Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

New from ASOS

Turns out it’s not so bad. The sale price takes it below the threshold for free delivery. Factor in the lack of discount codes (no longer valid, or at least during the flash sale), and the overall difference in negligible.

I have used the sale as an excuse to purchase the ‘men’s heeled chelsea boot’ discussed earlier in the thread. I felt the £20 discount was enough to ignore the centre seam that I wasn’t too keen on. I’m gonna test them out at work, and see what sort of reaction they get - if any.

Sounsd good! Since it is officially designated a 'men's' boot you should get a good chance to try out heels safely, as it were. 

20% discount on ASOS this evening (7 - 9pm) only, if of interest:

*Enter code BEQUICK20 at checkout to receive discount. Ends 9pm BST on 24 September 2020. Code can be used multiple times per customer up to a maximum pre-discount spend of £500 per order. Can't be used with other promo codes or on gift vouchers, delivery charges, Premier Delivery or ASOS Marketplace. Only valid on orders delivered to UK and Ireland. Selected marked products excluded from promo.

• Like 1

I decided to buy two pairs of boots from ASOS, using the 20% discount (and potentially some Quidco too).   They arrived on Monday and have been cautiously trialled indoors, on carpet.  

The ‘Enhance’ sock boots are UK13 (no wide available) and the stretchy fabric uppers make them a good fit on my ‘grammar school feet’ (i.e. 11+).   They have a nicely pointed toe and a straight 4.4” heel.   They are comfortable enough and easy to walk in – sturdier and more stable than many heeled boots which can tend to flex too much even if the heels are fairly solid. 

The men’s Chelsea boots are leather and 12 wide.   I like the semi-pointed toe with centre seam, but the heel (exactly 3”) is a little chunkier and lower than I would prefer and the shaft is only just high enough to preclude my ankles showing when sitting – something I dislike when wearing boots.   If anything, they are a little large (11 wide would probably be a better fit) but are comfortable enough and would certainly be acceptable for male street wearing. 

I now have a decision to make.   I like both boots enough not to reject them but they do not really tick enough boxes.   The ‘Enhance’ boots are, alas, just a tad too feminine for street wear – and I see little point in keeping them just for indoor use.   The Chelsea boots, in contrast, are a shade too ‘solid’ and don’t really add much to my modest boot collection.  So, do I return either or both for a refund – or keep them knowing that they will have limited use?    

I am also considering the women’s suede ‘Recite’ boots from ASOS, also available in 13, which have a medium-chunky heel of close to 4” (good!) and a round toe (not so good!) – certainly wearable in public under bootcut jeans and currently on offer at £22.50.  

I would welcome views from others here before I do anything more.

I have tried to attach some pics of both boots with either narrow or bootcut jeans but every attempt is being foiled by suggestions that the file size is too large (which it isn't!).   Can anyone help, please?  

Here are a few pics of ASOS boots - sorry about the poor quality but I have difficulty in taking them.   More to follow, I hope.

image.png.1e1dd94b4d082e30d633bbdbb4d42351.png

1009544452_Enhance2.jpg.39d010bbb84a98b61a9f28a8e6fe957d.jpg867924280_Enhance3.thumb.jpg.319d026efbe9225692368ede8376513a.jpg711889380_ASOScuban1.thumb.jpg.9bea58f8e47403afab5ce92d24d0b293.jpg

• Like 1

If they’re not ticking the right boxes then I’d send them back - almost is not good enough when you could save the money and spend it on something that is good enough. I do like the sound of the Recite boots - a four inch heel and a round toe is right up my street! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

The ‘Enhance’ sock boots are UK13 (no wide available) and the stretchy fabric uppers make them a good fit on my ‘grammar school feet’ (i.e. 11+).   They have a nicely pointed toe and a straight 4.4” heel.   They are comfortable enough and easy to walk in – sturdier and more stable than many heeled boots which can tend to flex too much even if the heels are fairly solid. 

The men’s Chelsea boots are leather and 12 wide.   I like the semi-pointed toe with centre seam, but the heel (exactly 3”) is a little chunkier and lower than I would prefer and the shaft is only just high enough to preclude my ankles showing when sitting – something I dislike when wearing boots.   If anything, they are a little large (11 wide would probably be a better fit) but are comfortable enough and would certainly be acceptable for male street wearing. 

