Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

New from ASOS

1 minute ago, Bread Heel said:

I’ve used stiletto-heel-tips.co.uk once before to buy some metal heel tips as a replacement. They were a good company to deal with and I would use them again. 

Tips for stiletto heels are readily available in metal and other (plastic) materials.   But ready-made 'plug-in' tips for wider heels do not seem to be available and it was these that I was referring to, hence the likely need to make them from sheet material.

Despite the reservations I expressed above (1-2 Oct), I decided at the weekend to buy the 'Recite' boots from ASOS, persuaded by an extra discount offered; the net price was £18.00.   They came today and I am reasonably impressed.   I bought them in UK13 (no wide fit offered in the large sizes) and they fit me well - I think the UK12 (which ought to fit me) would be a little too small.   The faux suede is obviously quite soft and accommodating.  The fairly chunky straight heel is exactly 10cm (3.9") high; I would expect that it is a little lower on the smaller sizes as ASOS seems to preserve proportions quite well.   The toe is quite rounded and I would prefer something a little more tapered, both for appearance and because it would probably be a closer fit on my somewhat pointed feet - round toes encourage my feet to spread and move foward so I may need to wear thicker socks.

I have not yet had a chance to wear the boots properly for trials indoors but they seem sturdy, stable and comfortable enough.   I will report further asap with some pics; meanwhile, ASOS link is here:  https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-recite-heeled-ankle-boots-in-black/prd/20831763?colourwayid=60092535&SearchQuery=recite   I see that the discounts have now been removed (price now £30.00) and that there are several favourable reviews, of which at least one is from a man.   See also the reviews of the Enhance sock boots - here again, one is from an enthusiastic male.   Let's hope ASOS  is suitably encouraged to expand its large-sized unisex footwear range.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, Puffer said:

I agree that the moulded plastic heel tips commonly found on so many (women's) shoes are unduly noisy and don't wear too well.   (And I've never found a source of them as replacements either, even by searching trade sources.   Too many variations in size and peg-location, perhaps?   What do cobblers use as replacements, I wonder?  Or are shoes with such worn-out heels usually abandoned?)

2 hours ago, Bread Heel said:

I’ve used stiletto-heel-tips.co.uk once before to buy some metal heel tips as a replacement. They were a good company to deal with and I would use them again. 

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Tips for stiletto heels are readily available in metal and other (plastic) materials.   But ready-made 'plug-in' tips for wider heels do not seem to be available and it was these that I was referring to, hence the likely need to make them from sheet material.

I once bought some attractive block heeled ankle boots with the sort of 'plug-in' replacement heel(pad)s mentioned above, being supplied as spares to the fitted originals.  I returned the boots immediately. The pads were very cheap (and cheap looking) and once the replacement pair had been used too, what then? 

I too have used  https://stiletto-heel-tips.co.uk/index.htm And they are highly recommended. Very, very helpful people.

Good news on the Recite purchase. B)

I was able yesterday evening to wear and field-test the 'Recite' boots more thoroughly.   As previously mentioned, they fit well enough, although I would have expected the size 13s to be a little roomier than they are, even in 'standard' width.   They are sturdy (seem well made) and stable.   Under bootcut jeans, little of the 3.9" block heel is visible (unless you want it to be).

Having decided to keep the boots, I ventured outside for a walk of around half a mile over mostly pavements and gravel.   There were no issues in walking (and no obvious detection by other pedestrians) but the (hollow) block heels with plastic surface are a little noisy (or was it my imagination?) in quiet streets.   However, I did experience some discomfort in the tips of my big toes - presumably my feet were being pushed forward into the otherwise quite roomy rounded toeboxes - and this lasted for some time after I took them off.   Not an uncommon problem; maybe a little padding (e.g. foam) inside the toebox will help.   I do think that a more pointed toe would be more comfortable, as well as (to me) better-looking.

So, they will get further public wearings when circumstances allow, e.g. a supermarket shopping trip or similar, but I hope to limit the toe pressure first.   And I may well take my own advice and add a quieter heel plate, instead of or on top of the existing plastic.

I attach some pics of them being worn at home - sorry about the quality as I had no easy means of taking them, or lighting them.

2100139019_ASOSRecite2.jpg.849617ef9987fc25b9ae7f46428d18e7.jpg833103528_ASOSRecite1.jpg.97fe02a66ef3780b9bc812f443c6a6c7.jpg535097700_ASOSRecite3.jpg.090bc3ecd9d50f4ca25686cdf2c8b3d2.jpg1965264020_ASOSRecite4.jpg.ab5e79545e0b951a0305071d7931c621.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

However, I did experience some discomfort in the tips of my big toes - presumably my feet were being pushed forward into the otherwise quite roomy rounded toeboxes - and this lasted for some time after I took them off.   Not an uncommon problem; maybe a little padding (e.g. foam) inside the toebox will help.   I do think that a more pointed toe would be more comfortable, as well as (to me) better-looking.

