Sign in to follow this  
Tech

Model RC Helicoptors?

Hey Guys

Leapfrogging on what Fastfreddie said, heres a subject I know absolutely NOTHING about, but really want to get into, and have wanted to do since as far back as I can remember...

So, as a wildcard, and taking a longshot, does anybody know anything at all about radio controlled helicopters or RC flying in the slightest?

Where the hell do I start?

Start with lots of cash if you want to fly RC Helicopters. I have known two people try it and wanted to do the same myself, they both told me that the higher you get with the copter the more it costs when you crash (both emphasised "WHEN").

The one who related it best to me described it as week one, one foot up, move slightly back and forth, left and right, confusion on the sticks, crash,

A couple of years ago, one of my younger brothers got into RC Helo flying. By way of getting some experience, he bought a DOS based Flight Sim that used a similar controller, to the one you'd use in real flight. I'll confirm straightaway, I couldn't fly the sim without crash-landing, so in real world terms I've got no chance with anything moving..... :-(

He too went down shyguys "loads o'money" route, but with a body repair shop, he could afford it..... ;-) When he got one flying though, he found the local clubs (with their own authorised flying zone) had membership waiting lists that ran into years ..... :-(

Now some years later, things are a bit different. Miniaturisation means we can fly fully functioning RC Helo's in our front rooms, and some are all but indestructable. B)

I had quite a long chat with an enthusiast only a couple of months ago (customer). I've included some links that may be of interest.

IIRC there is a

From a fellow I know who is into this himself -- try your first several flights inside a large building -- something like a gymnasium, large garage, barn or the like. Winds play absolute havoc on a small helicopter -- the smallest puff of breeze from any direction can upset your bird and send it crashing into the ground. Inside, you minimize the effect of air currents and you can concentrate more on learning the controls. (Obviously you want to fly an electric powered chopper indoors.)

Outside, pick only the calmest days to fly.

Also, the birds with counter-rotating rotors are somewhat easier to control because they are more stable in the air.

now this is something that I have had a quick look from time to time and need to admit that I dont know much about!!

however am very interested in, so wil read here with lots of interests, the other problem with RC, is that I already have way too many hobbies!!

so some like this one will need to stay on the wish list for just a wee bit longer!!

some of my hobbies have cost a small fortune, that I could of bought another house like the one that I have!!!;-) madness!!!

Sounds familiar, too many hobbies not enough money lol. Would love to try my hand at RC flight and once bought a cheap copter from Ebay. It was polystyrene body with plastic chassis parts. It was one channel control :confused: you used the speed of the rotor to control the turn of the body to "steer" it. The short of it was the second flight attempt saw it end up getting caught in a tree and then falling to earht and breaking off the "unbreakable" plastic landing feet. It's been in the loft for two years now.

It was polystyrene body with plastic chassis parts. It was one channel control :( you used the speed of the rotor to control the turn of the body to "steer" it.

I got one for Christmas 2007. Helo charged off the controller (maybe?) I still have mine. :oops: Trimming it was quite hard IIRC.

I nearly got a second, larger one, for Christmas 2008 ..... But it had limited functionality [maybe 2 channel] despite claims to the contrary on the box, so it got returned.

Thinking about it, I'm still owed a pressie for 2008 .... :confused: [so much for "better to give than to receive" eh? :(]

P.S.

Some useful links for the Blade MicroCX ....

http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/blade-mcx-cant-really-fault-it-t37018.html

This sells for

Edited by FastFreddy2
Links added.

Tech,

Find a club and join it. They will give you all the advice and support you could ever need and more importantly they will have an experienced tutor who can be with you on a buddy box to help. Start here to find you nearest club.

Don't buy until you go this far, expecially as you will need the insurance from the BMFA and that is part of your club membership.

http://www.flyingsites.co.uk/clubs/index.htm

Simon.

Nice advice HFMROK. I'd never have given the insurance a second fault, and joining a club for the help and support is sound advice.