Sign in to follow this  
shyguy

Motorcycles anyone?

Following the recent trend to widen the chat in the Cafe, I wondered how many here ride motorcycles?

I come from a family of motorcyclists but was a bit late getting on a big bike myself. I now ride a 1970's Kawasaki as long as it's not raining. Not ultra fast but a lot of fun still with plenty of torque.

What do you ride?

• Like 1

Big ol' Goldwing for me. 1984 Interstate, 1200cc, 4 cylinder. Didn't get her out last year, too much stuff going on. (Need to do something about that.)

Every year, getting on for almost 20, I've promised myself a new ride. Even priced a couple up ..... [GPz600 always looks good.]

If I'm honest though, I think it's a dream I've given up on, now I've matured. :confused:

Some years ago I spent some time in hospital. One of my fellow patients had gotten himself seriously injured on a motorbike. Not the obvious high speed prang..... He'd been doing about 10mph while turning at a 'T' junction. No other traffic involved.

Front wheel slid from underneath him, and he fell onto the handlebar which pierced his belly. He will never again need loo paper, since he uses a bag instead. :(

Put another spin on how attractive motorcycling might be to me.... It's been more than 6 years since I heard about the incident. Still troubles me. :oops:

I came off a 50cc motorbike at 16 and watched the cars missing my head by inches as they went round the roundabout. Diesel on the road meant I had come off doing the bikes top speed of 35 mph. Rode that till I got my first car then rode infrequently till I got my classic a couple of years ago. The roundabout incident makes me cautious as to what may be on the road ahead...

You definitely need to keep your mind on what you are doing when you ride a motorcycle. Practice braking, shifting, clutching, etc. until it becomes second nature so you can concentrate on the road, the other people (who unfortunately may not be thinking about the task at hand) and the miscellaneous hazards like gravel, potholes, grooves or cracks in the pavement, oil slicks and the such.

But still there's nothing like the freedom of a bike.

Wise words JMC, I'm glad I waited till I was more mature before getting anything again. As a younger man I was more prone to risk taking, plus now I have better road sense and can read other drivers better to gauge what they may be about to do. Still can never be sure so I always leave plenty of room to manoeuvre.

I'm old enough to (barely) remember seeing a Triumph Bonnaville in a shop window. [Might have been what they called a 'Fastback' maybe?]

At the time, costs were vaguely worked out at something like

Well that's weird ....

Usually the ads that Google offers on the site are shoe based. Net-a-Porter, and Heelzsohigh being two memorable (and obvious) advertisers.

One motorcycle thread, and we now have 4 motorcycle training ads greet us instead? If 'hits' dictate the advert stream, this thread must be getting a LOT of attention. :confused:

How clever are these content robots? :oops:

OOPs, spoke too soon. Back to Barratts ....

Google's spiders are picking up on this thread.

I don't think hit rate has anything to do with it although word count might -- as certain keywords are mentioned more often on a site, Google will increase the score for ads pertaining to those keywords.

Google's spiders are picking up on this thread.

I don't think hit rate has anything to do with it although word count might -- as certain keywords are mentioned more often on a site, Google will increase the score for ads pertaining to those keywords.

That rings true. The recent attacks from spammers listed long lines of keywords. :confused:

Yup, I ride. Currently a BMW K1200LT which is a monster of a bike, but it handles. Had lots of all sorts, but no longer appreciate scrunching myself up on a bum in the air race replica. Taking part in the national road rally www.nationalroadrally.co.uk this weekend. My wife will be riding her own machine.

Simon.

OOOH I see they are going to Bletchley Park, so close to home I may have to get over there and admire the machines as they pass by.

OOOH I see they are going to Bletchley Park, so close to home I may have to get over there and admire the machines as they pass by.

And that is fair enough, I personally would be looking at the girls in their tight leather gear, yum yum, not when it is hot and sweaty though, although....... beggars cant be choosers:-o

have a good weekend, I don't think it is forecast for rain.

On 6/12/2009 at 2:17 PM, shyguy said:

Following the recent trend to widen the chat in the Cafe, I wondered how many here ride motorcycles?

I come from a family of motorcyclists but was a bit late getting on a big bike myself. I now ride a 1970's Kawasaki as long as it's not raining. Not ultra fast but a lot of fun still with plenty of torque.

What do you ride?

I own 2 Harleys, My GF and I ride all over the country. My 2019 ultra has over 40,000 miles on it already and I will say. 90% of those miles were while wearing heels of some sort.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:49 AM, John said:

I own 2 Harleys, My GF and I ride all over the country. My 2019 ultra has over 40,000 miles on it already and I will say. 90% of those miles were while wearing heels of some sort.

1758596256_20190601_174508RESIZE.thumb.jpg.d758f30c468d66ce1b6625db2c5b58a6.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:57 AM, Shyheels said:

I'm a cyclist - but I can appreciate a Harley!

I always move over and respect you guys. 

• Like 1

I always got on well with Harley Riders! 

I think there is a shared appreciation of the freedom of the open road.

Alas heeled boots don't look nearly as cool on a bicycle as they do on a Harley! 

America is a great place for road trips and I can imagine there would be no better way to see the country than the way you're doing it

Edited by Shyheels