While I seldom experience pain or discomfort in wearing a heel or even poorly fitting shoe (no sense - no feeling), I too have a foot shape more pointed than square. I also have toenails tough enough to cut steel, and they make short work of socks/hose and leather. I have often suspected I walk with my big toe curled upward, with it thinking it is in a high heel and my foot expects to be bent.  If I do not keep my big toenail in check, I can ruin a sock everytime I wear one, and soft shoes always 'meet their maker' through my toe wearing a hole in the top of the shoe.

I do not want that to happen to any of my precious heels, so my solution is gel toe-covers.

image.thumb.png.e6b1dd17b709ca20f9d7b6f6a7ff1cce.png

Buy here.....

https://www.superdrug.com/Health/Foot-Care/Foot-Care-Tools-and-Accessories/Superdrug-Toe-Gel-Protector/p/506060

Not for everyone I'm sure, but they work very well for me. B)

22 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

... I also have toenails tough enough to cut steel, and they make short work of socks/hose and leather. ...

I do not want that to happen to any of my precious heels, so my solution is gel toe-covers.

I am reminded of a Desperate Dan story in the 'Dandy' from more than 60 years ago where he melted down his toenail clippings to make drill-bits for rock-boring!   But what would you expect from a man who shaved with a broken bottle and a blowlamp (ouch!)?   But I do not suggest that Freddy (or his toenail) is quite so tough as that!

That gel protector looks interesting, if rather pricey for a single item (although I assume it is re-usable?).   I see there are similar items elsewhere, e.g. eBay, and I will investigate further.   As an experiment, I think a home-made 'sleeve' from foam or bubble wrap is worth trying.   

It is not easy to ascertain the reason for the toe-impact in the Recite boots.   They are not too small in length, but equally not too large, and I think it is a combination of my foot sliding forward (because of the high heel) and meeting the relative hardness of the faux suede upper toebox, which I imagine will give a little with wear.   Perhaps the necessary 'give' will be achieved by wearing a toe protector for a while.

That gel protector looks interesting, if rather pricey for a single item (although I assume it is re-usable?).   I see there are similar items elsewhere, e.g. eBay, and I will investigate further.   As an experiment, I think a home-made 'sleeve' from foam or bubble wrap is worth trying.   

Yes, washable. I have several sets (3 or 4) and had them quite some time. Years, so worth the money.

I think "Savers" do a similar thing without the material cover for £2 a pair. I have some of those too. They seem just as hardy as the Superdrug ones, but it's only a matter of time before I get careless with my big-toe-nail and slice a pair up.

With London and Essex in restricted mode at the moment, this isn't an issue I need to worry about any time soon. I have been very careful for close to 8 full months, but I'm getting a bit fed up with Covid restrictions. We have plenty of PPE, social distancing isn't a secret, and folk understand how to keep safe. If the young want to party, and kill their own family through selfish behaviour, I'm not sure the government should be trying to stop them any longer.  

It is not easy to ascertain the reason for the toe-impact in the Recite boots.   They are not too small in length, but equally not too large, and I think it is a combination of my foot sliding forward (because of the high heel) and meeting the relative hardness of the faux suede upper toebox, which I imagine will give a little with wear.   Perhaps the necessary 'give' will be achieved by wearing a toe protector for a while.

I'm not sure synthetic materials give in the way you hope they might, but great if they do. For my part, the gel stops rubbing, so prevents blistering and any other discomfort I could experience wearing a shoe with an inferred tendency toward torture? If Savers still do the £2 toe gels, (not found on their web site - which is useless) you won't be breaking the bank to try a pair. If I have an unused set, I'm happy to post them to you. (Along with my standard begging letter I often send landed gentry like yourself. M'Lord. ;) :D)

I am, as always, in your debt, Freddy.   You are probably right that the synthetic upper is not so yielding but I will persevere.   A brief trial with a fabricated bubble-wrap 'toe wrap' seemed encouraging but a ready-made one is obviously better.   I know 'Savers' but no branch near me (although I might get my valet to trawl the area).   These from Amazon seem effective and are economical: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BHHCK22/?coliid=I17XEK1YEHSXSM&colid=2L1NFKKCQ245H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it   so may well be included in a forthcoming order.

Meanwhile, for those tempted, here is an ASOS discount open until 8am on  Wednesday: quote BIGVIBE for 20% off everything.   (I hope that doesn't mean that a 5" heel is reduced to 4"!)

