Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

New from ASOS

33 minutes ago, Oakeetoes said:

Well, I’ve ordered them. Arriving Monday, so I’ll review them next week.

I shall look forwrd to reading your thoughts. I was impressed that they had 4.5" heels - that is very high for a mainstream seller these days, especially to be offered in such large sizes. I wonder what market research went into this? THe boots look quite classy too - something one rarely finds in high heeled boots in large masculine sizes.

The heel looks to be fairly set back, so I’m hoping that they’ll be reasonably easy to walk in at only 4.5”. I wonder if the height increases proportionally - though I doubt it.

I’m still surprised this style of boot has been made available in larger sizes. I’d just been chatting online with an ASOS adviser about another pair of ankle boots that seemed to have been once available in larger sizes, though now out of stock. They finished the chat by asking me if there was anything else they could assist with; I said, yes - more heeled footwear in larger sizes, please!

A little while later, I’m browsing again and there they are!

31 minutes ago, Oakeetoes said:

The heel looks to be fairly set back, so I’m hoping that they’ll be reasonably easy to walk in at only 4.5”. I wonder if the height increases proportionally - though I doubt it.

I’m still surprised this style of boot has been made available in larger sizes. I’d just been chatting online with an ASOS adviser about another pair of ankle boots that seemed to have been once available in larger sizes, though now out of stock. They finished the chat by asking me if there was anything else they could assist with; I said, yes - more heeled footwear in larger sizes, please!

A little while later, I’m browsing again and there they are!

THat is quite a sea change in availability of heels. Those boots you ordered look especially nice. I may have to look for some block heeled black leather knee boots...

Well, this is all very interesting - and encouraging!   I look forward to your 'test report' when the boots arrive.   I wonder however about the leg length - will it be anything much above the knee, regardless of size, on anyone with longish legs?   I think you may find the heel is higher than the 4.5" claimed (if that is the true height on a size 6 or 7) as I have certainly seen some ASOS footwear where the heels do increase with size (e.g. 4.5" on size 10 rather than 4" as advertised).   I agree about the set-back heel - I do wish this 'fashion' would go away!

The large sizes do not (yet) seem to be indexed, so have to be sought on the website.   And ASOS has some other interesting footwear at present, inc the 'Penelope' court with a claimed 5" stiletto (somewhat set-back, alas) - but only to UK9 at present.   In the men's section, there are some rather nice block heeled boots (no heights stated - look close to 3"), one style being in wide fit and up to UK14!   The downside seems to be that some of the recently-seen styles have disapperared (I think) - maybe sold out?   (If so, that might be good news, suggesting strong demand.)

Finally - this discount code valid until 5 October: Get 15% off everything with code: ASOSNEWSUMMER   and there is Quidco of up to 9.24% at present.

7 hours ago, Puffer said:

The large sizes do not (yet) seem to be indexed, so have to be sought on the website.

I’ve found the search function to be somewhat unhelpful. The previous styles that we discussed are still available but won’t show up if searching for larger sizes. The boots I have just purchased were showing up when searching for larger sizes yesterday morning, but by the afternoon they weren’t even showing up in a search when I used their product name.

7 hours ago, Puffer said:

And ASOS has some other interesting footwear at present, inc the 'Penelope' court with a claimed 5" stiletto

This is a very nice style, even with the set back heel. Let’s hope larger sizes are available soon.

I’m glad to say that I knew about the discount code before purchasing, otherwise I would have been a little upset!

I can say this for ASOS, the delivery was quick. They gave an estimated time of arrival as Monday, but they arrived today.

Sadly, it was to the click and collect store that’s close to my work. I figured it would be easier for me to collect on my way home. So, I still won’t be able to get my hands on them until Monday.

1 hour ago, Oakeetoes said:

This style (one that I was enquiring about last week) has now become available in the larger sizes.

12692366-1-blackknit?$XL$&wid=200&fit=co

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-enhance-block-heel-sock-boots-in-black-knit/prd/12692366?colourwayid=16445670&SearchQuery=&cid=4172

Maybe I should have waited?

I think the otk boots won’t disappoint! It really is interesting how suddenly they’re making high heeled boots in larger sizes. I’m especially pleased about ankle boots as they just seem to wearable and sporty.  

• Like 1

I’m hoping that by ordering some, I’m creating a demand. Although it can’t just be me!

