Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

I don,t think there's been a meeting in London or any where else in the UK for a couple of years now.  I more then happy to do my own thing now and go shopping on  my own. I would still be up for meeting if the meeting was fairly close, but it would have to be more the one person that I be meeting up with.

My interest in railways is essentially (a) operation and history - largely from my armchair; (b) operation in preservation (50 years' service on a particular heritage line).  

I had thought your pseudonym/nickname/handle was related to the act of smoking tobacco. Reading this a bright light seems to have been switched on somewhere, possibly due to a gem of subtle edification, falling into my largely empty head... ;)

A light dawns here too.

i am not really a railway buff in the usual meaning of the term, but I am a travel romantic with a great interest in, and longing for, the golden age of travel - be it on rail, ship or plane.

I had thought your pseudonym/nickname/handle was related to the act of smoking tobacco. Reading this a bright light seems to have been switched on somewhere, possibly due to a gem of subtle edification, falling into my largely empty head... ;)

Your assumption was a fair one.  I used to smoke a pipe but gave it up more than six years ago.   I will still have a small cigar perhaps five times a year.   I think the nom-de-plume originated at work in the late 60s when it was applied as a nickname to recognise both my pipe-smoking and my known interest in railways, but the exact circumstances are now lost in the mists (smoke?) of time.

I do recall that, in that same workplace, my aromatic pipe smoke caused a colleague to enquire 'What is that you're smoking?'.   I was busy adding up a column of figures and dismissed him with a rather curt 'That's my business' - to which he immediately responded 'Well, it certainly smells like it!'.   Happy days ...

• Like 2

I do recall that, in that same workplace, my aromatic pipe smoke caused a colleague to enquire 'What is that you're smoking?'.   I was busy adding up a column of figures and dismissed him with a rather curt 'That's my business' - to which he immediately responded 'Well, it certainly smells like it!'.   Happy days ...

That really did, make me laugh out loud ... :D

Last night ..... Fate was being particularly cruel ...

At the very last minute, Mrs Freddy confirmed she was not too exhausted to accompany me into London after a hard days graft in the salt-mine. (Bless her.) While I make it sound a bit 'jolly' I could never get up at 5am as she does ... Not without a catch-up sleep around 10.30am.

I had/have some returns, and it's been a long time since I'd been out in heels. I had 4 things to go back, and could return 3 on a single trip. We had a birthday present to look for too, so a bit of walking about was called for. 10 minutes into the journey, I realised the one return that needed a C/C would have to wait, as I'd left it at home. (Duh!)

First stop-off was Brent Cross, where the first return to Zara was made. (Details in the 'Leggings thread.)

Back up the escalator to leave, at the top of our ride, a tall slim young woman passed us, wearing a heel high enough for me to consider them too high for shopping. Another time, I would have turned back for a better look, but Mrs Freddy needed to be impressed with a show of (my) willpower to keep the evening short.... We carried on walking back to the car. -_-

The final leg of the trip, about 5 or 6 miles, took us into the West End. 100 yards from the place where we parked, on a busy one-way road, we passed a lady wearing Louboutins. She was also quite tall (I mention height because it would mean the wearer is in a heel for fashion, not for obvious necessity), and had stopped with a girlfriend on the the street corner indulging in a cigarette. Early forties, glamorous/beautiful if slightly past her best, she was gorgeous. Black Loubies, that were Kate 120's I think. Despite walking briskly back up toward her and the shops, she had long gone by the time we reached the corner.

At New Look, they wanted my name, address, postcode for the £22 cash return. I gave false details, as this information is not for public, or commercial consumption. Once I had my money, I told them I lied. At Zara, they just want to see the receipt. Even with C/C purchases, this is all they need if I remember correctly. Even the gracious Mrs Freddy passed a critical remark to the cashier (with a smile - of course).

We had a quick look around the bigger stores there for poor people. No time for Selfridges.

The bribe for Mrs Freddy to join me, was a meal out. (No cooking, no washing up, and waiter/waitress service.) We went to Prezzo which almost never has poor service. We had struggled once with one that was so busy it was bulging at the seams, another forgot our order so we ate very cheaply that night.... It's the place I use as a benchmark to measure others..... Not this night...

