Sign in to follow this  
Elegant

My new idea

I've got quite a lot fashion ideas recently, and I wanna share this one with you. As I wrote in another thread, I'm into playing with genders and I thought up something like this:

-a well-fitting three-piece black leather suit with an oxblood red cotton shirt and a tie of the same colour

-2.5" (6cm) block heel oxfords, simmilar to these ones:

sh13_1021.jpg

sh14_1021.jpg

or the loafers you see in the H4M logo, I like them quite a bit, although they could have thicker heels :)

-oxblod red lipstick and nail polish, matching the shirt and tie,

-gloves matching either the shirt or the suit,

-a bag I recently bought- although it was marketed towards women first, (I bought it in a thrift store for an equivalent of 30 cents :P) it looks quite gender- ambiguous.

It's just my imagination and I still don't have lipstick nor nail polish, but I think I could pull such a look off. I'd like to express myself and shock some people who believe in gender binary :-D.

Hey elegant, your images are not showing....

However, it sounds like your idea is pretty far from regular guy mode, especially with lipstick, gloves and handbag. Just sounds more on the side of dressing to look like a woman?

Well, I think that'd be "balancing on the ledge" between masculinity and feminity. I call this "a man dressed as a woman who's dressed as a man" :-D So... No "true en femme mode", fake breasts, wigs etc., just some stereotypically feminine items, but with keeping my identity :).

Your concept sounds like fun... you are not afraid to try something a little different.... male attire is so repressed...and hardly anyone is willing to dress a more daring ..goth ..femme.. lest one get a barrage of dirty looks or gratuitious insulting comments ...

So... one is forced to dress 100 male or 100 female

Well, I think that'd be "balancing on the ledge" between masculinity and feminity. I call this "a man dressed as a woman who's dressed as a man" :-D So... No "true en femme mode", fake breasts, wigs etc., just some stereotypically feminine items, but with keeping my identity :).

What does "binary" about this context? One's femaleness or maleness has nothing to do with what clothing you wear. The makeup and bag idea, that's not "drag." If makeup and a handbag are "feminine," then wouldn't ANYTHING worn by a man that has somehow gotten associated with women over the years be "feminine," including heels?

What does "binary" about this context? One's femaleness or maleness has nothing to do with what clothing you wear.

From "our" point of view- right, I agree. From society's one- unfortunately, still not. There's a double standard that allows men to wear only certain items and allows only women to wear certain items [note the position of "only"]. A good thing to subvert, and that's what I wrote about. What I'm interested in is not trying to pass as female [many people do, but it's not my thing], but blurring the gender boundaries so much that I could be perceived as male or female with an equal chance. I also object to any gender differences that have nothing to do with actual anatomical/ physiological differences between males and females.

Elegant, can you put the photo's back into this thread because without them, this entire thread doesnt make sense now?

These were only some photos I found on the net and posted an URL to let you all know what the shoes looked like. I had no digital camera at that time. Too bad I don't remember how the shoes exactly looked like...

Having come late to the heels4men party I missed the pics so can't comment. Not sure about makeup on men though it was big in the 80's, and made a bit of a comeback sometime more recently.

Yeah, think about some rock stars or Johnny Depp in Tim Burton's movies [almost all of which I adore] and "Pirates of the Carribean". Of course there will be some time before the make-up for men becomes something common, but it'll eventually do. Wearing earrings / body piercing is mainstream now, although it was quite underground a few years ago...

Everyone in movies has makeup on, so that's not a good example. But I do agree that the gender lines are being blurred more and more in a lot of areas. Men are spending more time on their appearance now, I think that the workplace has changed which is expediting this trend. To clarify that, more men are working in office jobs (in the West anyway) instead of manual labour which means they can spend time on their look without it being a waste of time when they get to work and ruin it all. Now they can have a manicure (which seems to be getting more popular I notice) and it won't get messed up digging coal, or laying bricks.

Will makeup follow this trend pattern, or are men not vain enough yet?

Back to the topic, I think heeled Oxfords are a step in the right direction for men to wear heels, as they are historically mens styles and the addition of the heel doesn't really change that. The rest of the outfit you describe sounds sharp, gloves and a bag would blur the gender of the outfit again, although men did wear gloves a few decades ago....

Elegant, we are on the same page 100% equality in fashions is what I push for my self on facebook, people should be able to wear what they wish..I have gone to party's wearing my black Stillwater kilt mens pantyhose and knee high heel boots with a dress jacket and the look I showed the lady's thought the look was goth chic and loved it. Here are some pictures of the boots and the kilt, the kilt pic. was taken at the Comic Con here in San Diego.

From "our" point of view- right, I agree. From society's one- unfortunately, still not. There's a double standard that allows men to wear only certain items and allows only women to wear certain items [note the position of "only"]. A good thing to subvert, and that's what I wrote about. What I'm interested in is not trying to pass as female [many people do, but it's not my thing], but blurring the gender boundaries so much that I could be perceived as male or female with an equal chance. I also object to any gender differences that have nothing to do with actual anatomical/ physiological differences between males and females.

post-988-0-63389500-1308988850_thumb.jpg

post-988-0-49996000-1308988887_thumb.jpg