Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

An interesting UK source

As is so often the case, I came across this supplier's eBay website by chance:   https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/highestheels/m.html?item=254367044844&hash=item3b397514ec%3Ag%3AGOoAAOSwdOxdh0zE&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I know nothing of this 'Highestheels' business (based in Tring) but it does have a wide range of footwear, including some with very high heels (and a refreshing lack of platforms), and many are available in large sizes (above UK10).   I'm not likely to be a customer, but does anyone know anything about the quality and service - it does have good feedback?

14 hours ago, Puffer said:

I know nothing of this 'Highestheels' business (based in Tring) but it does have a wide range of footwear, including some with very high heels (and a refreshing lack of platforms), and many are available in large sizes (above UK10).   I'm not likely to be a customer, but does anyone know anything about the quality and service - it does have good feedback?

Where to get started? Personally, I think anyone who operates as this fella does, is likely a shyster.

"It" has been running for some time, and imports shoes from China and sticks anything from £30-£50 on the price of the imported shoes. Not a problem, he has to make a profit, we assume? Whatever it is, it's not operated as a business. Not declared to Ebay as a business seller. No legally required returns policy, as must be provided by 'registered' retailers. As to the "2 week delivery as shoes are hand made" B/S .... It's two week delivery on his order from China, from companies who dispatch same day to every country around the world - ex-stock.

Other than thinking they are buying off a UK retailer, (and the false sense of security they might enjoy from that), this 'outfit' provides no tangible benefit I can see to UK buyers. What "it" does do, is enjoy 'private seller' benefits from Ebay. Possibly avoid import taxes and tax on profits. The customer gets ..... ripped off - compared to buying direct.

14 hours ago, Puffer said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001381512862.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.74584f97RPGCPw&algo_pvid=682f5a90-aa45-45e7-a2bc-8d680465be5c&algo_expid=682f5a90-aa45-45e7-a2bc-8d680465be5c-7&btsid=2100bb4c16037645972481034ef07b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

This is an expensive "branded" version. (Found to make a point on price.) There were similar styles from this 'brand', when bought from a different brand were half the money.

Same brand .......

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001146120923.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.74584f97RPGCPw&algo_pvid=48149778-e5dc-4934-be63-9cb0e683535c&algo_expid=48149778-e5dc-4934-be63-9cb0e683535c-25&btsid=2100bdf116037649058298395e0f9a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Branded still ...... But much cheaper. Images are identical. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32849898503.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.83c85381MTaBX8

I'm afraid I don't have the inclination to find the source of Ebay's Tring seller beyond a cursory look, but I hope I've made the case for buying direct. Or not buying at all.

Edited by FastFreddy2
Spelling.

Do I detect a mild note of disapproval and caution, Freddy?

I do not challenge your findings and it does look as though the 'business' is little more than a re-seller.   But I suppose that people are happy enough to buy there (at an inflated price) if it minimises or eliminates some shipping/import charges.   And, if comprehensive and truthful, the customer feedback is good.

One seemingly interesting point (although I have not explored it further in detail) is that what appear to be true UK sizes are quoted, and often include 12, 13, 14.   From looking at a number of Chinese suppliers' listings, the claimed size equivalents often appear very dubious - particularly for larger sizes where e.g. a UK11 would normally be 12" yet the Chinese claim that a shoe (say) 0.5" shorter is an 11 - and there is nothing available that is a true 11, regardless of description.   Maybe this seller does have some influence with the factories regarding sizing and/or bespoke footwear?   As always, caveat emptor.

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Do I detect a mild note of disapproval and caution, Freddy?

Mild?

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Maybe this seller does have some influence with the factories regarding sizing and/or bespoke footwear?   As always, caveat emptor.

He's done what I expect I will do, buy some to find out what passes as a UK size (8 in my case) when shipped from China.

The foot lengths the Chinese use, and their relationship to EU sizes bears no comparison. A CN sized shoe when converted means I need an EU43. Typically I take a 41 or a 42. An EU 43 would be like wearing loose wellies on my feet. I suspect shoe width has a part to play in these sizes and wide feet isn't something I need to worry about. It's maybe why I wear a shoe size lower than the indicated CN specification.

What I won't be doing is buying from a UK seller at £70 who is plainly running a business, when I can get an identical item direct for £30. If the £30 version doesn't fit, likely I can move it on for £20-£30. A £70 shoe that doesn't fit, can be moved on for £20-£30 ..... Where in that buying decision does it make any sense at all to buy from Mr Tring? Conversely, if there was a returns policy based on sizing errors and shoes being unused of course, I might already have bought a couple of pairs regardless to the inflated price.  

Again, Freddy, I do not disagree with you - nor do I have any interest in championing the Tring business.   What you say makes sense from the economic perspective if returns etc are difficult or expensive, if not impossible.

However, if you dig a little deeper into the eBay site, you will see that (despite the absence of contact details and a stated returns policy where they should appear) the seller (apparently one 'Paula') does say that 'In the unlikely event that you are not entirely satisfied with your heels when you receive them, we promise to refund you if you return them unused, in the original packaging with 30 days of receipt.'   That would appear to permit a refund simply because the buyer changes his mind.   And there is the usual eBay/PayPal protection too, if needed, if any misdescription or quality issues arise.   

Paula also says this:  'This eBay store started through my own personal love affair with ultra high heels.  With over 20 year's experience in all things stiletto and beyond, I simply adore wearing heels.   Over the last few years, I have partnered with a number of fabulous boutique high heel makers, and have hand sourced a growing number of stunning, uniquely styled heels, many of which I also own and enjoy wearing every day.'   So, there are no claims other than being a re-seller with established contacts, including those able to custom-make if required.

I will leave it to others to consider a purchase, or not.   But any feedback from members would be helpful.