We don't often have a starter, but we decided to share one. It was supposed to be garlic bread with mozzarella and garlic of course. What turned up was a pitta sized piece of pizza, with perhaps a tablespoon of cheese, garnished with teaspoon of garlic oil. I wanted to send it back, but in 'keeping the peace' I was persuaded not to. I finished my half very quickly with little to no satisfaction for the £6 spent.

Following on in the general 'flavour' of the event, some 20 minutes later, the maître d' asked if we'd like a "sweet to complete your meal"? I suggested a main course first, was probably more appropriate? Our mains took another 5 minutes to arrive. Thankfully the portions were a little more suitable for hungry adults. I enjoyed my pasta, Mrs Freddy enjoyed her very meaty burger.

By the time we finished, it was past 10.30 and we had an hours driving in front of us. We toyed with having a mini-dessert that came with coffee/teas/hot chocolate, but waited so long for service, when someone did finally turn up, we asked for the bill. We put the payment down, that was attended to with the same enthusiasm we had been given all evening. Finally, we decided to leave with payment still on the table. Once outside, we let a large delivery lorry hide us as we walked to the car. Just for the record, there were at least 4 people who could have picked up payment, but seemingly staff had 'clocked off' some time earlier. I don't often fail to leave a tip for service, but nothing was left tonight. On a previous visit, I had gladly left £5 against a £30 bill at the same place - because we were looked after.

So back to the car, and on our way home.

As we drove past Selfridges, the West End nightlife was making itself obvious. Once again on a busy one-way road, and approaching a junction, yet another tall girl walked across the road in front of us to a Club we were passing. Completely clad in black, very short skirt/long top - take your pick - and black sandals with a good 6 inch heel. The shoes had platforms, but the rise was considerable. I got perhaps a 2 second glimpse as the traffic in front of me moved away, and I had to immediately follow suit. 

I don't usually wear socks while wearing heels. I tend to use some 'ankle hose' which is for practical purposes, seam free. They aren't but I twist them so I don't experience any rubbing. Tonight I had worn socks with quite a thin seam. they rubbed to tops of my toes, making walking slightly uncomfortable after an hour or two. Rotating them helped, but I expected blisters or opened skin. The lone bit of good fortune over the evening, was my skin remained intact.  

Edited by FastFreddy2

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

You don't say what shoes/boots you were wearing, Freddy.

This picture wasn't available when I wrote up the evening. ;)

A shoe from Debenhams in PU, originally priced at £35, with a reasonable 4½ inch heel I bought in one of their many sales. Very comfortable, unless you have the seam of your sock digging into the top of your toes....

56641f9bf31f0_DebenhamsanklebootinPU.jpg

23 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I had/have some returns, and it's been a long time since I'd been out in heels. I had 4 things to go back, and could return 3 on a single trip. We had a birthday present to look for too, so a bit of walking about was called for. 10 minutes into the journey, I realised the one return that needed a C/C would have to wait, as I'd left it at home. (Duh!)

I attempted to return that item to M+S (leggings), this time remembering my C/C. I never use it to shop 'in store', and the card only leaves the house if I decide to do a return in person, rather than use a courier. I'm still looking for the elusive "12 Long" but had a 12 Medium to return. Thinking to look again for the 12L I returned the 12R personally.

I found a 14 with legs about 2 inches longer, so didn't do a return after all, just a swap with the 14R going back if they don't fit very well.

When I got back to the car, some 20 minutes later, I'd either 'lost' the C/C, or had it swiped from my back pocket. I have no idea how I managed to lose it, as I hadn't intentionally removed it at any time, but gone it was. Took me a further 20 minutes to get it reported to the bank, but it was cancelled before anyone attempted to use it. I had left the store at closing time, but I was allowed back in for a quick look around, but it wasn't anywhere I remembered walking. I was told to ring the store tomorrow, and I will. The card is useless to me and anyone else in the UK, but I understand these things are worth money abroad.... Hopefully it'll turn up tomorrow.

There's a reason I don't take these things out of the house.... :rolleyes: (Called 'hapless' ~ careless?)

Bad luck, Freddy, but if you've cancelled the card all will be well.   Not a lot of point in finding it now.   Don't keep anything of value in a back pocket!

• Like 1

Contacting people in the stores is proving to be hard work! :rolleyes:

My only reason for locating the card, is 'peace of mind'. If I can be told it's not held by someone who shouldn't have it, I will be happier than thinking it's been picked up by some ne'er do well. 