I am also considering the women’s suede ‘Recite’ boots from ASOS, also available in 13, which have a medium-chunky heel of close to 4” (good!) and a round toe (not so good!) – certainly wearable in public under bootcut jeans and currently on offer at £22.50.  

I would welcome views from others here before I do anything more.

I have tried to attach some pics of both boots with either narrow or bootcut jeans but every attempt is being foiled by suggestions that the file size is too large (which it isn't!).   Can anyone help, please?  

For what it's worth, I don't think wearing 'suede' or fabric shoes outside is prudent. I know others do, but I don't and it's not like I don't wear high heel out whenever I get the chance. I am always mindful of getting unwanted attention. A high heel worn by a man is risky enough. The sound, and change in gait are 'tells'. Materials, also (potentially) garner unwanted attention. I would recommend sticking to leather or fake/faux leather. 

I know something of your personal circumstances, and the 4" heels are not worth the trouble they might bring. The Chelsea boots would be acceptable anywhere. However, if you are not comfortable wearing them, they would be a bad purchase. I had a look at the Recite, and while they have a more interesting heel, they appear to be suede or suede. Again, this will tempt attention you probably don't want.

Ankle boots are becoming more and more a staple, and if ASOS are getting into larger sizes, it will only be a matter of time until you get a boot you feel comfortable in, with an adequate heel that looks 'manly' enough to escape criticism. No such animal exists for me though. I like to feel like I'm wearing a heel, which means it's going to be too high to be considered masculine. (It's a cross I have to bear. ;) :D )

• Thanks 1

I agree they are a generous fit. I really like the profile of the boot, but not a fan of the view from the top. Nothing to do with the pointed toe but the sides just seem a bit too baggy - they bulge out unnecessarily. I’m not convinced going down a size will improve on this.

I tried mine on with some skinny jeans and I liked the overall look a lot more. Mine have just enough width at the ankle to fit over the top of the boot.

I think the 3” block heel on the Chelsea boot is probably the upper level of “manly” heel. They do feel like you’re wearing a heel, but obviously not to the same extent as a 5” stiletto.

I also bought the ASOS Cuban heeled western boot, and although the heel is only a slighter lower than the Chelsea boot, the difference in angle and shape means they don’t feel like you’re wearing a heel at all. The shape of the western boot’s sole is more triangular than the Chelsea boot, which has more of a s-shape.

0F7C2F36-09CE-427F-90E0-21D72CD97360.jpeg.471ec7be88a30da6f83e9f8a600bab33.jpeg

A rather odd sole on those boots.

Ive got ankle boots with 3.5” heels and while I am aware of the heel, they also feel rather matter-of-fact to wear. I quite like that though. One can quickly lose any feelings of self consciousness and simply wear high heeled ankle boots as regular footwear - and to me that’s nice

With some reluctance, I have decided to return both pairs of my ASOS boots.   

The sock boots are comfortable and wearable, but just too feminine to wear outside, so they would get little use.   I have no problems with wearing suede (or faux suede), which is not uncommon on men's footwear.   I have at least three men's pairs in suede, including my Casbah Cuban heeled boots:

image.png.198499609e49821dc9fdaa105ead5a77.pngwhich I like very much.   But I agree that faux suede or fabric is not the ideal material for outdoor wear, especially in the wet.

The ASOS Chelsea boots are a little large but still wearable (and perfectly acceptable in public, although my wife would disagree), but the 3" blocky heel is not quite exciting enough to justify them, given the other pairs of Cuban heeled boots I have already.

I am sorely tempted by the Recite boots, which again would be wearable outdside with discretion, especially as there is a double discount today!   But, as Freddy says, I expect that ASOS will have something similar in large sizes ere long - ideally in black leather and with a semi-pointed toe, a reasonably high shaft and a cuban or slimmish block heel of around 3.5".   But I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not keen on the projecting welt on the sole of Bread Heel's western boots - and even less on the 'spur ridge' at the rear.   These are quite typical of 'cowboy' boots but this is not (yet) the Wild West!   I do like the toe shape, however.

