Sign in to follow this  
euchrid

Welcome to Marwen

The reviews were terrible and I understand it has really tanked at the box office. It had a $60 milllion budget too! How anyone could spend that kind of money producing an essentially documentary movie like that is beyond me. It’s not like it’s a globetrotting visually gobsmacking David Attenborough series. So, no, I won’t be seeing it.

Interestingly, though, I did read where a lot of the poor reviews from the audiences were because the guy wore heels - the public didn’t like it.

2 hours ago, euchrid said:

Anyone going to see this movie?

it's a true story, based on a bloke who wore high heels. True!

https://www.bustle.com/p/welcome-to-marwen-is-a-true-story-that-will-break-your-heart-then-slowly-put-it-back-together-15520577

I didn't know that....

The film looks good. If I wasn't such a skinflint .... :huh:

Finally caught up with this movie on my TV box.

God, it was dreadful.  A CGI crapfest.  Toy Story meets Suckerpunch with a shoe fetish subplot.

No wonder it tanked at the box office.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:40 AM, euchrid said:

Finally caught up with this movie on my TV box.

God, it was dreadful.  A CGI crapfest.  Toy Story meets Suckerpunch with a shoe fetish subplot.

No wonder it tanked at the box office.

I've recently signed up to Netflix, and this film is in the catalogue. I've had a sneak peek, and I know what you mean about Toy Story. Not sure why it was done like that that, but hey-ho. I got the bit where he visits a neighbour to move furniture and she talks about her brother liking high heels (6 inches or higher) and liking lingerie.

I'm aware he had mental health issues post war, and the models got him past some of the horrors he witnessed. I think as low as my expectations are, I am looking forward to watching. Probably quite soon. 

Weeeelllll, I finally got around to watching the film.

I would say, it doesn't make great entertainment, especially if you had paid to see the film in a cinema. In many respects, the storyline would probably have played better as a documentary. I didn't mind the treatment of the story that featured quasi-plastic characters imitating their model counterparts. In fact I would say it helped me to understand how the 'stories' played out. (In Mark's head.)

In terms of portraying the struggle of a severely injured person to get into a kind of second life, it was all quite disturbing. For me, not least because I too enjoy wearing a heel from time to time, and I know there are many other men out there who enjoy the same experience. Yes, I think disturbing is the right word.

What the film didn't do, is go anyway to explain the how's and why's of why he (and we) like to wear a heel nor why there might be anger by anyone about that liking. Not the purpose of the film I suppose, which was more about how someone dealt with life changing injuries and the PTSD that followed. 

Precis of his story care of The Guardian >> click <<

I keep thinking "sad" horrific" "challenge met" ..... But overall the one word that describes the story ..... Disturbing.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:45 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

, the storyline would probably have played better as a documentary.

It was originally a documentary - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391092/

As often happens, and without thinking about it too much, Hollywood decided it would make a great family-friendly movie :rolleyes:

It might possibly have worked if they'd excised the high heel fetishism.  A large number of the negative reviews sight that aspect and the 'sex barbies' as the reason they walked out early, dragging their confused kids with them. 

I wonder what would have happened if the trailers had included the heel-wearing aspect :lol:

On 1/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, euchrid said:

It was originally a documentary - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391092/

As often happens, and without thinking about it too much, Hollywood decided it would make a great family-friendly movie :rolleyes:

It might possibly have worked if they'd excised the high heel fetishism.  A large number of the negative reviews sight that aspect and the 'sex barbies' as the reason they walked out early, dragging their confused kids with them. 

I wonder what would have happened if the trailers had included the heel-wearing aspect :lol:

I watched the  trailer for the documentary, and heard the struggle he still has with speech. I'm was disappointed to read in the Guardian story, two of his assailants only got probation. They didn't quite kill him, but gave it a good go. Probation? 

Since the "Welcome" version wasn't a 'feel-good' movie, and certainly wasn't suitable for children given the storyline and sexualisation of the female models (dames), I wonder who the target market might have been perceived as? While many of us here would say 'men into wearing high heels' is a larger group than most of us will ever be aware, I very much doubt that particular group could carry the cost of the film, much less make it commercially viable. Maybe one of the producers needed a tax loss