Finally .....

Nothing 'declared' at either store, though one did say if a card was found and not claimed 24 hours after being found, they would cut it up anyway.

London and the West End tomorrow night.

Got some returns to do. Sales are likely over, and temperatures will be low so no long walks at the moment. :rolleyes:

December was the wettest on record, and pretty much replicated the 'wet Winter' of 2012. We've had so much rain in the Home Counties, it's starting to feel like Manchester. ;) :D

We are currently in a brief cold but dry spell. Warmer and wetter by the weekend .... :rolleyes: Global warming means more moisture from the oceans, and more rain for cool land next to them. That would be the UK ....  

For one reason and another, I have been out in heels everyday for the last 4 days. Out again today, at Lakeside.

Will be there from 1.30pm until around 6pm. Primarni shoe section will be my main interest. ;)

Was at Westfield on Monday, from around 3pm until around 7pm, wearing my fairly pointed M+S ankle boots. Got spotted by more people than I would prefer, plus I got a chuckle out of 2 (of a group of 4) 'ethnic' women sitting around a table I walked past. There was no mistaking their amusement. :angry:

With that in mind, I went to Lakeside with my higher (5") but more discreet shoe-boots, as shown in my avatar. More difficult to walk in (they are high), I don't recall seeing anyone notice my heels. B) If they did, their awareness was more subtle than the foreigners I walked past yesterday. Xenophobic? Do I have a reason not to be? :rolleyes:

Walked around Lakeside for the better part of 4 hours, which was enough, given how much time I've spent in a heel recently. I seem to have gone from one extreme (not wearing a heel for weeks) to getting them on several consecutive days. I might had been there for 5 hours, but for the traffic queue leaving the M25 at Junction 30/31. Road "Improvements" causing a 1 hour delay during the last 2 miles of the motorway journey. To put that into perspective, the journey time would have been 20 minutes shorter if we had walked the last 2 miles....

While there, I managed to find 3 lots of (girls) trousers, which were all found in the 'leftover' rails from the Winter sales. All 3 will be returned, now that I've tried them on. (Their fit on me being 'typical' as to why they are leftovers.) For example: H+M stretch skinny trouser. "Size 14" fitted like a 10, and was 3 inches too long in the leg. So they'd need someone with a 28" waist around 5' 10" to 5' 11" tall, for them to fit. The same trousers sized 12 and 10, would likely best fit children. The size 12 PU trousers from M+S, were a tad tight on the waist (unusually), but were around 3 inches shy on leg length. That means they were short, even for a "12 Short", yet they were marked Medium in length. The 12 Medium jeans had a similar problem, though not quite as bad, unless I wore them sitting around my hips, then they were a good length. :rolleyes:

Did better at Primarni though. Got some black suede ankle boots at a 'gift' price. Good fit too. Not sure I'll wear them out, but I could use them once, throw them away and still feel like I got good value for money. (Well, almost. ;) :D

As usual, Primarni come up a bit generous on sizing. These are a claimed UK7 and a good fit on my feet.

56ce1fd099b3b_Primarksuedetteankleboots.

Edited by FastFreddy2

While this thread normally pre-warns of a meeting opportunity, this is more a 'supplement' to recent experience.

Almost literally 'popped' into Brent Cross late today (Saturday). Was there for about 2 hours, with around 45 minutes of travelling on either side of that.

Wore my shoe-boots as per my current avatar, with 5" heels. My last visit to Brent Cross had me in my favoured pointed toe M+S 'cowboy' style ankle boots that seem to get me more attention than I would prefer. Walking in the slightly high heel was slower, not least because I have to concentrate on minimising my hip swaying in a 5" heel. It will sound a little paradoxical, but these high heels really are a pleasure to put on my feet. The size is just about perfect, and the rise is a challenge I can cope with for most 'outings'. My left ankle (damaged in a fall when I was a child) usually weakens first, and I find it gives me trouble landing my left heel squarely. Other than that, I might be tempted to wear these shoes for an extended period some time... ;)

So, today I was walking along the upper floor.... I'd been spotted once by a woman as I was going into John Lewis while she was leaving, and I'd then sat for a while inside the store, drinking a cup of coffee. On leaving, I again walked along the upper floor. Possibly four paces (six wearing these heels) from a shop entrance, a plain looking women of ethnic background, left the shop with such speed she nearly walked into me. Before we passed each other, I doubt 1.5 seconds passed. In that time she looked at my face, looked at my shoes, then took a second look at my face. I was shocked/impressed with the speed of her cognitive ability!