On the other hand I have some very tough twenty year old Scarpa mountaineering boots in suede that have seen use all over the world. It depends on the suede and whatever protective treatment you give it.

Edited by Shyheels

2 hours ago, Bread Heel said:

0F7C2F36-09CE-427F-90E0-21D72CD97360.jpeg.471ec7be88a30da6f83e9f8a600bab33.jpeg

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

I'm not keen on the projecting welt on the sole of Bread Heel's western boots - and even less on the 'spur ridge' at the rear.   These are quite typical of 'cowboy' boots but this is not (yet) the Wild West!   I do like the toe shape, however.

It was the 'spur heel' (what a great descriptive term) that stopped me buying. Concerns over a hem getting caught on the heel without me realising....

But I like the toe. That 'projecting welt' protecting the long shapely toe of the boot. They would pass, everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bread Heel said:

The latest ASOS style to be made available up to a UK13

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-phoenix-pointed-high-heeled-court-shoes-in-black-patent/prd/14839453?ctaref=recently+viewed

I don’t think these are as stylish as their Penelope courts, which have a higher and nicer shaped heel. 

Interesting!   It is not too easy to see the Phoenix heel shape and position clearly, but it doesn't look too bad to me, if a little lower than we should prefer.   (A better view of the heel is on the wide-fit version, not available in the largest sizes).   I agree that the Penelope court has a nicely-proportioned heel, but it is positioned a little too far back imho.

There is also this sandal up to UK13; a nice style although the heel position is not as it should be: https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-nova-barely-there-heeled-sandals-in-black-micro/prd/20562607?CTAref=We+Recommend+Carousel_3&featureref1=we+recommend+pers

The ASOS blurb on these shoes is noteworthy (emphasis added) - strongly suggesting that the market is identified as being more than women of normal size: 

'This is ASOS DESIGN – your go-to for all the latest trends, no matter who you are, where you’re from and what you’re up to. Exclusive to ASOS, our universal brand is here for you, and comes in all our fit ranges: ASOS Curve, Tall, Petite and Maternity. Created by us, styled by you.'   

I've always thought highly of ASOS and their range of shoes and boots. I'm glad the Penelopes were spotted by you two.

As ASOS have been mentioned here so frequently, I went and had a look at the current offerings, and picked about 8 styles I'd be very happy to own. Thing is, right now, where to wear?

I have some ASOS ankle boots with a highish block heel in a size 7 I enjoy wearing. (Must be a picture on the forum here of them somewhere.) The heel must be hollow and isn't as quiet as I would like. If ever I wear them enough for them to need reheeling, I will fill the void in the heel, and the heel 'tip' replaced with softer quieter rubber rather than the hard/noisy plastic of the original.

I agree that the moulded plastic heel tips commonly found on so many (women's) shoes are unduly noisy and don't wear too well.   (And I've never found a source of them as replacements either, even by searching trade sources.   Too many variations in size and peg-location, perhaps?   What do cobblers use as replacements, I wonder?  Or are shoes with such worn-out heels usually abandoned?)

I'm probably not suggesting anything new to you, but I have found that one straightforward technique for tip replacement on block heels is to fit a piece of softwood into the hollow heel.   It can be quite easily shaped to be a rough push fit and flush with the underside and will not usually require any adhesive to secure it.   A suitable piece of rubber (possibly salvaged from some otherwise worn-out men's heels, or cut from a sheet of heel material) can then be stuck and/or nailed to the wood and further shaped to the right profile if necessary.   Nailing gives extra security, particularly on any heel less than 25mm or so across; brass gimp pins (about 12mm) are ideal as they will wear with the rubber.

• Like 1

I'm probably not suggesting anything new to you, but I have found that one straightforward technique for tip replacement on block heels is to fit a piece of softwood into the hollow heel.   It can be quite easily shaped to be a rough push fit and flush with the underside and will not usually require any adhesive to secure it.   A suitable piece of rubber (possibly salvaged from some otherwise worn-out men's heels, or cut from a sheet of heel material) can then be stuck and/or nailed to the wood and further shaped to the right profile if necessary.   Nailing gives extra security, particularly on any heel less than 25mm or so across; brass gimp pins (about 12mm) are ideal as they will wear with the rubber.

