Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

New from ASOS

ASOS has for some time been selling various styles of men's boots with heels.   A few of them have a nicely shaped modest cuban heel but a new introduction is pictured below and can be seen at https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-heeled-chelsea-boots-with-pointed-toe-in-black-leather-with-black-sole/prd/14179943?colourwayid=16597421&SearchQuery=&cid=5774.   It has a leather upper, a sleek pointed toe with a centre seam and a block heel that looks close to 3".   Available in sizes up to UK13 (great!) and currently priced at £65.00 (although discount codes are often available).

Certainly a step in the right direction and I am tempted!   As a style note, I'm not sure if the boots should be worn with rolled-up trousers (as in the pic), which would certainly reveal the boots to everyone.   Is that an ultra-casual look reserved for young men or the real way to go for all?

image.png.99b0a871563cb3e086c4e59a64ae8f2c.png

After our discussion of Cuban heels on the other thread, I did a quick online look and found this same pair. The only thing that puts me off is the seam down the middle, but other than that I like them. They’ve got some other nice styles and some are in the sale, so I could be tempted.

I like the shape of these, but put off by the ‘lightning detail’.

8345050-1-black?$L$&wid=168&fit=constrai

Same here. I’m not a fan of the seam down the middle and I much prefer a rounded or almond toe. But it is nice that heeled ankle boots are now being made and marketed to men, that’s for sure.

Sure is. I quite like heeled ankle boots. I’ve always worn hiking boots and these sorts of chunky/Cuban heeled ankle boots feel like rather more daring versions but without going too far. A nice degree of edginess. 

15 hours ago, Oakeetoes said:

After our discussion of Cuban heels on the other thread, I did a quick online look and found this same pair. The only thing that puts me off is the seam down the middle, but other than that I like them. They’ve got some other nice styles and some are in the sale, so I could be tempted.

I like the shape of these, but put off by the ‘lightning detail’.

8345050-1-black?$L$&wid=168&fit=constrai

I like those; I find the pointed toe and centre seam attractive!   But not so keen on the 'flash'.   I have two pairs of similar boots from Madcap which I often wear (see below).    They have been available up to UK12 (true sizes) but seem now to be in short supply - possibly being discontinued.

image.png.57af686f5e15d67778a7964c96bfa960.pngimage.png.198499609e49821dc9fdaa105ead5a77.png                      

Edited by Puffer

I like very much the fact that there is a selection of heeled ankle boots marketed to men. That said, I am not at all a fan of pointed toes and I dislike the centre seam. I like my boots to be more sleek than that, with cleaner lines. The pointed toe though is a real deal breaker for me, especially the elongated versions. 

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I like very much the fact that there is a selection of heeled ankle boots marketed to men. That said, I am not at all a fan of pointed toes and I dislike the centre seam. I like my boots to be more sleek than that, with cleaner lines. The pointed toe though is a real deal breaker for me, especially the elongated versions. 

Interesting - but our tastes clearly differ!   It is the pointed toe (and indeed the centre seam) that imho produces the 'sleeker' look.   It is easy for a rounded or squarish toe to make a boot borderline clumpy - but I do agree that an almond toe is a good compromise.

I don't care for square or chisel toes either.

I suppose it depends on your view of rounded lines. I see rounded lines as sleek.  Think of Art Deco or Streamline Moderne  - is that styling clumpy?  

I don’t mind a pointed toe, but I do prefer it when the toe mirrors the heel. So a stiletto heel looks best with a pointed toe, and a wider and more rounded heel looks best with a more rounded or almond shaped toe. 

• Like 1

That’s a good point. I like my Italian Heel “Tina” knee boots which have a pointed toe and thin stiletto heel. The do work well in tandem. I’ve a lovely pair of black suede otk boots with a rather thicker stiletto heel that have a more almond toe shape and that works really well. 

I noticed that another recent member had posted some pictures of his stiletto courts from ASOS. Turns out he’s a UK10, so thought I’d have a look at the women’s shoe section to see what size they go up to.

I was pleasantly surprised to find these styles, available up to a UK13!

20831763-1-black?$L$&wid=168&fit=constra

20832397-1-black?$L$&wid=168&fit=constra

https://www.asos.com/women/shoes/heels/cat/?cid=6461&currentpricerange=10-245&nlid=ww|shoes|shop by product&refine=attribute_1046:8222,8232|size:2335&scrollTo=product-20831763

Listed as 9cm/4” heel (although 9cm is closer to 3 1/2”) Just a shame they’re faux suede. 

Yes, very tempting although at the moment I'm saving my pennies for a pair of gorgeous custom knee boots with block heels. Ones to last a lifetime. 