She had immediately understood I wasn't wearing mens shoes, just from my gait. (That's "hip swing" to you and me. ;)) As I walked further along the mall, I put a little more work into who walked straight past, and who (possibly) didn't. What I noticed was my fellow Brit's tended to notice nothing at all, either by accident or design. If anyone gave me a second/sideways look, it was someone with a non-European appearance. Something of a non-scientific/small sample research project, but it easily backed up my long held belief some groups are more 'switched on' to boundary pushing, than others.

That woman though .... so fast:D

Edited by FastFreddy2

This Thursday the 7th, I will be visiting the National Portrait Gallery. It's a favoured place, though I'm not always keen on 'Old Masters' (nods to Puffer. ;) :D)

A Vogue (magazine) exhibition is on there at the moment, and time is running out to go see it. My walking companion who is something of a 'culture vulture' (despite being a Bruce Springsteen fan,) has made enough noise about going that I have succumbed to taking her. And I mean 'taking' quite literally. I'm reluctant to pay for these things though I will pay if it's something I really want to see, The arrangement is that I provide the transport and patience with the London traffic for what will probably be a 60-70 minute each way journey, and I get my ticket paid for. She will get ferried from door, to almost door and back, for less than the cost of train fare. Hopefully, a win/win situation. It might be my turn to pay for food though ... :huh: Oh well. :D

We did meet up with a fellow heeler around two years ago at the same place. The cafeteria there was very nice.

In the unlikely event anyone else would like to join us this time, you would be very welcome. B) I'm hoping there will be fashionistas there from time to time, and it maybe one or more will visit while I am there. Not that the pictures shouldn't be entertaining enough on their own. ;) 

7 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Wish I could. All the best, though.

Thank you. B)

Despite myself, I managed to get there -literally- at the minute the tickets had been booked for. ;) More by luck than anything else, as I set off fairly late (as is my way).

Getting parked close to the gaff was difficult, as there were roadworks and diversions all around the place. There was also a taxi driver behind who felt it necessary to 'beep' me at every turn, I guess because he was in a hurry to get somewhere? In some respects it was a shame I had heels on, or I would have been happy to have made him even later .... [If I had stopped and offered to help him fix his faulty horn, the narrow roads would have prevented him from getting past my vehicle.]

The exhibition was rammed (busy). School age children, mostly (aspiring) girls possibly were in evidence, as were mum's and girlfriends. I could understand why they would limit entry to fixed periods, otherwise getting to see all the images would have been impossible. It wasn't altogether easy even with metered entry. It wasn't just the young who were present, but many older people too. I saw at least two women, who would have been 'stunners', perhaps 30 or 40 years ago, and weren't unattractive even though they were some years into retirement age.

There were hundreds of pictures to look at. I REALLY didn't like the way details of the photo's were often several feet away from pictures. It made 'understanding' who and what I was looking at, (unnecessarily) difficult.

My shock-of-the-day was finding out, how badly focussed many of the images were, and how often these badly focussed images were used in the magazine. Of course these errors were easier to spot when enlarged, but some unfocussed images were used that were not that hard to spot (if you were inclined to notice), even in magazines. There was one I saw, of a lady standing in a garishly opulent library. She with coat or dress and hat, with acres of books behind her. The only thing in focus was a bookshelf. :huh:

A photo I really did like, was one of Princess Anne taken circa 1973. Made her out to be a really pretty girl. B)

5707974f9b830_PrincessAnne1973forVogue.j

My walking friend had expected to spend an hour walking around, but although we had a quite sprightly dash around, it still took a good hour and a half. If there had been seating other than at the end of the chronologically arranged exhibits, we might have been tempted to loiter for longer. As it was, my companion (she with 20+ years of high heel wearing) could barely walk at the end of the viewing. Me wearing a 5" heel (spotted by several as I entered/exited the loo which had a suspended/trampoline floor) in shoes I hadn't worn for some time, hadn't exactly left me discomfort free either. As I've often said, if you want to experience pain wearing a high heel, stand still in them for a couple of hours. I think we were both slightly relieved to get back in the car for a sit down. :)

Hard to say if there was great value-for-money at £17 each for 90 minutes, with a visit to a cinema being half that cost, but this was something -an experience- to be had perhaps once or twice in a lifetime. I can recommend it if you can make the time to go see it, but it might be better to go outside of school holiday periods. And consider taking some refreshment if you are used to drinking fluids frequently.

