Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Eurovision 2019

As some (old hands) here might remember, one of the highlights of my year, is the Eurovision Song Contest.

It's a bit of a 'camp fest' this year, with single sex relationships being promoted. Not sure why. Promoting the 'scene' in Tel Aviv maybe, for tourism?

I watched bits from all 17 of the first round Semi-Finals. "Dire" doesn't quite describe how awful they were. While one or two of the costumes were 'entertaining' in a goth/fetish way, the songs and presentations were awful. Of the 17 there was one stand out song,  and maybe two also-rans. Australia is proving to be popular, but that too has a chorus/hook that was stolen from Kate Bush.  I should look at the 10 who got through, but I've no interest.

Thursday will see the second round of the Semi-Finals. I have my fingers crossed there will be something more interesting there.

The original 6 or 7 countries that took part in the competition get an automatic 'pass' to the final, which includes the UK. It shouldn't. The singer can sing, but the song is very very poor, and the singer inanimate when the dirge is sung. I would pay NOT to have to listen. I don't know why the BBC is so keen to give the voting public a small quantity of songs, usually written by people no-one has heard of, and sung by adequate singers (also unheard of) with no stage presence at all.  Back in the days we used to win the competition, we employed singers who were regularly in the charts (as do other competitors still do). We'd use songs that would get into the charts, because the songs could stand by themselves.  I've read several times, the UK can't afford to win, it can't afford to host the competition. Maybe it's true? So we go out to lose....

Just finished watching the Second Semi-Final, and thank goodness, there are some great songs and performances.

Looking forward to Saturday. France looks good, so can't wait!!