Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

On 10/10/2016 at 10:59 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

On balance, my court shoe wearing plans were pretty much scuppered due to light evening (expected) and heavy presence of tourists (less expected). I'm not looking to give up, and am currently looking for 'an opportunity'. I have advised Mrs Freddy I want to go to a fetish do (a type of event we haven't been to for nearly 20 years) and she has not been resistant. I had in mind the yearly Rubber Ball, but early enquiries on Google suggest it's no longer held. I wonder if anyone could advise?

The alternative is the Torture Garden gigs. There is a number of these on the immediate horizon, the better know of which looks to be sold out already. The November the 5th gig still has tickets available, and that could be an option for court shoes.

Well, answers in abundance  ..... :rolleyes: :D

At the moment, it rather looks like one of the Torture Garden gigs it is. Without a visit to a fetish market or fetish outlet (several in Soho) these things must be too underground. Previously (30 years ago) my mode of dress ensured entry. Am a bit concerned my intended outfit (andro) will be outlandish enough to walk through. The club does say "men in leggings is not suitable attire for entry" or runs something like it. Doubtless I will have to ask prior to spending money on tickets. Mrs Freddy won't be a problem ... Especially with what is becoming her taste for coloured highlights in her hair....

The gig didn't happen, for me at least. The Freddies spent the Christmas period bunged up with the 'cold' and cough doing the rounds. (Well if it's good enough for the Queen .....)

Bit of a shame as I'd put no small amount of effort into ensuring I had a choice of two (androgynous) outfits, one of which involved a top bought direct from China that proved to have an ignorable fault... I hadn't decided on footwear, but red patent courts represented 50% of the choices shortlisted. Am about to look around for a Plan B. Not that the impending (Arctic) weather, will lend itself to trotting around in heels, in what looks like quite a skimpy outfit. 

Was in London's West End yesterday. Really, only wanted to visit Selfridges, but left it a bit late during the sale period. Not much left in my shoe size, but it was the first opportunity with the two of us anything near fit enough to join the rest of the world. Also did House of Fraser, and John Lewis, but no purchases made.  I tried on a pair of shoes in John Lewis with no one paying any notice. I also took one of my high heeled boots off in HoF (to adjust my hose socks) which didn't produce any looks I was aware of either. People too busy with their own lives perhaps?

There were plenty of people about, with the stores fairly busy. Took me an unusually long time to get parked, with the significant increase in "Residential Parking" around the shopping areas exacerbating the problem. Maybe I need to find some better places South of Oxford Street?

Looks like I will be returning sometime soon. I have a second pair of the Tokologo to go back. These are the stylist boots bought at half-price (£40 down from £80) with toe-boxes so hard they are uncomfortable. A bit like wearing steel-toe-capped-safety-shoes. Shame, as they are a lovely shape, and good walking height. 

Didn't announce it (never gets a response) but went to Lakeside today. Really, only went there to revisit Primarni, to buy some more hose. I'd bought a single packet of 'ankle highs' some 6 weeks ago, thinking that if they were suitable I could get more at other stores. (I've tried to replace my 2009 purchases many many times previously with no great success.) To my surprise, I made the 'test' pair work. Mostly because I can use them as knee-highs and they stay on my calves all day too. 

I'd already tried several other stores, with no success. This usually means new stock, or old stock. The only place I'd seen them ever, was at Lakeside, so a return journey was made.

On arrival, I made a glass purchase within 10 minutes. This something of a record, cutting some 2 hours off my previous/usual purchasing cycle-time. I bought two of these:

58e18b4c82427_ReidelCoca-colaglass.jpg.b300bced752ad9656a0e67f73d41098e.jpg

Reidel Coca-cola glasses.

I have "a thing" for very thin walled, thin based (aka fine glass) highball glasses. Practically impossible to find, though stemless wine glasses are becoming increasingly popular.

Once purchased, they were stored back in the car, before we resumed browsing. Usually £25 a pair, they were way too valuable to have clonking around in a bag.... 