It's worth it in the long run. The boots I have now I'll have for many, many years - they are the kind you re-sole and just keep using. The initial cost is high, but over time they are excellent value and you have the pleasure of having and wearing something really nice. 

Those are interesting finds from ASOS!   But can we be sure that the 11,12, 13 boots are adult sizes?   I assume so, but wonder why they appear at the top of the list.   Strangely, neither the wide-fit black ankle boots nor the brown suedette equivalent (standard or wide) is shown in sizes larger than 10.   I would have thought that someone with a 'big' foot might well need a wider fitting too.   But the supply of some ASOS items does seem to vary, so it is possible that the wide fitting will emerge later.   

I am certainly tempted by the black ankle boots (I quite like suede!), although I would prefer some taper in the toe.   It might be worth asking ASOS if the sizing is correct and whether wide fittings will be introduced.   If not, it might be prudent to go for the size 13.

12 hours ago, Oakeetoes said:

I don’t mind a pointed toe, but I do prefer it when the toe mirrors the heel. So a stiletto heel looks best with a pointed toe, and a wider and more rounded heel looks best with a more rounded or almond shaped toe. 

That does make sense.   The obvious exception imho is with sandals - a very open toe goes well with a (high) stiletto - as do a minimum of thin straps.   To my mind, a small peep-toe never looks elegant, especially with a stiletto.

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

That’s a good point. I like my Italian Heel “Tina” knee boots which have a pointed toe and thin stiletto heel. The do work well in tandem. I’ve a lovely pair of black suede otk boots with a rather thicker stiletto heel that have a more almond toe shape and that works really well. 

Given your earlier comments, I am somewhat surprised that you like Tina's pointed toes, even though they go with the heel!    What I do dislike is a very round toe; it never looks elegant on either a man's or a woman's shoe and, as any shoe with a 'high' heel tends to shorten the apparent length of the foot, a modestly tapered and slightly extended toebox compensates for this.   I think that my cuban-heeled boots would look quite wrong with a round toe.   There is a significant difference between the beetle-crusher and the roach-killer!

I accept the pointed toe of the Tina boot because I really like the boot as a whole. I’d still prefer an almond toe if it were possible. They don’t make them that way so I just have to accept them as they are, and I do like the classic styling overall of the boot.

I am not a fan of the totally rounded toe either, although one of my knee boots has that. I accept it because that particular style is an exact copy of a WWI motorcycle couriers boot. That was just the way they made then and the boot itself is great and saw much use in South America during the rainy season earlier this year.

Otherwise it is almond toes for me. 

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

But can we be sure that the 11,12, 13 boots are adult sizes?   I assume so, but wonder why they appear at the top of the list.

It’s all to do with numerical ordering and the way the numbers are sorted into lists. Also, there is no size 1, so I’m almost certain they’re adult sizes. 

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

I am certainly tempted by the black ankle boots (I quite like suede!), although I would prefer some taper in the toe.

I agree with you about the toe shape. These have a nicer shaped toe, but I’m not keen on the heel shape...

14846744-1-black?$L$&wid=168&fit=constra

13 minutes ago, Oakeetoes said:

It’s all to do with numerical ordering and the way the numbers are sorted into lists. Also, there is no size 1, so I’m almost certain they’re adult sizes. 

I agree with you about the toe shape. These have a nicer shaped toe, but I’m not keen on the heel shape...

14846744-1-black?$L$&wid=168&fit=constra

8 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I agree. Rather naff, like really bad 70s flares

Totally agree with both of you - that flared heel would not suit a male wearer (or anyone else with taste!).

Well...

Seems ASOS are slowly introducing more heels in larger sizes. I was looking through today and found that this style is now available up to UK13 (and I did chat online with an adviser and they are large sizes).

12577026-1-black?$n_480w$&wid=476&fit=co

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-kendra-stiletto-thigh-high-boots-in-black/prd/12577026?colourwayid=16519460&SearchQuery=&cid=6455

Maybe I’m just over-excited at finding this style of boot in a larger size, but I want to buy them. Please, somebody talk some sense into me!

38 minutes ago, Oakeetoes said:

Well...

Seems ASOS are slowly introducing more heels in larger sizes. I was looking through today and found that this style is now available up to UK13 (and I did chat online with an adviser and they are large sizes).

12577026-1-black?$n_480w$&wid=476&fit=co

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-kendra-stiletto-thigh-high-boots-in-black/prd/12577026?colourwayid=16519460&SearchQuery=&cid=6455

Maybe I’m just over-excited at finding this style of boot in a larger size, but I want to buy them. Please, somebody talk some sense into me!

Very nice indeed and for that price, why not? It is quite intriguing that they are offering it those much larger sizes. Hopefully a sign of things to comr.

Those look like quite nice boots.