Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Aldo

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but since I've not found comments here .....

My first ever experience of ALDO and trying on shoes in their stores was at Lakeside, when I tried on some very girlie 4 3/4" black patent stillies. Seen on the right >> here << which I didn't buy at the time, much to the [obvious] frustration/disappointment of the sales staff. [They fitted, I could walk in them, and I obviously liked them, so why not buy?]

At the time, £50 shoes I might seldom wear, was on balance, pointless. When they went on sale for £25 .... I bought them.

Anyway, the Sales staff were super helpful.

Some weeks later, I got totally ignored at Bluewater, which almost completely changed my mind about them. With hindsight, I think the staff at that store -at that time- were maybe not as well trained/well motivated as I might prefer. "In store" service otherwise, has always been good moving toward a little pushy. Although a Canadian outfit, maybe the training staff are using US Manuals? :D

Was at the Liquidation store in Wood Green today.

The background to Wood Green, is that it's quite an 'ethnic' town and the bulk of the folk there appear to be Afro-Caribbean. Neither them, nor the African and Muslim community there, are known for their tolerance of gender crossover be that sexual or dress code..... So I'm not wholly comfortable trying on womens shoes there, and I doubt I've ever worn them in the street there either. Not had any bad experiences, but then I haven't put myself in line for one either.

In store, I knew what I wanted, though I did [discreetly while standing] try on the Chupka in a EU42 with a sock still on my foot for all of about 2 seconds. [it fitted, but EU42 at ALDO is a size 9! :D ] Walking around with the 42 Chupka in one hand, and a 41 Levere I picked up in the other, I eventually got approached so asked for '41' versions of both shoes. It took an age [4 minutes] to get the 41 Levere out for me, but there wasn't a 41 Chupka in store.

Without batting an eyelid, the floor manager [Polish woman] hands the 42 Levere back to me, and says "We only have the 42, why don't you try them?" I declined [which plainly didn't impressed her one bit. 'Pushy' see. :-( ] But even in the most unlikely of places, [and I mean Wood Green by that remark], ALDO staff were not phased by a man looking to buy for himself, womans shoes. B)

On balance, ALDO comes Highly Recommended in supporting men shopping for womens shoes. B)

Without batting an eyelid, the floor manager [Polish woman] hands the 42 Levere back to me, and says "We only have the 42, why don't you try them?" I declined [which plainly didn't impressed her one bit. 'Pushy' see. :-( ] But even in the most unlikely of places, [and I mean Wood Green by that remark], ALDO staff were not phased by a man looking to buy for himself, womans shoes. B)

Was back in the Liquidation store last week.

Was there to browse for bargains, as the discounts there are usually quite good. [Always worth a look.] I've had luck at Wood Green with Select and Matalan, but the reason to go for me, is the ALDO store.

I did find a shoe I wanted to try. A style picked out by my walking companion earlier in the day. Walking into the fairly quiet shop alone, and after picking up the shoe to try on, I was again approached by the [Polish] manageress. "Can I help you?" This said while I've a got the <girls> shoe in my hand, and I'm walking past her - or trying to anyhow. wink.gif "No thanks, I'm okay, thank you." I replied with a <slightly nervous> smile.

Well ..... blink.gif I got a look that said I'd insulted her family? biggrin.gif

I'm fairly sure she watched me try the shoe on in the corner of her eye, and she certainly looked around just as I took the shoe off. I put it back on the shelf, and left. To be honest, this is the woman I know to be unfazed by my footwear habits, and maybe not engaging her wouldn't be her first choice. But..... Unusually I had a sock on, and the 41 I tried didn't fit. I'm never happy trying on a 42 at the best of times and I'm sure the 42 [if they had one] would have fitted, but would I have wanted to take it back later, with all the grief involved in doing that? Better for me to return wearing some of my own hosiery grade ankle socks to try the 41..... cool.gif

Anyway, ALDO still one of the best stores to visit. smile.gif

For the balance of today, until end of play tomorrow, ALDO have further discounts on some of their online Clearance lines.

I'll be spending. If some of the UK readers are looking to treat yourselves ..... ALDO do many styles up to a size UK9/US11. cool.gif

Just found >> these << £20 leather man boot with moderate heel. wink.gif

Reason for edit: Link added.

Edited by FastFreddy2

ALDO continue with their on-line Sale, but have repriced various styles. Some less, some more? blink.gif

Some very very good bargains to be had, if you don't already own all the styles you like.... wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Blige, 5 years since I commented on ALDO!!!