After an hour of browsing en route, we arrived at Primarni. It took some time to find the hose section, and our search wasn't easily rewarded. The ankle/knee sock section was full of stock, but not the right stock for me. We began digging around, and found some of the right item 'hidden' behind the newer/padded/more expensive version of the ankle sock. The packaging being all but identical, it would be easy to understand how this older stock could be hidden by an assistant not fully aware of what they had done. There were 9 packs left (2 pairs in each pack) and I bought all 9 packs. They will likely last me until the end of my high heeling days. ;) B)

While in the store, I got to watch a girl walk around who was wearing red patent high heel d'Orsay shoes. It was quite a distraction. 

58e2564312e40_LakesideApril2017.thumb.jpg.1079b106f43f47240bf8fa25284a67e2.jpg

The mall was busy despite the sunshine and warmer temperatures outside. We had a late lunch at Pret, and stayed at Lakeside until the place closed at 5pm. We did a significant amount of walking, getting into every store we saw of interest. While no shoes were bought or tried on, even Mrs Freddy remarked it was the "wrong time of year" for me and shoe shopping. To my surprise, women's fashion shops had 'mid-season sales' going already. Mrs Freddy assured me that while 30% discounts might seem premature, many people will have already spent most of their Summer clothing budget. I will spend my Summer budget, in Autumn.

Edited by FastFreddy2
Second image added.

Warmer times are here in the UK.

We have 'time shifted' to allow us more evening light too, so evenings seem longer. In fact, we are all busy an hour earlier in the day than we were in winter. Some warmer weather has coincidentally arrived with this time change, making Spring seem more like Summer. We are told this coming Sunday, temperatures will be up in the 20's C.

Today (Thursday) won't be quite as warm, but it will be one of the warmest days we've had here, this year so far. It might tempt me to have a walk along the river Thames later, if I get my act together early enough. The advantage of being in London, is the residual heat from the buildings there, as it helps keep these Spring days warmer in the evening. While shoe shopping is coming to an end (open sandals are the usual fare now) wearing shoes or boots out, becomes more attractive as inclement weather withdraws. 

After so long hibernating, I hope I have the energy to take advantage of the improved climate. ;) :D

10 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Warmer times are here in the UK.

We have 'time shifted' to allow us more evening light too, so evenings seem longer. In fact, we are all busy an hour earlier in the day than we were in winter. Some warmer weather has coincidentally arrived with this time change, making Spring seem more like Summer. We are told this coming Sunday, temperatures will be up in the 20's C.

Today (Thursday) won't be quite as warm, but it will be one of the warmest days we've had here, this year so far. It might tempt me to have a walk along the river Thames later, if I get my act together early enough. The advantage of being in London, is the residual heat from the buildings there, as it helps keep these Spring days warmer in the evening. While shoe shopping is coming to an end (open sandals are the usual fare now) wearing shoes or boots out, becomes more attractive as inclement weather withdraws. 

After so long hibernating, I hope I have the energy to take advantage of the improved climate. ;) :D

Yes, indeed.   I've spent three days last week and another three this week up on scaffolding above a busy street in a bustling seaside town.   No, not taking a pervy view of passing women (well, only occasionally) but renovating a first-floor bay window.   The weather has been kind: warm (with several hours of high teens temperature), little wind and only a few spots of rain on one of the days.   Although I rarely started work before 9am, I was ready to knock off by 6pm although the light and warmth would have been good for another hour's work at least.

It was noticeable that, as soon as the first really warm day dawned (30 March), at least 25% of the passers-by of both sexes and all ages were in their summer outfits, with shorts or short skirts and sandals predominating.   And the trend has continued despite a few dips in temperature; I'm guessing that many would have put the winter stuff away and are sticking to the summer gear now, almost regardless of the weather.   Let's hope that Easter does not cause a rethink.