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

I know 'Savers' but no branch near me (although I might get my valet to trawl the area). 

If the valet finds a store, they might also discover these in the footcare section ...

1352424081_Gelcapssml.thumb.jpg.526525509475cdbdf8724f5dac6eaf8e.jpg

I would be concerned the linked Amazon (spit) offering looks like 10 off of the smaller toe variants, as none were shown on the large toe.

This choice allows to to try for less money. As before, I'm happy to put one or a pair in the post for you.  

Edited by FastFreddy2

23 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

If the valet finds a store, they might also discover these in the footcare section ...

I would be concerned the linked Amazon (spit) offering looks like 10 off of the smaller toe variants, as none were shown on the large toe.

This choice allows to to try for less money. As before, I'm happy to put one or a pair in the post for you.  

There does seem some doubt about the Amazon ones fitting big toes, although at least one user has done so.   I will look more widely - and thanks for the offer if I can't locate anything.

I reported recently in respect of my ASOS 'Recite' boots (size UK13) that: '... I did experience some discomfort in the tips of my big toes - presumably my feet were being pushed forward into the otherwise quite roomy rounded toeboxes - and this lasted for some time after I took them off.   Not an uncommon problem; maybe a little padding (e.g. foam) inside the toebox will help.   I do think that a more pointed toe would be more comfortable, as well as (to me) better-looking.'

There followed some useful discussion regarding wearing 'gel' toe protectors (caps) to alleviate this, but choice and availability posed a minor problem if I wasn't going to waste time or money.   I then saw these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BXPG2F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which looked promising and were very reasonably priced at £1.79 for 5 pairs.   As I had another item to obtain, I included these as an 'add-on' and they arrived very quickly.   

As the reviews suggest, these gel caps are quite large but, although I'm not a giant, they fit my big toes perfectly.   I put them on both big toes, with socks over, and they certainly seemed to make the boots comfortable during an indoor trial.   This morning, I was able to venture outside thus dressed and I think the problem is solved - a round-trip of about a mile's walk to a shop produced no discomfort and the boots themselves are fine.   I wore bootleg jeans which conceal most of the 4" heel but, if walking quickly, climbing stairs or sitting down, then obviously more of the heel will be revealed than I might wish, so some discretion will be needed when I go out again.   I say 'when' because I now have few qualms about wearing them in public in 'sensible' situations and locations.   In saying that, I fully understand that many other men go public in higher or slimmer heels (and perhaps on more obviously feminine footwear), but, for me, this is a further step in the right direction - literally. 

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

As the reviews suggest, these gel caps are quite large but, although I'm not a giant, they fit my big toes perfectly.   I put them on both big toes, with socks over, and they certainly seemed to make the boots comfortable during an indoor trial.   This morning, I was able to venture outside thus dressed and I think the problem is solved - a round-trip of about a mile's walk to a shop produced no discomfort and the boots themselves are fine.

Good news. B)

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

I wore bootleg jeans which conceal most of the 4" heel but, if walking quickly, climbing stairs or sitting down, then obviously more of the heel will be revealed than I might wish, so some discretion will be needed when I go out again.   I say 'when' because I now have few qualms about wearing them in public in 'sensible' situations and locations.   In saying that, I fully understand that many other men go public in higher or slimmer heels (and perhaps on more obviously feminine footwear), but, for me, this is a further step in the right direction - literally. 

I avoid climbing stairs if there are people who can watch the stairway for the same reason. Plus, getting up a set of stairs in heels provides little in the way of challenge, but getting down .... :rolleyes:  I can think of two well known sequences (one film one video) where the woman stepping down the stairway has a man on either side of her, helping her get down the stairway safely..... 

Edited by FastFreddy2

ASOS has another offer until 8am GMT on Monday 2 November: 25% off shoes and accessories using code: ACCESSORIZE   Some footwear has already been discounted up to 70%; this is in addition.   There may be some exclusions; I haven't checked.

The Recite boots (up to UK13) are currently discounted by 30% to £21.00, so presumably can be bought for £15.75!   And the Cuba knee boots (also up to 13) are £30.00 (instead of £40.00) so presumably £22.50.   Fill yer boots, blokes!

On 10/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, Puffer said:

wore bootleg jeans which conceal most of the 4" heel but, if walking quickly, climbing stairs or sitting down, then obviously more of the heel will be revealed than I might wish, so some discretion will be needed when I go out again.   I say 'when' because I now have few qualms about wearing them in public in 'sensible' situations and locations.   In saying that, I fully understand that many other men go public in higher or slimmer heels (and perhaps on more obviously feminine footwear), but, for me, this is a further step in the right direction - literally. 