I am wondering what I will wear with the OTK boots. They look quite tight round the leg, based on the picture. I guess skinny jeans if I can get the boot over the top, but there’s no way of wearing anything over the top of the boot.

I wear my otk boots with skinny jeans. There’s really no other practical way. Trying to wear jeans over the boots would be simply too much hassle. And probably look bulky and uncomfortable. And what’s the point of having otk boots concealed beneath jeans. 

• Like 1

A very quick report, as I’m at work and have only had time to very quickly try on.

First thoughts; small. I had just been cycling, so maybe that was a contributing factor. As it was a very quick try, not sure it was a length issue or width. I do have narrow feet.

I thought having a size range available to UK13 was “odd”, but now I’m thinking I should have gone up a size. I purchased the UK12 as, with most people, I have one foot larger than the other - left foot is a UK12 (30cm) and right foot is UK11 (29cm).

Right foot was tight; left foot was a squeeze. If ASOS offered exchanges, I’d exchange for a UK13, but they don’t. I have to re-order, which means not being able to use the new customer discount. I’m exploring ways round it - new account, etc.

The shaft length also seemed short - does come a few inches over the knee. Again, need to try properly when not in a rush.

On a plus note, measured the heel and it’s a smidge under 5” (almost 12.5cm). Also, it is set back but not properly vertical, so the tip falls ever so slightly in a bit, which should make them easier to walk in - when I get the chance!

I think if you phone/email them and tell them you need a different size and explain about the discount, they may find a way for you to use it. I've doe things like that in the past - not with Asos, I don't think - but with other companies and they're usually pretty obliging.

If it's a few inches over the knee that qualifies as OTK. They aren't billed as thigh boots. And there's a difference betwen the two.

Cycling shouldn't make a difference with your feet - running would, but cycling shouldn't. 

THey do sound like nice boots!

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Cycling shouldn't make a difference with your feet - running would, but cycling shouldn't.

Think I was just clutching at straws.

Managed a proper try on this afternoon, and initial thoughts were confirmed. Right foot fitted, but left was just a little too tight. If they were real suede, then I’d chance that they’d stretch. The quality of the material is ok, but I think because of the construction of the toe and back of the heel, there’s not much give. It felt as if I might end up distorting the angle of the heel by forcing my foot in.

I couldn’t go far, as I was essentially in a fitting room, but even in a small space they felt comfortable to walk in.

I’ve returned the UK12 and have re-ordered a UK13. Hopefully there won’t be too much difference in the width because they really did fit well around my feet and calves; a really snug fit.

I did email customer services, as recommended, but still waiting on a reply. It seems a change of email was enough to convince them I was a new customer, despite all other details remaining the same.

I should have them by Thursday. 

• Like 1

I'm glad you were able to get your discount on the size 13s. Hopefully the fit will be just as good around the ankle and calf. Thiat one of the thigs I like so much about my black suede otk boots - being custom made the fit is absolutely perfect there. 

Hpoefully you'll get some nice opportunities to wear them. We're coming into autumn...

• Like 1

I'm not too surprised about the fit of the OTK boots.   If I were buying them, I would have gone for the 13, especially as they are not a wide fit.   

The sock boots are very nice; I am tempted!   But although they are available in a 13, not in the wide fit above a 9 - pity!   I would like to wear boots like that in public (e.g. under bootcut jeans) - the (alleged) 4" heel is easy to walk in but I suspect the true height in the largest sizes is nearer 4.5".   The heel is rather too slim and shiny to pass as a man's boot, regardless of its height, however.

I came close to buying the sock boot. I think if they had a slightly more rounded toe, it would have been a done deal. Maybe if customer services come back to me with another discount code, I’ll get them.

I imagine that the heel would be closer to 4.5” in the larger size. I find a 4.5” stiletto quite easy to walk in, so wouldn't have any trouble in these.

They would look great with boot cut jeans. Why not try them? Returns are free, if you really don’t like them. 

Sock boots don’t do it for me. I like proper sturdy leather boots. The styling in those is nice though.

Im with you in the toe shape - l like rounded/almond toes.

I do rather agree about the fabric material, although the claimed stretchiness might be helpful.   The fabric, plus the shiny heels, does have a somewhat overtly feminine look and might attract more attention than the height of the heel.   The pointed toes likewise, although I don't dislike them.   Boots I would like to wear, but would be wary of being out in public. '

They seem to have a sale on most of their stock today. The boots I’ve ordered are now cheaper than they were with the discount. Not happy.

Edited by Oakeetoes