We popped up to Oxford Street on the homeward journey for a very acceptable cup of coffee in John Lewis, and a quick browse at the footwear for my companion, before returning home. I had only taken the one pair of shoes with me, and walking in 5" heels along the uneven pavement from the parking space some 400 yards away, nearly did for me. It's one thing to walk with tired (unfit/untrained) ankles on the flat/even floor of (say) a shopping mall, quite another to attempt the same journey on what felt like lumpy and uneven cobbled pavement. Next time .... ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Well ........

Summer came and went. Another wet and windy start to the 'strolling' season, with unsettled weather through most of the lighter days. We had an unseasonably warmer end to September, but the cool Autumn has arrived with a 'bump'.

While my heeling activities have been fairly predictable (North London and the West End) I did find myself in Bluewater, though took the long route to avoid charges - and traffic jams.

On balance, my court shoe wearing plans were pretty much scuppered due to light evening (expected) and heavy presence of tourists (less expected). I'm not looking to give up, and am currently looking for 'an opportunity'. I have advised Mrs Freddy I want to go to a fetish do (a type of event we haven't been to for nearly 20 years) and she has not been resistant. I had in mind the yearly Rubber Ball, but early enquiries on Google suggest it's no longer held. I wonder if anyone could advise?

The alternative is the Torture Garden gigs. There is a number of these on the immediate horizon, the better know of which looks to be sold out already. The November the 5th gig still has tickets available, and that could be an option for court shoes.

Not much has changed overall. My visits are getting a tad shorter, as the people I travel with are getting less enthusiastic, possibly due to their age. I am less plagued than them by creaking bones and sore feet, so my enthusiasm has not yet waned quite so much. Mrs Freddy has said she is pretty much done with West End shopping until after Christmas, as time in shops has become pretty much unbearable already. We were at Brent Cross on Sunday, as heavy showers in the London area made the West End an unattractive prospect. The place was as full as I've ever seen it, with very little space for those looking to park up for a while over a cup of something hot. The noise in ALDO was almost at nightclub level. 

The end-of-year-sales are the best time for me to shop for street wearable footwear of course, and I am looking forward to the last few weeks in December. I will update posts elsewhere regarding this, but these opportunities affect those with size 9 feet and smaller. Ankle boots are the mainstay of the dedicated shoe outlets, with OTK boots quite popular too. As usual, nothing quite slim enough for me (so far). 

With a voucher for 'free coffee and cake', I ventured into the West End yesterday.

Haven't really got the free time, and the cool weather doesn't help enthuse it either but I hate waste, and throwing away a £7 voucher would be wasteful. The fact it cost me £10 in fuel, 7 hours of an otherwise 'useful' day, and lots and lots of stress finding a parking space - were not really considerations until afterward.

Went to Brent Cross first, to return some New Look coated trousers (that needed a backside even smaller than my tiny one to fit properly), and the last of 3 pairs of red Office shoes (I've now given up on). Wore (mens) flats so the returns were both done inside 10 minutes.

Then on to the West End. Jeez, Christmas shopping being done in earnest! Well, people were there, I don't know people were spending money though? Went to one of the big three stores that are close to each other. Used some of the display after-shave, and got approached by two assistants before it had time to dry.... The black Friday weekend may have been responsible, with 20% discounts plastered everywhere. Not that it did me any good. I did buy some ankle boots from ALDO, but these were in one of their regular sales anyway. (I got back so late, I forgot to order some things from H+M I wanted. Unusually, men's tops.... Rather than coated leggings.)