I also wear longer boot cut jeans with my heeled boots when out in public.  If someone is looking that hard at my feet, they can figure out that I'm wearing heels.  But I pay little attention so for the most part I likely wouldn't notice even if someone was looking.  Every now and again I believe I have seen someone that noticed my heels, but never a word spoken or a big deal made of it.  One of my very early outings in heels I know a young woman walking toward me definitely noticed and she was smiling at me as I passed.  Given her age and mine, I know the smile wasn't meant that she thought I was some hot guy....lol.  

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 11:57 PM, ronc said:

I also wear longer boot cut jeans with my heeled boots when out in public.  If someone is looking that hard at my feet, they can figure out that I'm wearing heels.  But I pay little attention so for the most part I likely wouldn't notice even if someone was looking.  Every now and again I believe I have seen someone that noticed my heels, but never a word spoken or a big deal made of it. 

Same here. I don't at all mind if someone notices, as long as their realisation goes no further than that.....  A long time ago (ten years possibly) I was sat in a carriage on the underground on my way into London, when I was spotted by a big fella on his way to a rugby match. The heels of my wedge boots were on show because I was sitting. The big fella gave his equally big mate a nudge, and looked at my shoes. His mate wasn't interested, so the nudger lost interest too. 

One of my very early outings in heels I know a young woman walking toward me definitely noticed and she was smiling at me as I passed.  Given her age and mine, I know the smile wasn't meant that she thought I was some hot guy....lol.  

I've had the same experience a several times. Once in a large department store, by one of the assistants (who I later had to speak to). I did have an uncomfortable experience in House of Fraser Lakeside, as I walked past a cosmetics counter (Clarins). Two young girls who worked there, (late teens or very early 20's*) had a mutual giggle when they spotted my footwear. Not very respectful but they were obviously not very worldly. (A kindly way of saying 'immature'.) I think when you've a little experience of the world behind you, there isn't much to shock, and folk with a slightly different dress sense seldom (if ever) stimulates a visible response.  

* "Essex girls". A term of derision, normally associated with over use of cosmetics and lack of education. Sometimes justified?

Edited by FastFreddy2

On 10/30/2020 at 10:20 PM, Puffer said:

ASOS has another offer until 8am GMT on Monday 2 November: 25% off shoes and accessories using code: ACCESSORIZE   Some footwear has already been discounted up to 70%; this is in addition.   There may be some exclusions; I haven't checked.

Hopefully I will remember to look later when I have some time....

Should be a busy day today .... If I don't spend all day writing disfavourable comments online about the impending and unnecessary Lockdown II. :rolleyes: 

9 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

"Essex girls". A term of derision, normally associated with over use of cosmetics and lack of education. Sometimes justified?

An unfortunate stereotype character, but certainly with some truth in it.   One of the principal hallmarks of the 1980s Essex Girl (aka 'the 'Basildon Blonde') was an alleged fondness for white stilettos, thus stigmatising them in the minds of many women who would otherwise have liked to wear them, and some men who liked them on their women.   Nothing wrong with white stilettos, and they do seem to have made (and still make) something of a comeback - on almost anyone except Essex Girls - and if they are good enough for Alexandra Shulman (former Vogue editor) ...

image.png.fe1df6ab7653e3194e3e4393d66b122a.png

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 10:20 PM, Puffer said:

I misunderstood the deadline. Finishing at 8am wasn't expected. :wacko: Ho-hum. :unsure:

On 11/2/2020 at 11:43 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

I misunderstood the deadline. Finishing at 8am wasn't expected. :wacko: Ho-hum. :unsure:

ASOS seems to be offering regular discounts (typically 20% or more) at present, so keep your eyes peeled (and your alarm clock handy) ...

If of interest, ASOS is offering 25 - 30% discounts until 24 Nov on these styles which are available up to UK13:   Phoenix courts; Recite ankle boots; Cuba knee boots.   And there are regular offers of further over-riding discounts too.   Some sizes seem to be selling out however.

I was asked by ASOS to give a review of my recently-bought Recite boots (which have had several satisfactory outings).   I have yet to do so because I saw that no reviews were currently visible online.   I queried this and ASOS says that it is making changes to its review mechanism but it should return shortly.   When last seen, it was apparent that the larger-sized footwear has been well-received, with some buyers clearly being male.   Encouraging all round!

ASOS has released quite a few new heeled styles recently that appear to be ‘not available’ in sizes up to UK13. From past experience this would suggest that they may be available soon. Styles include, ‘Cheryl’ knee boots, ‘Kara’ OTK boots, ‘Exactly’ slouch boots, ‘Kendra’ black patent OTK boots, ‘Eventful’ ruched boots, and ‘Niki’ high heeled mules. Watch this space...