I've seen the results of such a repair, and it looked quite stout - shall we call it.  With so much metal nailed into the heel, it was never going to get worn out.

I will think about doing this, if ever I wear down the heel of the shoe. B)

7 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I've seen the results of such a repair, and it looked quite stout - shall we call it.  With so much metal nailed into the heel, it was never going to get worn out.

I will think about doing this, if ever I wear down the heel of the shoe. B)

The nails (even if steel) will tend to wear down with the rubber and don't really add to the life of the heel as repaired (or make it noisy).   Their function is essentially to secure the heel pad.   If panel pins are used and sunk slightly into the pad surface (using punch if necessary), they do not 'interfere' with the pad itself, or pose any possible risk to a floor surface.

14 hours ago, Puffer said:

The nails (even if steel) will tend to wear down with the rubber and don't really add to the life of the heel as repaired (or make it noisy).   Their function is essentially to secure the heel pad.   If panel pins are used and sunk slightly into the pad surface (using punch if necessary), they do not 'interfere' with the pad itself, or pose any possible risk to a floor surface.

The nails weren't pins, more the 'hob nail' type.

image.png.1e32560d6a827dded657eb405d2961e8.png

The chap with the modified heels was "Firefox" who hasn't been seen here for some considerable time. (Over a decade I would think.) At the time I wasn't really interested in the modification, because I never thought I would ever be wearing a block heel. Either stilettos, or flats. (So naive!) I am recalling something I saw 12 years ago, with a duration of under 2 seconds during a conversation that wasn't of any interest. At the time I had very very very little experience of wearing a heel around people in daylight. Things are easier/simpler at night, and at the time I still had the embers of a social life.

Not long after that I wrecked a new pair of New Look ankle boots when the heel went down a crack in the pavement. Some time after that (and despite me getting significantly more careful), I still had a heel I liked, go down a metal grate in the pavement outside what could have been a building made in the Victorian era. I have since started covering heels I might use outside, with a couple of layers of heat-shrink to help prevent that, but I seldom wear a stiletto near a pavement these days if I have a choice. I had plans to wear some slightly more outrageous shoes later in the year, but covid has done for that. 

Yes, I remember Firefox from another era.   I recall too this method of 'saving' thicker heels by adding nails such as you show or hardened self-tapping screws.   Not really a repair but more a means of creating a heel surface that will take a lot of punishment - the equivalent of 'Blakeys' on a man's shoe.   The downside is the noise (liked by some) and the potential for damaging some floor coverings.

I have found a proprietary polyurethane material ideal for heel-mending.   Sold in sheets/strips by trade outlets (some on eBay) it can be easily and economically cut to size and glued/nailed as previously suggested.   But hard rubber is equally good and often salvageable from a part-worn heel removed from a (man's) shoe - make do and mend!

One suggestion (but I've not tried it myself) would be to glue the new heel material over an existing heelpad when the latter is new or has had only little wear.   That should save the original heel and could easily add another 4-6mm of heel height without upsetting the shoe's balance, if that helps.

14 hours ago, Puffer said:

One suggestion (but I've not tried it myself) would be to glue the new heel material over an existing heelpad when the latter is new or has had only little wear.   That should save the original heel and could easily add another 4-6mm of heel height without upsetting the shoe's balance, if that helps.

I have in the past asked my local friendly cobbler about repairs to modern heels and soles. He has told me of a rubber 'look-a-like' used on cheaper shoes that won't take the glue he (and you) might use on them. Pins might keep them in place for a while, on a heel I expect, but longterm? And would you want to risk losing part of a heel while out?

Another cobbler replaced some (noisy) hard plastic heel covering with thicker (quieter) "rubber" heel covering at my request. Transformed them, and as a side benefit, I found heel-slides (hard plastic inducing heel skids) stopped too. Shoe repairers can seem expensive when compared to "throwaway" styles, but £15 spent on reheeling can be worthwhile if it keeps some attractive shoes 'on the road'.... B)

On 10/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, Puffer said:

And I've never found a source of them as replacements either

I’ve used stiletto-heel-tips.co.uk once before to buy some metal heel tips as a replacement. They were a good company to deal with and I would use them again.