The ankle boots shown in my avatar were bought from the ALDO store in Camden a couple of years ago. I had them kept, and tried them on with the help of an (ethnic) employee who wasn't the least bit phased by me asking for, and trying on the boots. No pressure, and a lot of help at the till. In fact he got me a second pair when I asked, because I liked them so much. (And I still love wearing them. :wub:) They are really high, and fit really well. B)

As reported elsewhere, I had tried on some ALDO OTK (thigh) boots recently, that despite being slim legged, were not slim enough for me. Thing was, the foot part of the boot fitted really well! The same boot came in OTK, knee and ankle styles. Just recently, the boots have gone into sale, and the ankle boots are currently offered at £40. I bought a pair last week, and the fit was very good.

Looking to order a second pair online, my size was out of stock. I enquired by telephone to a couple of stores, and found a pair available in North London. I had asked about them, and an offer was made to 'put them away' for me and the conversation with a male concluded something like this:

<After putting my name on the box.>

"Are they for you sir"?

(Me grinning.) No.

"Ah, that's what they all say sir." (Light-heartedly.)

(Me grinning more.) I prefer a stiletto.

"You need the height?"

The ankle boots were put away for me until today, when I collected them.

I may have met the fella I spoke to. He offered the shoes when I mentioned my name; "Ah Freddy, something for the weekend?" With a smile and without having picked up the shoes! This even though I had Mrs Freddy running 'interference' and me wearing flat (men's) shoes in case of such an eventuality. (ie caught in a lie - though I soooo obviously was.) Didn't get asked if I wanted to try them on, which would have added some obvious pressure to the encounter, so everything run to make the purchase as painless as possible. 

Here are the boots:

TOKOLOGO_96_RG.JPG

More details >> here <<

ALDO then, still highly recommended. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2
Grammar.

The few times I,ve been to Aldo in Camden, the store has always been busy. First time I went there I managed to find two pairs of knee high boots that fitted but just couldn't get the zip up on one boot. Should of still bought them. Anyway I find their shoes run small so I don't bother going there now.

Camden isn't the shop it used to be. Last two times I visited, I regretted going there because it isn't an easy place for me to get to, and isn't easy to get parked up. Neither visit had me finding anything remotely interesting as the shoes in the 'Outlet' section were leftovers for very good reason. The store there, isn't now much different to the regular ALDO stores found on major high streets or malls. Some years ago, it was more of a 'disposal' shop with a vast array of interesting choices but with limited sizes.

I will agree that sometimes sizing can be a bit off. As mentioned further up the thread, I had to have a size 9 Chupka to get my foot into the ankle boot comfortably. I have a pair of ankle boots here in a different style, allegedly a size 8, but fit like a size 7 (so are unworn despite 5" heels). Since I can get my feet into a lot of size 7's, they must be a VERY small 8.

That said, I have a couple of ALDO styles that are generous 8's, and the size 9's could probably accommodated a small 10 because the 8's are so big. The size 9 in the style shown in my avatar, were a very good size 9. Another style I have (Levere) also came with a generous size 9.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but 'global' shoe suppliers (China, Vietnam, Brazil etc etc) mean that even within a brand, shoe sizes won't be identical. The ONLY retailer I know that has a completely uniform sizing regime, is Marks and Spencer. I spend a LOT of time in shoe shops, 'window shopping' for potential additions to the collection. If something pops up I'm interested in, if I don't try it on in store, I will buy to try at home. Sometimes I will order online to do the same thing, but more often I buy and return. This helps me to work out the correct size (if available) and allows me to hunt for bargains during sale or promotion periods. Since I own more shoes (and boots) than I could ever wear, price has to be attractive for me to commit, as with the Togoloko.

They are a really 'comfy' boot, so much so that when I tried them on earlier (at home) I didn't take them off for almost an hour. It's unusual because I almost never wear a heel at home. Not sure this particular style came in a UK9 though. 'Apparently' (meaning "I have read somewhere") boots are usually a bit larger than shoes because manufacturers expect socks to be worn with them, not hose. That might explain why my worn pair of Levere flop around on my feet ....  

Edited by FastFreddy2

A nice, unisex style, Freddy - good choice.   :D   But the original price of £80 (for a synthetic boot) is taking the piss rather, ain't it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puffer said:

A nice, unisex style, Freddy - good choice.   :D   But the original price of £80 (for a synthetic boot) is taking the piss rather, ain't it?

Certainly beyond my meagre budget, but not unusual these days.

I can't recall the last time I paid the original sticker price for shoes or boots, and I suspect the brands don't expect many to either. When I first started buying high street brands to wear, ankle boots were in the £80 range for leather. Now they are twice that, in 8 years. Shoes sales used to run for 2 months after Cringlemas, now barely a month. Ravel/Faith/Barratts (as was), now all gone as have one or two others. The survivors are maybe keeping profitable by charging a lot of money for products shipped in from very inexpensive suppliers. 

