Sign in to follow this  
Shyheels

Knee Boots For Men

I've always had a fondness for knee and otk boots - with or without heels - but its took me ages before I finally grasped the idea that if I wanted to wear them, I could, regardless of convention. Having made that mental lear - in my fifties! - I've now got several pair of low-heeled riding style boots which I wear a lot during the winter. I wear them over skinny jeans and from all I can see, although guys do not usually wear tall boots, virtually nobody gives it a second thought. In a couple of years of wearing them around everywhere I have only two comments - one from a woman, one from a guy and both were highly complimentary and wanting to know where I got them.

Paired with jeans and a jumper or jacket, it is quite a nice, but unexceptional look. 

It seems to me that knee boots on men is a fashion that really could come back with just a little nudge. Heels might be ambitious, but rekindling the log-lapsed fashion for riding style knee boots for men seems to me to be very attainable. What do you think?  

Edited by Shyheels

I would agree that knee-length boots should be a perfectly acceptable fashion for men, although much will depend on the styling.   A plain 'riding boot' with an almost flat heel should cause no adverse reaction (as Shyheels has found out) but is that what we really want?   To my mind, the boot should be close fitting and worn over skinny (or at least straight/narrow) jeans/trousers - and with an almond or chisel toe to minimise the 'beetle-crusher' look.   A stacked bock or cuban heel (say 2 - 2.5") would look less boring than a minimal flattish heel, but a higher heel could be fine if it wasn't too slim.   I'm not sure about straps or decorations - probably a 'step' too far - and in the UK the same goes for cowboy boots unless they are not too fancy, no more than calf high and worn under jeans; this is not the Wild West!

Something like these, perhaps?

image.png.686da5adaeedc2f906270f5ca4add434.png

I’ve a pair of heavy grey suede otk boots with an almond toe and 3” Cuban heels which I like very much, and look nice. They are pull-ons and slouch a little, but that actually works well. Worn outside of dark skinny jeans they work well, especially with a dark jumper and coat. My only concern with them is wearing suede out in bad weather.

Heels certainly add an element of interest to a pair of boots, a bit of dash. Given some of the changes on society and fashion that are occurring these days, I can certainly see an opening for tall boots for men.

Having adoptee this look I’ve found more advantages that merely style. How nice it is to have warn ankles and calves, and to keep the lower parts of ones trousers clean if mud and slush and rain.