The other, and less pleasant, experience from 'up aloft' has been the level of noise generated by Joe Public throughout the day.   There seems to be a constant supply of youth of both sexes wandering up and down the street shouting at one another (and often far from politely) and a fair number of so-called adults doing much the same.   And then there are the passing cars with windows open and loud (alleged) music blasting forth.   I suppose the noise carries up to me more than it does to people at ground level but it ain't pleasant - and will surely get worse now that schools are on holiday.   I think I'll give next week a miss ...  

Some of the noise will be from school children who are enjoying a couple of weeks holiday over the Easter period.

The evening weather wasn't as warm as I'd hoped last night, and foolishly, I had not taken a jacket or any sort with me. After a fairly disappointing meal at Prezzo (food was okay but service was hopeless) the walk along the Thames was postponed until at least the weekend.

Today looks to be another sunny day though. B) 

Although it was a late decision to go, London was visited at the weekend.

Unusually, I struggled to get to a place where I could expect free parking to be available, thanks to warmer weather stimulating a raft of roadworks/road closures around central London. When parked, I had the car quite literally next to a tourist having an afternoon nap on a raised section high and wide enough to be considered a bench, outside the building I'd parked next to. While I had heeled shoes on, they weren't the more obvious, and higher blocked heeled boots I had expected to wear through the afternoon. :(  

We found a shop with sandwiches we liked, and took our purchases off to a pleasant recreational area close by. Lovely.

58ecadc7a3123_Park1.jpg.5a8e5e876edd1124e7f259cd65daa409.jpg

Sadly, my bladder demanded some attention, so our stay was short when our food and drink was consumed.

Once suitably relieved, we strolled around the river crossing bridges, enjoying the view but not so much the rising breeze while on the bridges.

At the far end of our walk we crossed the Westminster Bridge, which has been in the news recently for tragic reasons. We thought we should visit, just to show, well, solidarity? 

There were floral tributes on all the light pillars.

58ecafccaf5ec_Floraltributes.jpg.6309c6e2f8b87bc42e96da25ec1ac05d.jpg

All quite sad, but has produced a feeling that has encouraged a stronger national identity and community spirit, typical of the UK when adversity strikes. On balance, we'd all prefer the incident hadn't happened though.

The late hour was indicated by early signs of evening wear ...

58ecb29b4d4e4_Floralplaysuit.jpg.d5564fa282bb31903091c1b69afcd078.jpg

With the air cooling, we picked up the pace and walked along the Embankment, stopping briefly to take in the Battle of Britain memorial, which we didn't know existed. Quite poignant given what we'd seen (and felt) while on Westminster Bridge.  

Back at the car, now some time later, we began our journey home. Almost immediately a 'gaggle' of girls into very high wedge platforms appeared, and I was able to get a blurry snap off while stuck at traffic lights (for a very long time!)

Wedges.jpg.cd48f20050b14d4a26826a18c6454315.jpg

Something to look forward to then? ;)  :) Warm weather, long legs and heels. 'Playsuits' look to be very popular this year. :huh: 

Edited by FastFreddy2

10 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Although it was a late decision to go, London was visited at the weekend.

Unusually, I struggled to get to a place where I could expect free parking to be available, thanks to warmer weather stimulating a raft of roadworks/road closures around central London.

Well, my influence with TfL clearly worked then.   The additional closures and works were put in place to discourage Freddy (and others) who prefer to use the car to travel into London.   Travelcard, anyone? :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Well, my influence with TfL clearly worked then.   The additional closures and works were put in place to discourage Freddy (and others) who prefer to use the car to travel into London.   Travelcard, anyone? :rolleyes: 

There were moments when I almost felt beaten. Especially at times when for example, Mr Google Maps was telling me to drive forward between large red lollipops with white stripes, which were clearly indicating I couldn't. The journey home confirmed my 'righteous' decision though. Quick, comfortable and cheap. ;)

Another trip to the same location ought to be easier next time, as I now know the right name to put into Maps, rather than the road that is closed on a Sunday from time to time..... :angry: No point in getting older if you don't keep learning. ;) :D

I will concede, TfL do their best to make travelling into London, as unpleasant for the motorist as they can. Each year, new hurdles. In a couples of years, they might just be too high for me to jump.... Best  enjoy it while I can then. :P

Edited by FastFreddy2

There is a programme on TV tonight at 9pm about would-be London taxi drivers doing 'The Knowledge'.   If you can spare a few years for intensive activity, you might wish to join them, Freddy!