Walked up as far as M+S at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street, mostly in the dark as I arrived late. (The Brent Cross diversion cost me a total of 30 minutes, and finding an empty parking space lost me the same amount of time again. It was overcast, and it's dark quite early now anyway. Only 4 weeks before the days start getting longer!) Sooooo..... I had a good walk in my 5 inch ankle boots. My legs certainly knew it, as did my left (weaker) ankle, but I enjoyed every second. Even when in ALDO, I completely forgot I was wearing a high heel despite shopping for more of the same. I know women don't overly enjoy shopping in high heels, but I just don't see a downside? I guess because wearing them to me, is like a holiday (from flat shoes). If you walk far enough, if you carry enough weight, any walking is going to make your feet ache. Wearing a heel doesn't seem to make mine any worse, and a slightly lower heel (4½ inches) often means I can walk with cooler feet than usual. (Or it least it seems that way.) 

While I might visit again before Christmas during the week, ("sales" often start the third week in December) I have my doubts I will visit again before Christmas at the weekend. It's just too busy. Not so busy as to feel harassed in any way, but busy enough for visiting to be something of an unrewarding challenge. Brent Cross last week, was the same. Lots of people apparently shopping, but not to many bags being carried. People browsing, but buying online perhaps?

Had some time to kill this afternoon while I waited for my Dad to come out of hospital. Had a little walk round chichester. Same story as always. Nothing in a size 9. Thought I might be able to find something in a size 9 in New look. Nice big shop with two floors and huge selection of high heels but none in a size 9. Had the store had in the heels size order might of found some something in a size 9. I don't think New look stock size 9 in store now.

Edited by Heels

Had planned to go to the West End tonight, but left home late (surprise surprise) so went to Brent Cross instead. Wore my new ALDO ankle boots, which are proving to be the most uncomfortable shoe I own. The heel is not overly high, although high. The fit is good, but they are plastic. There is no give in the toebox, so walking in them produces some rubbing across the tops of both big toes. Full review another time.

So, wore the ALDO boots. The toe shape and material marks them out visually, as being a girls shoe despite them mostly being covered by my jeans. I got spotted by a lot of people, especially those sitting. One woman, a non-European, almost broke her neck trying to validate the glimpse she got as I walked past her seated position. She looked a further 3 times, catching me looking at her every time before I decided to put my shoes out of her line of sight. I don't mind 'being spotted', in fact I expect it. But discretion is welcome. Unless you are being paid for it, who enjoys being stared at? (Have a look by all means, it's a story to tell your grandchildren: "I once saw a man in heels". But no need to be rude ...)

To my surprise, I found shoes and boots in the sales at Fenwicks. We are now less than 2 weeks from Christmas, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. Fenwicks wasn't overly busy, so I tried on some knee boots from Dune while there.

Dune Tommy 2016.jpg

Fit was good, with a calf fitting as it should be, but still a little loose around the lower calf and ankle. Actually covered my knee cap.

A bit later on while in John Lewis, and after some faffing about (waiting for a girl with size 3 or size 4 feet to finish trying on the same style), I took a size 8/41 of these off to another corner in the shoe section and tried them on.

Dune - Sybil 2016.jpg

As with the Tommy style above, these fitted my foot, but baggy everywhere else up my leg. :(

Although I wouldn't spend £108 on boots, if they fitted, at least I could 'aspire' to own a pair, but still no success in finding anything to cover my legs.   

Edited by FastFreddy2

7 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Had planned to go to the West End tonight, but left home late (surprise surprise) so went to Brent Cross instead. Wore my new ALDO ankle boots, which are proving to be the most uncomfortable shoe I own. The heel is not overly high, although high. The fit is good, but they are plastic. There is no give in the toebox, so walking in them produces some rubbing across the tops of both big toes. Full review another time.

So, wore the ALDO boots. The toe shape and material marks them out visually, as being a girls shoe despite them mostly being covered by my jeans. I got spotted by a lot of people, especially those sitting. One woman, a non-European, almost broke her neck trying to validate the glimpse she got as I walked past her seated position. She looked a further 3 times, catching me looking at her every time before I decided to put my shoes out of her line of sight. I don't mind 'being spotted', in fact I expect it. But discretion is welcome. Unless you are being paid for it, who enjoys being stared at? (Have a look by all means, it's a story to tell your grandchildren: "I once saw a man in heels". But no need to be rude ...)

To my surprise, I found shoes and boots in the sales at Fenwicks. We are now less than 2 weeks from Christmas, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. Fenwicks wasn't overly busy, so I tried on some knee boots from Dune while there.

