevertheless high street - have a 2" cuban heeled mens ankle boot available and that is good news. Also there is a trend to make mens shoes more sleek and thankfully lighter. Drawing no doubt from the female styling.

Thing is to track down and wear the sorts of shoes that are the next step and if the whole look is good, then no one laughs, rather they wish they were wearing the same outfit. Get higher chunkier heels seen more regularly and then pushing the boundary to more slender and stylish heels is a much smaller step.

Simon.

In order to progress, manufacturers need to see a demand. A major chain shop like Russel & Bromley - high end admittedly but nevertheless high street - have a 2" cuban heeled mens ankle boot available and that is good news. Also there is a trend to make mens shoes more sleek and thankfully lighter. Drawing no doubt from the female styling.

Simon.

Wise words indeed.

I hope you are keeping well. :o

What I find strange is that in the early 70's (that would be pre-disco) we could wear boots with stacked heels with no problem. Go to any concert during that era and all the rock stars wore them. Just watch the DVD of "Woodstock" and you will see what I mean. I had boots with 2" heels and a pair with 3" and a small platform. Today boots that are very similar to those are sold as women's footwear.

We could even wear platform shoes and sandals then as well. Look at the Kork-Ease brand today. They sold a platform sandal for women AND men in the '70s that is exactly like a style that they sell today for women. I wore them then and I even bought a pair last year.

Go figure!!

What I find strange is that in the early 70's (that would be pre-disco) we could wear boots with stacked heels with no problem. Go to any concert during that era and all the rock stars wore them. Just watch the DVD of "Woodstock" and you will see what I mean. I had boots with 2" heels and a pair with 3" and a small platform. Today boots that are very similar to those are sold as women's footwear.

The 60's were a time of youth testing their new freedoms, borne of financial and moral independance. By the time the 70's had arrived, free thinking and free 'doing' was almost taken for granted. There had never been a time like it (for the general populace) nor will there be such a time again.

Given the French President wearing slightly thicker heels made front page news around the world not long ago, I'd suggest the pendulum is still swinging the wrong way. :wink:

i'm new here but i recently found an org that promotes men in heels ..it's a fund raiser called "Walk a mile in her shoes " and it's designed to combat violence agianst women..

A great cause but it gives us guys an an opportunity to walk in public in heels to raise money for a good cause. I did it recently and found that most people don' even notice that you are in heels.

I'm 6' in bare feet and I was walking in 4" patent leather pumps.. initially I was nervouse but after a while it was fine.

My girlfriend is totally supportive of my desire to wear heels. She thinks it's fun and finds shoes for me. She sees it as harmless and even though quirky she is OK with the whole idea.

I know I'm lucky to have her support me in this way.