More seriously, the potential restrictions in London (and elsewhere) on using diesel cars are a matter of much concern - in effect, retrospective legislation that will affect the many thousands who bought diesels in good faith.   And broadening the congestion charge zone to the area bounded by the North and South Circular Roads is a harsh and unduly restrictive measure that will affect millions daily.   Although I rarely have need or desire to drive into central London, or even beyond the 'Circulars', I really don't see why I can't continue to do so without putting my hand deeply into my pocket.

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

More seriously, the potential restrictions in London (and elsewhere) on using diesel cars are a matter of much concern - in effect, retrospective legislation that will affect the many thousands who bought diesels in good faith.   And broadening the congestion charge zone to the area bounded by the North and South Circular Roads is a harsh and unduly restrictive measure that will affect millions daily.   Although I rarely have need or desire to drive into central London, or even beyond the 'Circulars', I really don't see why I can't continue to do so without putting my hand deeply into my pocket.

My vehicle doesn't qualify for the new T(oxin) tax, according to the online checker. I almost never visit London inside the charging times and if I did, I'd be taking a Blue Badge holder with me, so no charges anyway. (Not at the moment at least.) I'm a recreational visitor these days, not a business or commercial visitor. While the current Mayor has concerns over NOx emissions, many people like me are aware the biggest culprits for this are London buses. One of the best known PR statistics for support of a 'T' tax, is the pollution rating of Oxford Street. Well anyone who has actually been there, (or taken the trouble to use Google's Streetmaps for that roadway) will know it's almost only used by London buses and black cabs during the day. 

58ee014d4a713_OxfordStreet.thumb.jpg.40ebd6142e066cf4a135bb86e13e3230.jpg

During the summer months Mrs Freddy is reluctant to visit because she feels ill with all the fumes (and noise) from these buses (and taxis).

The 'T' tax is just that, a visitors tax, since the underlying cause of the problem won't be changing, until TfL introduces electric buses or overhead power supplies for something that looks like a tram system.

As to The Knowledge .... Google Maps (when you put in the right destination), provide you with the quickest route that includes up-to-the-minute traffic speeds and notation on traffic jams with alternative routes plugged in, on-the-fly. I don't like using phone 'apps', but that one has been a godsend on occasion. I won't be surprised if there are cabbies complaining during that TV programme that The Knowledge is now superfluous given modern technology. 

The Knowledge is in no way superfluous even in this age of GPS and Google. There is no data base that is even close to containing all the detailed London data - let alone real-time data - that goes with The Knowledge.  I happen to know something - actually quite a bit - about this. 

It should be cherished and protected - not sacrificed on the altar of Uber.

9 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

It should be cherished and protected - not sacrificed on the altar of Uber.

I'm no Uber fan, but there's no 'special knowledge' of any travel route, that can't be incorporated into a program. Even when I put in the (wrong) road as my destination, Google told me the road was closed on that day. I didn't believe it, since that road hasn't been closed, any time I've used it during 'quite some time'. (Over 30 -ahemm- years.) Well, when I got there .... Closed.

'Cherished and protected' will be okay, for those who wish to spend years keeping it but 20 or 30 years from now, it'll be something from the past

Theoretically, yes. But in practice the sort of Knowledge a black cab driver possesses would never be plugged into a GPS.  Old slang for locations in London, stage doors as oppposed to front doors at theatres, etc. Nobody will ever plug that sort of stuff in - and it is practical. And while your Uber driver is plugging in the post code and waiting for his GPS to find a route, the cabbie is already on his way - a convenience not only to the passenger but to the surrounding traffic as well. 