If the Aldo boots were the Tokologo, Freddy, I'm surprised by what you say about the 'girl's shoe' appearance as, from the front, the plain toe looks totally unisex to me - although the heel, if visible, must be a giveaway.   A shame that they aren't comfortable.   I see that they are currently listed as available in an alleged 9.5, if anyone is interested.

I was at Stratford Westfield for a couple of hours yesterday around lunchtime.   I wasn't impressed with what was on offer, although a few pairs of 5" or near-5" stilettos were on the shelves.   Primark was totally dominated by block-heeled ankle boots - should really have been in the men's section!   New Look didn't seem to have anything in large sizes.   I saw a few women in 'worthwhile' heels (shoes or boots) there, and more in the City later on - either commuters going home or girls going to early Christmas parties, but overall not as inspiring as I recall from my many working visits there in former years - but then nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

If the Aldo boots were the Tokologo, Freddy, I'm surprised by what you say about the 'girl's shoe' appearance as, from the front, the plain toe looks totally unisex to me - although the heel, if visible, must be a giveaway.   A shame that they aren't comfortable.   I see that they are currently listed as available in an alleged 9.5, if anyone is interested.

The notion these new Tokologo boots look 'passable' is a fair assumption, but sadly, not borne out by experience. My 'usual' footwear of choice is another ALDO style - as in my avatar. Those are ever-so-slightly higher, and allow almost no foot movement at all. The consequence of wearing the (leather) style is that I look like I'm walking in a high heel and my hips have to rotate when I walk. ('Mincing' if a man, 'wiggling' if a woman.)  I get noticed less in the leather shoe? Plastic used on less expensive (womens) shoes has a particular sheen to it, not usually seen on mens shoes. It's a shame I can't embed a video here of me walking in the Tokologo without third party involvement (You Tube) so I could demonstrate. 

I got quite cavalier by mid-evening, and even thought of giving 'the masses' something to stare at by wearing some tight leather look leggings and stiletto's. Then realised I might be a little too old for such an adventure. :rolleyes: If only I were 30 years younger and enjoyed my post-mid-life-crisis confidence.... (Actually, I've yet to have mine. Wonder what the hold-up is?)

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

I was at Stratford Westfield for a couple of hours yesterday around lunchtime.   I wasn't impressed with what was on offer, although a few pairs of 5" or near-5" stilettos were on the shelves.   Primark was totally dominated by block-heeled ankle boots - should really have been in the men's section!   New Look didn't seem to have anything in large sizes.   I saw a few women in 'worthwhile' heels (shoes or boots) there, and more in the City later on - either commuters going home or girls going to early Christmas parties, but overall not as inspiring as I recall from my many working visits there in former years - but then nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I would have enjoyed the chance of a meet up at Stratford if one had been in the offing, but I had to invent a way to keep a rear fog light with broken mounting, in the right place to get my car though an MOT today. I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon under the back of my car, working what I would call 'a small miracle'. Took longer than expected, hence my late visit out by way of celebration the lamp was returned to its rightful location. My car got a nice shiny MOT today, so the time was well spent. ;)

It's been 4 years since I visited Westfield Stratford, and back during the pre-Olympic visit, I was aghast at how busy the place was. I was also surprised that Primark and John Lewis shared a location. I have doubts they share customers for example...

As to shoes, "the world and his wife" have possibly made the same discovery I did not some 8 years ago: Ankle boots work with everything, including every shape of leg (unlike 'tall' or OTK boots). Might be a bit late for a wide range of high heels given we are in the 'Christmas do' weeks, and certainly Office is the shop to visit for those. Zara and  ALDO have heels too, but Office offers the highest, and without platforms.   

Seems you found some entertainment, if not in the volume you anticipated. I hope you enjoyed your day out. No mention of a heel on your own feet, so I expect there was no 'mincing' on your part. ;) :P :D

43 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

... The consequence of wearing the (leather) style is that I look like I'm walking in a high heel and my hips have to rotate when I walk. ('Mincing' if a man, 'wiggling' if a woman.)  I get noticed less in the leather shoe? ...

Seems you found some entertainment, if not in the volume you anticipated. I hope you enjoyed your day out. No mention of a heel on your own feet, so I expect there was no 'mincing' on your part. ;) :P :D

No, I was not in heels - flat shoes, a three-piece suit, shirt and tie was more appropriate for my early-evening function in the City.   But I did think of you when passing Mincing Lane and again later whilst indulging in some mince pies.   ;)