As an example: I have tried to buy a well made version of the Office 'On to Point' style in red patent. Retailing at £68 usually, and stock nearly gone helped recently by a 20% discount promotion. These synthetic shoes were identified as having been made in Spain. An almost identical shoe made in China, retails at £17 with carriage at £4. No shop front or retail staff to employ, so costs for selling the Chinese version are lower, but the company is making enough money to stay healthy. Their shoes sell in reasonable numbers. (Their service is very good too.)

That is a big difference in potential margins. Even better is the Jimmy Choo Anouk the two copies mentioned above are modelled on, which start at £375, and goes upwards if you have a pair made in a different skin or colour not usually available to retailers.

The Kurt Geiger version of the Jimmy Choo style court (might have been called Eden) went from £160 to pennies short of £200 in the space of a couple of years. Dune shoes (which I don't much like) are as bad. Plain knee boots: £200 thank you very much.

My collection with be worth twice what it cost me a couple of years. ;) :D 

Edited by FastFreddy2

18 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

My collection with be worth twice what it cost me a couple of years. ;) :D 

We all like to have 'high yield' shoes, Freddy!   B)

But don't brag too much about it or the Chancellor will surely bring 'chattels' within the scope of capital gains tax.   :o

Edited by Puffer
typo
  • Like 1

It would seem the Tokologo style from ALDO has been removed from the 'sale' range and is back to full price. :huh:

I wonder, could I return the ones bought over the weekend claiming: 'lost receipt' and get a credit note for the (current) full price .... doubling my investment? :D Sadly, not. :rolleyes: B)

I've noticed that with some brands, the loss of one or more sizes in a style, coincides with that style slipping into the sale category. At the time the Tokologo had joined the sale section, a UK8 wasn't available online. (Coincidence.) It was also part of a small range that had been discounted during the "Black Friday" week/fortnight. With the size 8 available again, maybe there's no reason for it to be part of the 'sales' line? The B/F promotion has ended too, so it could be that instead?

Something slightly more enigmatic is the disappearance of a style called >> Capestick << from the UK ALDO website. This link is to the US ALDO site.

A Google search still offers the same address as my bookmark, but it only produces an error page. I saw the shoe in store on Sunday too? I hope the style returns, as the shoe fits like a glove, but at £90 it was too expensive for my budget. I had been optimistic it might appear in a sale over the Cringlemas/New Year period. ;) 

CAPESTICK_97_RG.JPG

On 12/7/2016 at 1:07 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

It would seem the Tokologo style from ALDO has been removed from the 'sale' range and is back to full price. :huh:

I wonder, could I return the ones bought over the weekend claiming: 'lost receipt' and get a credit note for the (current) full price .... doubling my investment? :D Sadly, not. :rolleyes: B)

I've noticed that with some brands, the loss of one or more sizes in a style, coincides with that style slipping into the sale category. At the time the Tokologo had joined the sale section, a UK8 wasn't available online. (Coincidence.) It was also part of a small range that had been discounted during the "Black Friday" week/fortnight. With the size 8 available again, maybe there's no reason for it to be part of the 'sales' line? The B/F promotion has ended too, so it could be that instead?

Something slightly more enigmatic is the disappearance of a style called >> Capestick << from the UK ALDO website. This link is to the US ALDO site.

A Google search still offers the same address as my bookmark, but it only produces an error page. I saw the shoe in store on Sunday too? I hope the style returns, as the shoe fits like a glove, but at £90 it was too expensive for my budget. I had been optimistic it might appear in a sale over the Cringlemas/New Year period. ;) 

CAPESTICK_97_RG.JPG

Thosr heels are...wow!

It's a shame I never got to own a pair. The heel was a very good height, in that it didn't overly affect how I walked, but was attractively high.

A stiletto heel isn't much good walking on the horrendous textures of what London government refers to as it's pavements. I was out the other evening walking along a bit of Oxford Street, and came as close as I ever have to taking a tumble because of some un-level pavement. Anyone following me, would have been impressed I went from nearly walking on (what surely would have become a broken) ankle, to recomposing myself on the following step and not falling over.  A bit like walking along on a kerb, and suddenly losing a foot down onto the road. My foot was just twisted away from underneath me, and of course I stumbled. (Always embarrassing.)   But I didn't go over. Must have gyro's for hips? 

Had I been wearing a stiletto heel, I'd have surely snapped it. Thankfully I was wearing the sturdier ALDO alternative, as seen in my avatar. :huh: Would still like to own a pair of Capestick though. Lovely fitting shoe as I recall.

• Like 1