While the past week has been largely dry, the temperature has plummeted, and the wind has a 'bite' to it. It may even be, over the next couple of days the UK will see ground frost! Overall temperatures have dropped 10 degrees C, and over the next two nights it is expected to drop a further ten from a week ago. Two potential attempts I expected to make during the week for a walk out in heels, didn't even get to the starting blocks because by 6pm, it was simply too cold (and windy) to bother.

Me needing darkness to 'flounce' around in heels close to home, currently means waiting until past 8pm. Not a problem in warmer weather, but one too many challenges when clothing suitable for Arctic walks are also required. Hopefully, this time next week ..... :rolleyes:   

I wish .....

58f9d877ad7e6_Shinyotkboots.thumb.jpg.cac5a38079414b27c78018a1ab5c3b46.jpg

Temperature level is getting worse. When I mentioned "Arctic", I had no idea how prophetic I was. Apparently we are currently enjoying weather pulled down from the Arctic by the Atlantic jet-stream. Lucky us! Better weather might be on the way for May. I look forward to it. ;) 

40 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I wish .....

58f9d877ad7e6_Shinyotkboots.thumb.jpg.cac5a38079414b27c78018a1ab5c3b46.jpg

Temperature level is getting worse. When I mentioned "Arctic", I had no idea how prophetic I was. Apparently we are currently enjoying weather pulled down from the Arctic by the Atlantic jet-stream. Lucky us! Better weather might be on the way for May. I look forward to it. ;) 

As you say, great boot weather!

Nice boots in the pic too. What make and model?

You should pick up a pair...

Edited by Shyheels

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Nice boots in the pic too. What make and model?

You should pick up a pair...

From Public Desire IIRC. Too loose on the legs for me.

I had finally bought some boots that fitted my leg, but had a slightly 'in-grown' heel on one foot. Having returned them because of that, I was waiting for a repeat of the discount that had me buying them in the first place. It's just happened. My size; 'Out of Stock'. Typical. Even with discount they were £40, and not something well made enough to wear out I suspect. Lovely fitting boot though. No pictures as I had hairy legs at the time - not that much of my leg could be seen.... Maybe next year .... :rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

From Public Desire IIRC. Too loose on the legs for me.

I had finally bought some boots that fitted my leg, but had a slightly 'in-grown' heel on one foot. Having returned them because of that, I was waiting for a repeat of the discount that had me buying them in the first place. It's just happened. My size; 'Out of Stock'. Typical. Even with discount they were £40, and not something well made enough to wear out I suspect. Lovely fitting boot though. No pictures as I had hairy legs at the time - not that much of my leg could be seen.... Maybe next year .... :rolleyes:

No, you don't want them too loose around the leg - they end up looking like you ought to be going fly fishing!

You're lucky on sizing - to get nice OTK boots my size I have to go custom.

On 21/04/2017 at 1:43 PM, Shyheels said:

You're lucky on sizing - to get nice OTK boots my size I have to go custom.

Not that you're into heels, but it would make things easier if you were .... ;)

58fce1eb57bef_OTKshinybootforSkyheels.thumb.jpg.9a6dfbe563d4a9844c25d56e50bd6817.jpg

I think you are a UK11? :huh:

I looked at those boots too, although unlikely to wear them.  Nothing larger than UK9 now available.   The same outlet has (i) these with wider shafts up to UK12:   eBay item 131829555765; and (ii) these up to UK8 - perhaps more to Shyheels's liking but, alas, too small for both him and me:   eBay item 122148418242.

• Like 1

I wonder if one of the "guests" who visit, but either don't log in or aren't members, saw them and bought them? 

It does show the right sized boots are out there, if you are into a heel. ;)  Though I have my doubts they have a 13cm heel. The boots in the pictures certainly don't look to have. :huh:

They look like they could be fun, and daring, to wear around the home office, but I am not sure I'd really spend the money to do it. On the other hand....

Although I am not a fan of pointy toes...

Edited by Shyheels